Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For our future #1 D, I do think we are likely in a position where we either need to draft a Josi, Slavin, Parayko, Faber, or any of the other guys that get drafted either in the late 1st or mid-rounds that develop into a top pair dman, or we have to trade/sign one. And maybe it's a situation where we draft enough guys that are top 4 caliber, but not quite #1 level, and we can trade from an eventual strength in depth to acquire an upgrade.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I think it starts with at least looking at the trade market for young defenseman. I still think we'd be good trade partners with Montreal. I know he has his history, but Mailloux could be someone they move. Has had a great rookie season in the AHL, and Reinbacher looks like he could already pass him on their right side depth chart.

Thankfully, it looks like Lindstein and Kessel will be full time NHLers, and I still think we have 5 more years of Parayko at this level.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Trading Neighbours would be like trading a young Brind'Amour
I agree with you about the value of Neighbours and the pleasant surprise he has been this year. How much of that development into an effective net front guy is Neighbors being special, and how much is part of a reproducible process this staff could accomplish with someone else with his skill set?

Reactions: ArenaRat

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
What Neighbours gives you is Pressure From Below

I have complained for years about Kyrou. Is the one thing he most needs a 21 year old on his same team who objectively has less talent and experience in the league just absolutely jamming the net for goals and overtaking his goal production?

Last game I saw Neighbours jam the net for goal 1, then Kyrou jam the net for goal 2 with Jake immediately right there jumping into his arms, then I saw a confident Kyrou actually finishing his offense with a feel of determination, with a trailing score, in the third period, on the road, against a team fighting as hard as you are. Tarasenko used to do that routinely, for years and years and we loved him for it.

Another thing - the Blues have a 4th line with a young player with the same identity already in place. So now they will have the Neighbours scoring line and the Toropchenko line pushing the blue paint culture steadily, and it will build. I think there are going to be a bunch of scrums and Kessel will be involved in many. If this team identity could drag Parayko into a Scrum Man that would be something to see too

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree with you about the value of Neighbours and the pleasant surprise he has been this year. How much of that development into an effective net front guy is Neighbors being special, and how much is part of a reproducible process this staff could accomplish with someone else with his skill set?
I think the credit has to go to Neighbours. If it was easy to recreate that type of player, wouldn’t we see more players scoring like he does? I really only see a few others around the league making the same type of impact so I am not confident at all that we could reproduce this.

And I also echo what others are saying. Even if we can reproduce this with other players, I want them to complement Neighbours and make this a team identity. I want more players like Neighbours, we need to build on this and have others learn from him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I still find it wild that he only has 19 PIM this season, with 125 hits, and especially with the areas that he plays in.
You can play physical and not stupid. This is one of the problems I have with Brady. He does both. Neighbours is an example of a guy who can be physical and not kill you with PIMS. That era is dead. TK was one of my favorite players, so I get the affinity for guys like that. But in the game today it is less valuable.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Bit of both. The need/desire to go net front, and things like positioning and leverage can be taught. Neighbours is really, really strong though. He has good balance and center of gravity. That helps. It seems like he is real hard to muscle out of position. Someone with less muscle could learn what he knows and be successful less often.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Sorry, but I am not convinced there will be one by the time we draft.

It depends: lets say we will draft at 16... Guys like Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson and Buium will certainly be gone. I'm sure a team will drool at the potential of Parekh and will take a shot at him, so he's probably gone aswell. However, I wouldn't rule out that Yakemchuk (needs to improve certain skills) or Jiricek (injury concerns) will still be available at 16 though, but they're more long shots.

You could compare the Jiricek situation with Carson Lambos a couple of seasons ago. Before his injury he was considered to be a bonafied top-10 pick, but due to his injury he 'fell' to #26. I don't know if Lambos is a good example as I highly doubt he will ever be a top-4 defenseman, but it does show that injury concerns could drop a once highly regarded prospect quite a bit in the draft.

An other example is Sandin-Pellikka in the last draft. Also highly regarded, partly due to his play in the WJC but went off the board a little bit later than expected at #17. I 'could' see the same thing happening to Yakemchuk.

If everything falls the right way in their development both Jiricek and Yakemchuk could still be really good top-4 defensemen, however the chance to bust is also a lot higher than with guys like Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, Buium.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The run on the top defensemen available will happen inside the top 12 picks.

So for me that's the group of Dickinson, Levshunov, Buium, Silayev, Yakemchuk and Parekh and I project them to all be off the board by pick 13. That leaves us without a good target besides Jiricek who played all of 19 games for his club team and got injured on his opening shift at the WJC. I like Jiricek but he's a bit of a project so if my top group of 6 are gone then I'm taking a forward at 16th, preferably a center like Boisvert if Iginla is already off the board.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It depends: lets say we will draft at 16... Guys like Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson and Buium will certainly be gone. I'm sure a team will drool at the potential of Parekh and will take a shot at him, so he's probably gone aswell. However, I wouldn't rule out that Yakemchuk (needs to improve certain skills) or Jiricek (injury concerns) will still be available at 16 though, but they're more long shots.

You could compare the Jiricek situation with Carson Lambos a couple of seasons ago. Before his injury he was considered to be a bonafied top-10 pick, but due to his injury he 'fell' to #26. I don't know if Lambos is a good example as I highly doubt he will ever be a top-4 defenseman, but it does show that injury concerns could drop a once highly regarded prospect quite a bit in the draft.

An other example is Sandin-Pellikka in the last draft. Also highly regarded, partly due to his play in the WJC but went off the board a little bit later than expected at #17. I 'could' see the same thing happening to Yakemchuk.

If everything falls the right way in their development both Jiricek and Yakemchuk could still be really good top-4 defensemen, however the chance to bust is also a lot higher than with guys like Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, Buium.

Not too familiar with the Carson Lambos particulars, would Timothy Liljegren be another similar situation to what you're advocating - where a lost season dropped him from a consensus top 8 pick after his D-2 season when he missed a significant amount of his D-1 season (or was hindered by mono IIRC during the fleeting appearances). Fell to 17, and took a bit of time to find his way, but now plays 20+ mins a night regularly?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Article on Snuggerud - Overthinking over, Jimmy Snuggerud begins NCAA tourney re-focused on a title

Pretty standard “focused on the task at hand, will decide on the NHL later.” response.

But it does talk of him perhaps thinking about it too much earlier and it impacting his game. We also debated here if he was dealing with an injury and this article indicates that yes, he has been dealing with one.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Lindstein's Brynas squad, the top team in HockeyAllsvenskan, next faces Stenberg's team in fight to get promoted. Would be ideal if Brynas wins this and the following series so Lindstein has SHL role next year on team that he has grown with. Stenberg is on loan so whether his team gets promoted is of less concern as he has SHL team to return to.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I like what I have seen from Bolduc, Dvo, Neighbors and I'll even throw Toro in there. Good size, decent skating, willingness to get physical and in the case of Toro and Neighbors just jamming the net for goals. I would sincerely appreciate the team identity to turn into that. I think Snuggerud plays the same from what I saw in the WJC, correct me if I'm wrong.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Lindstein's Brynas squad, the top team in HockeyAllsvenskan, next faces Stenberg's team in fight to get promoted. Would be ideal if Brynas wins this and the following series so Lindstein has SHL role next year on team that he has grown with. Stenberg is on loan so whether his team gets promoted is of less concern as he has SHL team to return to.
I wonder if Robertsson will play with Brynas or his SHL team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad