Rumor: Bo Horvat All Purpose Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I do t see Colorado doing this

they moved their 23 1st and 2nd
they traded their 2nd in 23 and 24.

they will likely move players before moving a 1st Like newhook.

it woukd be something like trading Girard for a 2nd+ prospect to a non playoff team and thrn moving their 1st or that 2nd for a a 2C.

Can't trade Girard until we see if we can afford to keep Toews; otherwise you risk ending up with just Byram on the left next season. So any trade this season is more likely to involve picks & prospects than any of our left-shooting blueliners.

Though I expect us to opt for a cheaper option this season before going for a big-fix in the offseason...once we know whether it's Toews or Girard that we'll have to dangle for a permanent solution.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Any of those will cost arm and a leg.
2022 Toews is absolutely not costing an arm and a leg. The way O'Reilly looks to start this season, you'd basically be trading hoping he bounces back because he has not looked good to start this season at all, and I'm not one who would be willing to bet on someone on the wrong side of 30 to bounce back - it just doesn't happen.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
1st + Lysell beats both those offers very easily.

If Vancouver wants actual NHL players then they could offer Carlo as well if need be, their D is very deep at this point.

There’s no point in talking about cap space, every team will have no issue adding Horvat at that point in the season.

I agree that Horvat to Boston in UFA seems like a perfect fit, but they have Bergeron, Krejci and Coyle for this season, so they shouldn't be too desperate and willing to overpay drastically at the TDL. I don't see any reasonable argument for the Bruins to trade either Lysell or Carlo for a rental, even one they intend to try to keep like Horvat. Maybe if Horvat had another year or 4 left on his current deal, but not as a rental.

And cap space is still a concern, since most playoff teams won't be looking to add him as a long term piece because they simply can't afford his next contract. I think is going to significantly limit the number of teams with real interest, which should keep prices pretty reasonable. I certainly don't see how someone like Newhook becomes a requirement to even be in the ballpark.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Is what a player did 3 years ago really relevant though? How about just last year and this year?

Doesn't look any better for Horvat if you only take the last 1.2 years into account. Stephenson outscored him by even more last year and Horvats defensive numbers only get worse.

I chose 3 years because it was 3 years ago that Stephenson started playing 2C in Vegas. And since that time, he has outperformed Horvat in raw numbers and analytically.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
They actually got a 2nd and Barron. It's not really that great of a return, maybe fair/slight overpayment at best. Barron couldn't even make Montreal's team which had open spots...he's behind 4 rookies on D already.
Yea not a huge fan of the trade. I'd rather lehkonen

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I agree that Horvat to Boston in UFA seems like a perfect fit, but they have Bergeron, Krejci and Coyle for this season, so they shouldn't be too desperate and willing to overpay drastically at the TDL. I don't see any reasonable argument for the Bruins to trade either Lysell or Carlo for a rental, even one they intend to try to keep like Horvat. Maybe if Horvat had another year or 4 left on his current deal, but not as a rental.

And cap space is still a concern, since most playoff teams won't be looking to add him as a long term piece because they simply can't afford his next contract. I think is going to significantly limit the number of teams with real interest, which should keep prices pretty reasonable. I certainly don't see how someone like Newhook becomes a requirement to even be in the ballpark.
Boston will likely be as all in as you can get with it potential being Bergeron/Krejci last season and then looking like an elite team. Move Coyle to the W and they have by far the deepest forward group in the NHL to go with a top 5 defense and two goalies who have played like #1s. Horvat takes over #1C duties next season and Boston stays as contenders for quite a while.

I don’t know if they would trade Lysell, but you said they couldn’t beat Bowers or Kaut which they definitely could and could push Colorado to offer Newhook if they become desperate enough for a repeat run.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
From what I can tell:
Boston :will definitely try and sign him long term too. Have no problem trading for retention

Vegas: is Stephenson really a 2C? Have no problem trading for retention

Canes: KK ain’t it

Wild: depends if you see them as contenders

Kraken: see above
Stephenson has beem lights out for 2 straight years. Very good 2C.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I just don't see anything in the Colorado repertoire that would be at all enticing to me for a Horvat deal.

What's the "Centerpiece"? That 1st round pick, especially with Horvat...is going to be basically a 2nd Round pick. That's not nearly good enough. They don't have a lot in the prospect cupboards that feels like a centerpiece for a center of Horvat's caliber. They aren't going to move anything off the roster that makes sense. What are they actually going to move that is worth an ideal #2C who is producing like a #1C? Even as a rental, that's gotta be a hefty price at the deadline if the Canucks can't get a contract figured out.

The Toews thing makes a lot more sense to me. The acquisition price is going to be a lot less. Even if you have to pay an intermediary to eat some extra salary. Especially when you think about the fact Colorado likely wouldn't be in much of a widespread "bidding war" there. Only limited customers can even feasibly work that cap hit in (with retention). Also a limited number of suitors that Toews would likely be inclined to waive for. So they could end up with a bit of a captive market.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
So none of those guys will be an av. Temper expectations since all we heard last year was giroux giroux giroux… TDL.. no giroux

Reactions: Azrael89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad