Blues Trade Proposals Part XXVII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
With all of the low value proposals by blues fans, maybe there won't be mass disappointment in the actual return for Shattenkirk.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The market for Shattenkirk should be good. There are multiple bidders, he's great value this year and young enough that his next contract will be prime performance years.

I think Armstrong is looking away from "hockey trades" and wants futures this time. That opens up a lot more flexibility in the deal. He's in a good position to get a very nice return. We don't know what Shattenkirk and his agent will be saying to any potential trade destinations. But his return should be something worthwhile for sure.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Would anybody be happy with a top 15 pick only for Shatty? (Obviousely it won't be a top 5, so somewhere from 6-15).

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Would you rather get a top 15 pick or watch Shattenkirk 1 more year as a Blue then walk in UFA and get nothing in return?

Or option C: we keep him and end up extending him. By all accounts, he wants to be here. I don't find in far fetched in the slightest to believe he'd be willing to stay.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Or option C: we keep him and end up extending him. By all accounts, he wants to be here. I don't find in far fetched in the slightest to believe he'd be willing to stay.

Definitely possible. If this happens do we shift one of Shatty or Parayko to the left side or do we continue to roll them in three different pairings? That's the problem with having our three best defenseman all playing the same side.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Agreed. I'd rather keep him and find a way to make it work than to get poor value. I know I am the only one, but I have suggested several times offering Parayko up, which would entail keeping Shatty. Shattenkirk had a poor year defensively, but that is outside the norm. He is a great 2nd pairing D for our team, because we have Petro and can shelter him. While Parayko is a beast, he also has a ton of value. We could get into the top 4-10 picks or an equivilant player plus even more with Parayko. Even if we don't trade Parayko, I'd still rather sign Shatty and try to make all 3 work rather than get poor value for him. We cannot lose Backes, Oshie and Shattenkirk for Copley, a 3rd and a mid first in a weak draft.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

I don't doubt he'd want to remain a Blue. The problem is we're in a cap era. The little amount of time Shattenkirk was on the left side he looked absolutely lost. Seeing that, I highly doubt he's ever moved to the LHD. I've heard comments of even moving Shattenkirk down to the 3rd pairing for good and utilize him on the PP. I doubt if Army breaks the mold and pays a 3rd pairing D 6+ million per year.

I have to believe Army is taking in all the offers and will move him for the best one he gets. Meaning, even if the offer isn't quite what he's looking for it's still better than watching him leave in free agency. Hitch publicly stated he saw Parayko as a 30 minute per night guy. I just think someone has to go and Shattenkirk is the odd man out.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Would you rather get a top 15 pick or watch Shattenkirk 1 more year as a Blue then walk in UFA and get nothing in return?

Highly doubt that is the best offer.
Shattenkirk is the best RHD and best PMD on the market. We should be able to fetch a good return, certainly better then a mid round pick.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I wonder if Florida could be a player for Shattenkirk. Their front office is going through some turmoil by the looks of it but they need help on the right side going forward.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Highly doubt that is the best offer.
Shattenkirk is the best RHD and best PMD on the market. We should be able to fetch a good return, certainly better then a mid round pick.

I'm not insinuating that would be the best offer. I'm just looking at the coin from the other side. If, (big word) but if a 15th overall was the best Army could get for Shattenkirk I'd still take it over watching him walk in just 1 year for nothing.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I wonder if Florida could be a player for Shattenkirk. Their front office is going through some turmoil by the looks of it but they need help on the right side going forward.

I suggested it before. They traded Gudbranson who logged big minutes on their right side. They got another center, so now they have a glut of them. Something around Bjugstad or McCann plus their first makes some sense.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Vatanen is off the market now, just re-signed with the Ducks, so if a team needs a puck moving defenseman their options are shrinking.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It can't hurt that Vatanen, Barrie, & Goligoski being off the table. We can only hope that is driving the price up for Shattenkirk. Yandle is still out there but he's a lefty.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Would anybody be happy with a top 15 pick only for Shatty? (Obviousely it won't be a top 5, so somewhere from 6-15).

Only if someone I consider a top-10 pick drops to the pick in question...and then I'd probably want a small something else as well.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'm not insinuating that would be the best offer. I'm just looking at the coin from the other side. If, (big word) but if a 15th overall was the best Army could get for Shattenkirk I'd still take it over watching him walk in just 1 year for nothing.
Army has already displayed he'll keep an upcoming UFA knowing he would walk. I think Backes is an example of that, so if the value for Shattenkirk isn't there I don't think Army moves him.
I suggested it before. They traded Gudbranson who logged big minutes on their right side. They got another center, so now they have a glut of them. Something around Bjugstad or McCann plus their first makes some sense.
Florida already stated Bjugstad won't be moved.
I could see them flipping McCann+ for Shattenkirk (it is rare, but does happen).

McCann was apparently moved outta Vancouver because of locker room issues, however has good possession numbers and I think he is going to be a solid top 6 center down the road. He is also very young.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Army has already displayed he'll keep an upcoming UFA knowing he would walk. I think Backes is an example of that, so if the value for Shattenkirk isn't there I don't think Army moves him.

I don't think the two are apples to apples because Backes had the NTC. The rumor was Army tried packaging Backes in a deal to Boston last offseason and Backes nixed it.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Florida already stated Bjugstad won't be moved.
I could see them flipping McCann+ for Shattenkirk (it is rare, but does happen).

McCann was apparently moved outta Vancouver because of locker room issues, however has good possession numbers and I think he is going to be a solid top 6 center down the road. He is also very young.

Florida has a lot of the kind of players I'd want in return for Shatty. Even if Barkov and Bjugstad are off the table(which I'm not sure I completely believe); there's Trochek, Huberdeau and Reilly Smith that they'll also have to make decisions on before the Expansion draft(and they can't cover everybody with Bolland, Jokinen and Luongo having NTC's). I doubt they'll be able to keep all of them and you know they won't want to lose any of them for nothing.

Shatty for one of those young guns would make a lot of sense for both teams.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Florida has a lot of the kind of players I'd want in return for Shatty. Even if Barkov and Bjugstad are off the table(which I'm not sure I completely believe); there's Trochek, Huberdeau and Reilly Smith that they'll also have to make decisions on before the Expansion draft(and they can't cover everybody with Bolland, Jokinen and Luongo having NTC's). I doubt they'll be able to keep all of them and you know they won't want to lose any of them for nothing.

Shatty for one of those young guns would make a lot of sense for both teams.

I believe you can elect to leave a player with a NTC available for selection. It's a player with a NMC which must be protected.

Smith and Trochek would both be great adds that I didn't think of. However, no chance we land Barkov, maybe Bjugstad but Florida seems to really like Bjugstad.

Florida is a team that could be in the mix, I can see a fit especially since Florida wants to be competitive.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Both Shattenkirk and Yandle are in for a big pay raise.
Do you think they'll get comparable deals? Why/why not?

I don't think Shattenkirk should return to the Blues, only because it's a luxury to have that much $$ tied up on the right side of our defense, and Parayko's emergence has made Shatty expendable.

But--if we can use that salary to upgrade the left side, and get a real top pairing defenseman to play alongside Pietrangelo, surely that would be money well spent.

Both Yandle and Shattenkirk will get ridiculous offers, but I would bet that the Blues' success this season would make StL an attractive destination for lots of free agents. Assuming Yandle would want to come here, and knowing that you still need to retain one of Backes/Brouwer, pay Schwartz, and find another top-6 center if you can, how would you make it work?

Again, we're assuming that you want to.

I've suggested moving Bouwmeester, and others have pointed out that's not likely, as he either has a NMC or a NTC--but that's not the dealbreaker it's made out to be, and he's not our only option.

I've also suggested trading Schwartz--but only if we can't get him locked into a reasonable contract. If he's pricing himself out of the StL market, we should move him without delay for the center this team needs, but we shouldn't be looking to move him just to do so.

Shattenkirk we can flip for a pick. Moving Bouwmeester and Schwartz to EDM for Maroon + RNH/Draisatl would save, I'm guessing, about $3M in cap space. If Brouwer walks, we can afford to keep Backes, and maybe Upshall, too. We'll assume Sobotka gets flaky again and stays put, and Ott walks. If so, that's $$ for Brodziak to return, or for a 4th line C to replace him. And I would keep Paajarvi, unless he's beaten out for a spot in camp, as he's proven a decent utility player. I'd want to bring Bortuzzo back, also, as we saw how important it was to maintain defensive depth.

Fabbri--Stastny--Tarasenko
Steen--RNH--Backes
Maroon--Lehtera--Jaskin
Upshall--Brodz/?--Reaves
Paajarvi/Rattie extras

Yandle--Pietrangelo
Edmonson--Parayko
Gunnarson--Bortuzzo
Lindbohm

Am I smoking crack, or is that a nice looking roster?
Sure it's unlikely, but I don't think it's infeasible.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I believe you can elect to leave a player with a NTC available for selection. It's a player with a NMC which must be protected.

Smith and Trochek would both be great adds that I didn't think of. However, no chance we land Barkov, maybe Bjugstad but Florida seems to really like Bjugstad.

Florida is a team that could be in the mix, I can see a fit especially since Florida wants to be competitive.

I think the Panthers would be more willing to move Bjugstad than Trochek. I don't know the context of Florida saying Bjugstad isn't moving, or if they even said that. But Trochek passed Bjugstad on their depth chart. I guess i all depends on what Trochek wants on his upcoming contract. If he willing to sign a similar deal to Bjugstad, than Florida would almost definitely prefer him. If he wants more, I am not sure I want him.

I also don't see them moving Smith or Huberdeau. Jagr will retire soon, so they'd be foolish to trade their good young wingers. Its center that is the backlog. You can always shift a center to wing, but why when the current wings work. Huberdeau and Smith scored 50+. Why hold on to a more expensive 3rd line center in Bjugstad who scored 34 points and move the proven top 6 wingers? Especially when you just acquired a 3rd line center in McCann.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I think the Panthers would be more willing to move Bjugstad than Trochek. I don't know the context of Florida saying Bjugstad isn't moving, or if they even said that. But Trochek passed Bjugstad on their depth chart. I guess i all depends on what Trochek wants on his upcoming contract. If he willing to sign a similar deal to Bjugstad, than Florida would almost definitely prefer him. If he wants more, I am not sure I want him.

I also don't see them moving Smith or Huberdeau. Jagr will retire soon, so they'd be foolish to trade their good young wingers. Its center that is the backlog. You can always shift a center to wing, but why when the current wings work. Huberdeau and Smith scored 50+. Why hold on to a more expensive 3rd line center in Bjugstad who scored 34 points and move the proven top 6 wingers? Especially when you just acquired a 3rd line center in McCann.

In that post I was really just throwing some names in the blender to see if we can find something tasty. Didn't look into what Florida's needs are.

Also, with Shattenkirk, if were looking to save salary I think Army would prefer McCann to Bjugstad anyways.
http://www.litterboxcats.com/2016/5...thers-trade-vancouver-canucks-erik-gudbranson
This article goes on to mention McCann moving to wing and playing with Bjugstad. Maybe that was the Panthers intention, maybe not.

I'd prefer McCann because I think his ceiling is higher then Bjugstad's, but I'm fine with either.

Also, I'm 110% certain Ekblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, are fully untouchable and that Smith and Trochek will take an overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad