Blues Trade Proposals Part XXVII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If the Blues can only trade one player let it be J-Bow. His play is horrendous!!

In game 7 I stopped counting his mistakes. There was one that had me yelling at the TV while my wife questioned my sanity as clearly J-Bow couldn't hear me. One sequence early in the game Dallas had the puck in our zone for too long. The Blues' forwards were getting gassed and starting to stand still. J-Bow gets the puck and can shoot if off the boards or flip it out, anything just get the ****ing puck out of the zone!! What does he do? Circles back around like he's a Dallas forward!! The puck gets turned over and Dallas continues to attack. Meanwhile J-Bow can't hear all the pleasantries I'm accusing him of being.

J-Bow has to go!!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If the Blues can only trade one player let it be J-Bow. His play is horrendous!!

In game 7 I stopped counting his mistakes. There was one that had me yelling at the TV while my wife questioned my sanity as clearly J-Bow couldn't hear me. One sequence early in the game Dallas had the puck in our zone for too long. The Blues' forwards were getting gassed and starting to stand still. J-Bow gets the puck and can shoot if off the boards or flip it out, anything just get the ****ing puck out of the zone!! What does he do? Circles back around like he's a Dallas forward!! The puck gets turned over and Dallas continues to attack. Meanwhile J-Bow can't hear all the pleasantries I'm accusing him of being.

J-Bow has to go!!

I remember that play too....puck stayed in the zone for a LONG time

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Bouwmeester has been pretty bad. He's still a top 4 guy, but not worth 5.4. I'd dump him for the cap space. Then maybe sign an UFA to replace him hopefully a little less money. Who the guy is would depend on the term.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
There are a number of teams that would trade for Bouwmeester, and I'm sure he'd waive for his preferred destination. The problem is that he is our best LHD and we are almost certainly trading Shattenkirk.

Moving 2 of our top-4 defensemen would be a bigger shake up than anything Armstrong has done.

Not that I'd be against it, just that it isn't what we should expect.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If we dump Bouwmeester, would Shattenkirk not be extended and kept?

I wouldn't trade both.

Pietrangelo, Parayko and Shattenkirk are all RHD.

You could work special teams so that they all get significant minutes, but it is going to leave an awkward situation.

Shattenkirk/Parayko to the left side? It hasn't worked so far.
We'd likely have ~$17.5m invested in RHD in 2017/18; does that mean we are getting 3 average LHD or is our defensive group going to be insanely expensive?

If we see Parayko as being a 25+minute a game defenseman, we have to trade Shattenkirk. It's a poor use of cap space to keep him.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Pietrangelo, Parayko and Shattenkirk are all RHD.

You could work special teams so that they all get significant minutes, but it is going to leave an awkward situation.

Shattenkirk/Parayko to the left side? It hasn't worked so far.
We'd likely have ~$17.5m invested in RHD in 2017/18; does that mean we are getting 3 average LHD or is our defensive group going to be insanely expensive?

If we see Parayko as being a 25+minute a game defenseman, we have to trade Shattenkirk. It's a poor use of cap space to keep him.

That is very true.
I just don't know what we get for Shattenkirk. I can't think of any realistic proposal.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There are a number of teams that would trade for Bouwmeester, and I'm sure he'd waive for his preferred destination. The problem is that he is our best LHD and we are almost certainly trading Shattenkirk.

Moving 2 of our top-4 defensemen would be a bigger shake up than anything Armstrong has done.

Not that I'd be against it, just that it isn't what we should expect.

Bouwmeester is under contract with the Blues for THREE more seasons.

I would be OK with keeping the guy even though he has lost his offensive game, but lately, he has been bad defensively too. His tumble on the penalty kill in game six was a heartbreaker.

At this point, I'd rather see Gunnarsson out there than Bouwmeester on the top pairing. Carl doesn't have much offense to his game either, but he has been a top pairing guy in his career, right? (With Toronto, when they were really bad, but still...)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If we dump Bouwmeester, would Shattenkirk not be extended and kept?

I wouldn't trade both.

Contrary to what Hitchcock has said, I think Shattenkirk looks very inferior on his off-side. Its been a dicey experiment. I'd rather take a declining Bouwmeester and the return for Shattenkirk.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Maybe we can Trade Bou for a Top6 RW (or a pick+forward prospect and just bring back Backes/put Fabbri there) and Shattenkirk for a LHD? Still, I'd rather trade Shatty for a young center with #1 upside and a pick and leave Bou unprotected for the draft/trade.

ILLSTL217

Apr 16, 2015
Look at what the Cardinals have done in the past after successful seasons. You have to have turnover and have to know when to cut ties with declining players. Despite what happens this postseason, I am still in favor with cutting ties with Backes, Brouwer, and trading Shatty. We cannot kill ourselves in the future with bad contracts and I would rather focus on extending Schwartz and even Parayko.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'd argue that Gunnarsson has been the most consistent LHD on the Blues.

I don't see Army trading J-Bow but I think he should. I don't see a huge deal in trading Shattenkirk and J-Bow in the same off season. Parayko will be the #2 RHD going forward so that spot is secure. The 3rd RHD is up to Bortz & Schmaltz. It's not going to surprise me either if Schmaltz gets more ice time next year then is being talked about currently.

If J-Bow was dealt there are some options in free agency. Or it opens a spot up on the left side. It depends on what stage the Blues see their prospects at too. I didn't think the Blues would roll 2 rookie D all season long heading into this season but they did.

Who knows, maybe the D next year is:

Gunnarrson Pietrangelo
Edmundson Parayko
Walman Schmaltz/Bortuzzo

All I know is J-Bow didn't just start looking deficient when the playoffs started. He's looked bad a big part of the entire year.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'd argue that Gunnarsson has been the most consistent LHD on the Blues.

I don't see Army trading J-Bow but I think he should. I don't see a huge deal in trading Shattenkirk and J-Bow in the same off season. Parayko will be the #2 RHD going forward so that spot is secure. The 3rd RHD is up to Bortz & Schmaltz. It's not going to surprise me either if Schmaltz gets more ice time next year then is being talked about currently.

If J-Bow was dealt there are some options in free agency. Or it opens a spot up on the left side. It depends on what stage the Blues see their prospects at too. I didn't think the Blues would roll 2 rookie D all season long heading into this season but they did.

Who knows, maybe the D next year is:

Gunnarrson Pietrangelo
Edmundson Parayko
Walman Schmaltz/Bortuzzo

All I know is J-Bow didn't just start looking deficient when the playoffs started. He's looked bad a big part of the entire year.

I feel Lindbohm would make it over Walman [or at least be in the conversation].
If we trade Bouwmeester I'd like to sign another good defenseman, rather then playing Walman or Lindbohm. Maybe signing Kyle Quincey or John-Micheal Liles are cheap bottom pair options.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There's no way the Blues would go with that young of a defense.

I think the Blues should just package Shattenkirk and Lehtera for the best center they can get. Maybe that's Krejci from Boston, along with a guy like Colin Miller as well. I would be willing to add a bit more if necessary. I don't see either of those 2 fitting into our long-term plans and that's a type of trade that I think would basically put us over the top and make us extremely good.

The team has already shown they are close, so I would keep everything else pretty much the same. I'd love to replace Bouwmeester with a cheaper option but like it's been mentioned, it's probably not realistic.

Shattenkirk and Lehtera are definitely the guys I'm trying to trade this summer if I am Armstrong.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis

I think the Blues should just package Shattenkirk and Lehtera for the best center they can get. Maybe that's Krejci from Boston, along with a guy like Colin Miller as well. I would be willing to add a bit more if necessary. I don't see either of those 2 fitting into our long-term plans and that's a type of trade that I think would basically put us over the top and make us extremely good.

The team has already shown they are close, so I would keep everything else pretty much the same. I'd love to replace Bouwmeester with a cheaper option but like it's been mentioned, it's probably not realistic.

Shattenkirk and Lehtera are definitely the guys I'm trying to trade this summer if I am Armstrong.
Getting Colin Miller would be nice, but unlikely Boston goes for it. He was their best possession defenseman and most productive defenseman offensively. Especially considering he's 23. We don't need Miller as we have some young D and are set on the right side. It's more likely Boston throws in a forward [not sure which one] then a defenseman.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

I would agree the chances are slim they roll that group of 6 D. If they signed a legitimate LHD they could have 2 veterans in X & Gunn but that would leave Edmundson as the 3rd pair. Ed looked ok for most of the year but he's really been exposed in the playoffs. I hope he gets better and he probably will but I don't really see him with a high ceiling either.

Walman is 20 (birthday in Feb), Schmaltz is 22 (turns 23 in Oct), Dunn is 20 (turns 21 in Sept), Lindbohm is 22 (turns 23 in Sept).

Parayko (turns 23 today), Fabbri (just turned 20) Edmundson (22 birthday in Jan)

Age is a relative stat. Are they good enough is the only question I care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad