Blues Trade Proposals Part XXVII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Just looking at the draft order, and noticing Boston has San Jose's pick at 29 as well as their 14. If we packaged Shatty and the 28th, Boston could realistically afford to trade us the 14th because they could then package the 28th and 29th to move up. I think Shatty and the 28th easily gets us the 14th. Boston may even add. Any thoughts?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Just looking at the draft order, and noticing Boston has San Jose's pick at 29 as well as their 14. If we packaged Shatty and the 28th, Boston could realistically afford to trade us the 14th because they could then package the 28th and 29th to move up. I think Shatty and the 28th easily gets us the 14th. Boston may even add. Any thoughts?

Shattenkirk is worth a lot more than the difference between a mid round 1st and the 28th. Think about it in terms of what players you'd expect to take.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Boston has been talking 14+ for Shattenkirk... if we moved him Shattenkirk+1st for the 14th.... I'd request my "**** Armstrong" membership papers.... that trade would be a vicious kick to the jewels

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Agreed that would be horrible value, if we're getting a mid 1st for Shatty we also should be receiving a top prospect as well or an established top 6 player(preferably younger).

I still think there is a package to be built to acquire number 6 from Calgary: Allen Walman and 28 should get it done, if say PLD falls to 6 i would pony up and pay.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Very unlikely PLD falls. He won't make it past Vancouver.

If Army can get 4-10 pick we should come out of the draft with an excellent prospect(I know that's basically a given)

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Whoah.... in my defense, I wasn't advocating Shatty and the 28th straight up for the 14th. I was simply making the 14th the centerpiece of a potential deal.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No, he isn't. The Blues are not retaining salary and we're not moving him as a cap dump. People can point at Lucic all they want, there are no similarities between the situations.

Edit- Not to mention that we probably don't have a second trade in place that would qualify it as a 3way trade.

Yandle is the value comp. Top prospect, 2nd round pick, conditional 1st round pick.

Yandle is his comp, but the situation was different. All of those values are roughly the same anyway, just different pieces.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Very unlikely PLD falls. He won't make it past Vancouver.

If Army can get 4-10 pick we should come out of the draft with an excellent prospect(I know that's basically a given)

I think there is more value to be had by taking the 14th pick. We'd have to give up our first/Shatty+ to move into that territory. When you consider we could probably get the 14th+ simply for Shatty, the return on payment is much higher moving down to the 14th. There are still going to be some elite potential picks left at that point in the 1st round.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
With Det wanting to move Datsuyks contract i wonder if we could flip them Bouw for DDK?

DDK and Datsuyks 1 year 7.5mil cap hit

for

Bouw and a small cap dump

This deal means we would for sure be trading Shatty for futures or kids on their ELCs

Jmann08

May 6, 2015

The Blues traded David Rundblad for pick 16 so Shattenkirk plus pick 29 for pick 14 would be considered absolute crap.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
Agreed that would be horrible value, if we're getting a mid 1st for Shatty we also should be receiving a top prospect as well or an established top 6 player(preferably younger).

I still think there is a package to be built to acquire number 6 from Calgary: Allen Walman and 28 should get it done, if say PLD falls to 6 i would pony up and pay.

There are some rumors floating around of Marc-Andre Fluery going to Calgary which would take away their interest in Allen.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
It's not about the hate, it's about retooling our roster and building it with guys in their mid 20s or younger to go with our current young core: Pie ParaykoTank Schwartz Fabbs. Another productive young stud or two and we would be guaranteed a decade of dominance IMO.

Maybe my original proposal was a little off base but im of the theory sometimes you have to take one step back b4 you can move 3steps forward.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
It's not about the hate, it's about retooling our roster and building it with guys in their mid 20s or younger to go with our current young core: Pie ParaykoTank Schwartz Fabbs. Another productive young stud or two and we would be guaranteed a decade of dominance IMO.

Maybe my original proposal was a little off base but im of the theory sometimes you have to take one step back b4 you can move 3steps forward.

Taking on 7.5 million in dead cap is not a step back.... That's essentially taking next year off. With Hitch on his last season is that really something you expect the front office to do? Not a chance.

Not to mention, it's a terrible idea to begin with.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I wonder what everyone's mindset on going all-in for next year would be if we had lost game 7 to Chicago?... Hell Dallas took us 7 without their best player.

Here are my thoughts:

We don't know if Backes and Brouwer are getting resigned or not.

So going into next year we could possibly be without Shatty(Trade), Backes, and Brouwer. I just don't see this team getting past Chi and Dallas without ALL of those players in their prime.

Speaking of prime, from my viewings Backes hasn't been the same player since the Seabrook hit so i would balk at giving him a long term deal and the style he plays just doesn't help the longevity of his career. (I.E. wouldn't want a Kesler deal)

Therefore, infusing some youth into this team would be a great move IMO. And it starts with trading Shatty for futures: Hopefully a mid to high first and a top prospect.

If this happens then why not take a cap dump for another player (I.E. Teravainen), or swapping someone our late first for a mid first.

With both these moves we could possibly acquire 3 quality assets that will most likely be anywhere from 1-3 years from making an impact (Hopefully more Fabbris :yo: ). Which is why i wouldn't mind the cap dump if we acquire a young piece in return.

Once again this is all just my opinion, i just personally would rather have a longer Window to win a cup then keep going 'all in'

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There is no chance in hell that Shattenkirk, Backes and Brouwer won't be replaced by anyone.

I don't understand why that is even a concern. Doug Armstrong's philosophy is winning now. Even if you disagree with his moves, he still went after Brouwer instead of a 1st or prospect for Oshie.

I'm not his biggest fan but he's not going to sit there and do nothing. He's going to add players to the roster if those 3 are gone.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I didn't know Arizona was going after 2, but I'd be surprised if they went after Goligoski and Shattenkirk as their 2. With OEL at $5.5, that would be a good bit spent on defense. And they have some good RFAs they need to sign, plus Michaelek under contract. They'd probably have to move an RFA D in trade to bring in Shatty, and we don't have need. I'm not an expert on Arizona, but who would they push out for Shatty....

OEL - Stone
Goligoski - Murphy
Connauton - Michalek

Pair Shattenkirk with OEL, move Michalek to 7th and push Stone and Murphy down?

Michalek doesn't need to play every night anymore and Connauton is a fringe NHL'er similar to a Chris Butler.
They could certainly use another D man to round out their top 6.

Arizona also has a ton of prospects they could use as trade chips. Probably aren't going to get Strome(won't rule it out completely because you never know when a GM is going to make a stupid move; and Chayka is certainly a candidate to be taken advantage of); but any kind of package from the 7th overall, Dvorak, Dauphin, Fischer, Merkley and MacInnis would be a great haul.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Michalek doesn't need to play every night anymore and Connauton is a fringe NHL'er similar to a Chris Butler.
They could certainly use another D man to round out their top 6.

Arizona also has a ton of prospects they could use as trade chips. Probably aren't going to get Strome(won't rule it out completely because you never know when a GM is going to make a stupid move; and Chayka is certainly a candidate to be taken advantage of); but any kind of package from the 7th overall, Dvorak, Dauphin, Fischer, Merkley and MacInnis would be a great haul.

Agreed on Connauton, although I think he has a little better than Butler. They have Tinordi on the left to replace him, but I am not sure he is better at this point, although he has a little more upside. But those guys 3rd pairing guys on the left. They can get a guy for that role cheap if they need to.

Stone, Murphy and Michalek are a solid right side, especially if Murphy takes strides forward like he should. Michalek may not need to play every night, but again, you can invest in a cheap 3rd pairing guy to split time with him and Connauton. Why pay Shattenkirk level money and give up, let's say the #7OA to push Stone/Murphy out of the top 4? With OEL and Goligoski, its not like they are short offensive defensemen. Stone was .5 ppg last season too and has a great point shot if you need a RH shot.

Just not seeing the upside of trading valuable young talent, like Strome, 7thOA or Dvorak (are you kidding me?) for Shattenkirk if they sign Goligoski. They have 3 good top 4 guys and a 4th who played well in that role last year at 23. They'd be better served getting a more stay at home guy for their 3rd pairing in FA, since that is what they are lacking, and keeping their youth.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Vatanen extend his contract 4-years

Vatanen's deal is four years, $19.5 million. $5M in 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19. $4.5M in 2019-20

So Shattery's value up!!!

giphy.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Seriously with Hamonic, Barrie, Vatanen and Trouba not being traded, who else is even in the trade market on defense? Maybe someone from Minnesota, but the Blues really need to cash in on Shatty.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Not necessarily.
This means that Lindholm or Fowler are likely dealt, I guess from a RHD standpoint that raises his value but it isn't like he is the only defenseman up for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad