Rumor: Bo Horvat All Purpose Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Does an insider really need to make such obvious proclamations. Pending ufas to contending teams. No shit. Time to start a new thread. I know towes isn’t a ufa but the other 2 are and towes possibly looking to move is old news
Apparently it does need to be said. Toews is a UFA

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
They actually got a 2nd and Barron. It's not really that great of a return, maybe fair/slight overpayment at best. Barron couldn't even make Montreal's team which had open spots...he's behind 4 rookies on D already.
Open spots? No they didn’t.

Barron could be in the NHL but he’s better off playing top minutes and getting warmed up in the AHL he’s 20.

Savard
Matheson
Edmunson
Guhle
Harris
Wideman
X
Kova

1 or two of these guys gotta go down once matheson is back.

They weren’t adding another rookie.

Guhle is already our best defender so he wasn’t beating him out.

Harris has played 4 years with men and was basically promised a spot to sign with mintreal

X brings factors no one else on the Habs does.

Kova was an obvious depth signing.

Where was barron supposed to play even if he was ready?

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bednar said there was going to be a lot of patience with Newhook so I suspect there is no panic yet - although quite obvious to everyone that if he doesn't progress - something will have to be done as using E-Rod or Compher in such a role outside of spot duty is not a recipe for success. Come February if this is still a major issue, then sure, I think Newhook would have to be looked at as part of a package going back to somewhere for somebody.

Byram is not going to be on the table, let's kill those Vancouver fantasies right here and now just as we did last year.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
From what I can tell:
Boston :will definitely try and sign him long term too. Have no problem trading for retention

Vegas: is Stephenson really a 2C? Have no problem trading for retention

Canes: KK ain’t it

Wild: depends if you see them as contenders

Kraken: see above

Assuming the Wild and Kraken accept that they aren't ready to go all in yet, we're looking at a couple of teams with very little cap space who don't have deep prospect pools. Not exactly a great situation for a bidding war to break out...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Montreal made out pretty good with a 1st and Byron. Sure Col won the cup and re-signed him, but I don't think they got fleeced.

If that was the return Montreal got, it'd be decent.

But a 2nd that was 3 drafts away and Barron is pretty meh. Especially for the guy who scored both the Western Conference and Stanley Cup clinching goals :laugh:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
How many playoff teams do you think need a 2C and will have the cap space to add him (or would pay extra for retention)?
Literally every team? LTIR cap space by the time the deadline rolls around will mean plenty of teams can afford Horvat's relatively favorable contract. Retaining on 3 months of an expiring contract is also very easy for the Canucks to do

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
From what I can tell:
Boston :will definitely try and sign him long term too. Have no problem trading for retention

Vegas: is Stephenson really a 2C? Have no problem trading for retention

Canes: KK ain’t it

Wild: depends if you see them as contenders

Kraken: see above
- Boston has Krejci...
- Vegas, Stephenson has absolutely proven he's a 2C at this point. He's literally been a better player than Horvat the last few years.
- Canes, they aren't going to bail on KK after just signing him to that extension. They also still have Jordan Staal.
- Wild are definitely a team that has a need for a Center
- Kraken: They aren't going to trade a 1st round pick for a rental Center. Certainly not when they aren't contenders yet, and they have both Beniers and Wright who will be Top 6 Centers very soon.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would never entertain a trade with Sakic. He fleeces everyone, every time.

Yeah but this time the Avs need a 2C and if they don't get one from now till deadline, they are not reaching another cup final. That 2C spot is a big hole when it comes down to final 8 and final 4 in the playoffs. Moving Rantanen there has ripple effects and it's not a permanent solution

All 3 centers are UFA's that other teams will be after as well. Each team selling will have the leverage and if Sakic don't want to pay, someone else will.

It's possible Sakic explores other options that are a bit under the radar.
* Could try a sign/trade for Dubois
* Monahan at 50% retention
* Eller if the Caps fall out the playoffs

Reactions: Nevins

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Aside from a presumably very low 1st, I don't see a ton for Colorado to compete in the bidding war for these guys. Newhook in particular - I just don't really see it tbh.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Assuming the Wild and Kraken accept that they aren't ready to go all in yet, we're looking at a couple of teams with very little cap space who don't have deep prospect pools. Not exactly a great situation for a bidding war to break out...
That’s why I said depending on a certain couple teams and where they are at cone deadline.

Horvat I I’ll have such a small cap hit come the deadline, especially if retained, that little to no cap space really won’t matter to anyone. All those teams have filler players they can include if need be.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
- Boston has Krejci...
- Vegas, Stephenson has absolutely proven he's a 2C at this point. He's literally been a better player than Horvat the last few years.
- Canes, they aren't going to bail on KK after just signing him to that extension. They also still have Jordan Staal.
- Kraken: They aren't going to trade a 1st round pick for a rental Center. Certainly not when they aren't contenders yet, and they have both Beniers and Wright who will be Top 6 Centers very soon.
Krejci is very old and Boston is going to be all in for a C replacement for the future as well, which Horvat will be a perfect fit

Last few years? Last season was the first season he’s scored more than 35pts in his career, and hasn’t been better this season.

Getting Horvat for one season isn’t giving up on KK, it’s acknowledging he’s not ready yet while they’re contending

Seattle could easily trade a 1st with already so many picks and they want to make the playoffs to build the fanbase/experience. Wright is unlikely to be with the team past Christmas

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't see Horvat ending up in Colorado. They likely won't part with the pieces to convince Vancouver to move him there and a late 1st and prospect like Olausson isn't likely to be more enticing than another team that could offer a center or defense prospect instead.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Yeah dont see a Vancouver Avs trade that involves Horvat. Byram is not moving, Newhook more than likely not.
I'd love ROR back but only if papa o'reilly stays away.

Reactions: Frenchy

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Yeah but this time the Avs need a 2C and if they don't get one from now till deadline, they are not reaching another cup final. That 2C spot is a big hole when it comes down to final 8 and final 4 in the playoffs. Moving Rantanen there has ripple effects and it's not a permanent solution

All 3 centers are UFA's that other teams will be after as well. Each team selling will have the leverage and if Sakic don't want to pay, someone else will.

It's possible Sakic explores other options that are a bit under the radar.
* Could try a sign/trade for Dubois
* Monahan at 50% retention
* Eller if the Caps fall out the playoffs
Sakic may leave it to Chris MacFarland, you know the GM of the team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sakic may leave it to Chris MacFarland, you know the GM of the team

Pointless post. Sakic is involved and the face of the franchise. Go away with your nit picking game.

Hey, maybe Shanahan should get more involved with what Dubois is doing? :sarcasm:

Yeah dont see a Vancouver Avs trade that involves Horvat. Byram is not moving, Newhook more than likely not.
I'd love ROR back but only if papa o'reilly stays away.

OK, so if not ROR or Horvat, who? Toews?

I don't see the Avs not adding a 2C before the deadline.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
- Boston has Krejci...
1668104331430.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They actually got a 2nd and Barron. It's not really that great of a return, maybe fair/slight overpayment at best. Barron couldn't even make Montreal's team which had open spots...he's behind 4 rookies on D already.

Premature opinion. Barron is playing AHL cause we want him to play big min's. We have to wait a bit yet to know if the trade is lobsided or not.

You might be right, you might be wrong. Crosby disagrees with you. Does that make you nervous? :sarcasm:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Apparently this was written before the Avs SOLVED the #2C problem by bringing back Galchenyuk... :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad