Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Probably a stupid question, but does that it actually work that way if we assign him to a team in a European league like the SHL/Allsvenskan (after playing max 9 games)? I know it doesn't if we assign him to Springfield or a ECHL-team. I always thought that rule only applied when we send the player back to a junior league?
Any player under 20 as long as they don't turn 20 by Dec 31st of that year. (He turns 20 on Jan 5th)

Reactions: Beauterham

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
watched last night's springfield game. observations:

i don't see any real nhl prospects at forward there. dickinson was guy i wanted to see and he didn't play. the forwards they have tend to be small and not that skilled. had limited zone time. not impressed but wasn't expecting to be. and vrana was invisible, fwiw.

i thought ellis looked good. didn't look "small". seemed confident. i'm not predicting he becomes good nhl goalie, but i'm not ruling it out.

the d group most interested me. there were 3 older journey-men types (coughlan, rosen, kalynuk) who are what they are. the 3 "prospects" were skinner, malmstrom, and loof.

skinner- is better than i expected when we acquired him. good size, 22 (for another month) rhd. i don't see any standout skills but looked comfortable out there and feel like there is a bit more. i think he has it in him in time to be a good ahl d who could potentially fill in at nhl level and not be terribly out of place. don't expect he ever becomes nhl regular, but it wouldn't completely shock me if he got some games at some point.

malmstrom- he is big but a bit lumbering. his top speed seems a bit better than tucker, but his feet look a bit heavy. i think at his size he likely skates well enough for 3rd pairing nhl role if his game comes around but he has long way to go. missed first fe months with injury and has only played 10 ahl games this season (and handful last year). things looked like they were moving a bit fast for him. not someone i would be penciling into future lineups. he just turned 24, so if he is going to make himself a prospect clock is ticking.

loof- my first thought was i don't know if he is thick enough to play physical game he wants to play, but he is wiry and i think the strength isn't going to be an issue. he moves quite well for d his size, smooth and comfortable. handles puck fine but isn't likely going to be point producer. i thought he was a bit frenetic. this is his first year in NA and i think he hasn't fully digested how to play at smaller rink size. i'd love to see him get bigger role in springfield next year, let him play big minutes all situations. he wasn't ready for that this year but i think he might be ready to next year, if not thrive at least to grow into it. i am optimistic that he can in time, if he progresses at desired pace, ultimately become a 4/5 guy (marco type, albeit a better skater). d tend to take longer to develop, but if we are patient with him i think there is a player there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Loof is the one I'm curious about at camp next year. Not that he'd be ready, but how does he compare to the NHL guys and then to someone like Kessel who recently made the jump up. If we can hit on guys like him and Kessel as 4/5 types, if Lindstein can hit sooner than later as a 2/3/4 type, it would really be nice if we can somehow get a young 1/2 type into the system.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This draft is a momentous one for the club. Even Stancl and Pekarcik get me all tingly.
And Fischer looked very good for a freshman d-man at Notre Dame. Played top pairing.

Burns also looking good.

Susuyev hasn’t put up a ton of pts but has played mostly in the KHL, which is pretty impressive for a 18-19 year old.

Mayich is the only one seemingly not having a season where it’s obvious he’s taking a good step in his development.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
And Fischer looked very good for a freshman d-man at Notre Dame. Played top pairing.

Burns also looking good.

Susuyev hasn’t put up a ton of pts but has played mostly in the KHL, which is pretty impressive for a 18-19 year old.

Mayich is the only one seemingly not having a season where it’s obvious he’s taking a good step in his development.
Forgot about Burns! Doh

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think we have a lot of Defensemen that all have Solid 3rd pairing projections. But we only have 1 that have top 4 projected potential (Theo). Burns and Fischer I think will be good 3rd pairing d-men. Buchinger is the biggest question mark. I think he has probably the 2nd highest ceiling in the defensive prospect group after Theo. But that really just depends on if his offensive play can transition into the NHL.

Reactions: Drubilly

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think we have a lot of Defensemen that all have Solid 3rd pairing projections. But we only have 1 that have top 4 projected potential (Theo). Burns and Fischer I think will be good 3rd pairing d-men. Buchinger is the biggest question mark. I think he has probably the 2nd highest ceiling in the defensive prospect group after Theo. But that really just depends on if his offensive play can transition into the NHL.
I mostly agree, but I'd also argue that a few of those have potential to be top 4, but more as a #4. I think Kessel has upside of logging a bunch of minutes as a #4. Buchinger I think has some Dunn type upside. I do think we have a handful of guys that can reasonably be more than simply 15-16 3rd pair dmen.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think it depends more on if his defensive game can develop. Buchinger’s D isn’t great at the Jr level so I’m curious how he adapts to the AHL next season.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Burns also looking good.

I would disagree on Mayich. Seen him several times. His overall game and play have improved. He will be a LT project. He grew a bunch in size last year and I was surprised he was drafted. He has shown why this year. Next year, he should be one of THE guys and see what we have. (Meaning they should be one of the better teams in the CHL) Plays a smart game. I was drawing a blank earlier on his partner as he has played a lot with Henry Mews and that requires a lot of effort defensively. He plays top minutes as his defensive defenseman.

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I mostly agree, but I'd also argue that a few of those have potential to be top 4, but more as a #4. I think Kessel has upside of logging a bunch of minutes as a #4. Buchinger I think has some Dunn type upside. I do think we have a handful of guys that can reasonably be more than simply 15-16 3rd pair dmen.

Why it's imperative to get a potential #1 d-man in this year's draft.

ExtraExtra888

Jul 10, 2023
Juraj Pekarcik with 3 more assists tonight. He's 2nd in the USHL in assists, most of the league leaders in assists have played 10-15 more games than him. 2 of his assists tonight were quite nice. He's got great awareness of where his teammates are. He's still just 18, I think we've really got a player here. I really hope we see him in the AHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad