Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yes, he's our 4th goalie...but the fact that our 4th goalie actually appears to be playing a bit better than our 3rd goalie right now IS something to talk about.

That's not that uncommon. I'm not sure their deployment right now, but backups tend to get easier deployment and more rest. So better numbers is not a surprise. Hofer has better numbers than Binner.

Don't get me wrong, I am super happy Ellis is doing well. But its a small sample size. Let's see if he keeps it up. Zherenko had insane numbers to start the season too, and normalized as teams got the book on him.

Reactions: Blueston

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

Snuggerud named to 2023-24 First-Team All-Big Ten Conference team​

The forward put up 34 points (21 goals, 13 assists) in 37 games for the Minnesota Golden Gophers this season, his second in the NCAA after he had 50 points (21 goals, 29 assists) in 40 games last season.

Snuggerud, who could leave college and sign his first professional contract at the conclusion of this season, which hasn't been decided yet, sits now and awaits with the Golden Gophers (22-10-5) where they will head to when the NCAA Tournament brackets are released.

With St. Louis and Centene Community Ice Center being one of the sites for a regional March 29-31, there's a chance for Blues fans to see Snuggerud in action before he dons the Bluenote for the first time.

Snuggerud joined elite company as only he and Thomas Vanek have hit the 20-goal mark in each of their first two collegiate seasons at Minnesota over the last 25 years.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
In fairness, though, both Zherenko and Ellis have been getting shelled with between 40 and 50 shots every game recently, so there's that.
Not a horrible situation for a goalie to develop in…and it sounds like the AHL team is executing the parent club’s strategy to perfection: lose the possession game and get badly outshot, and try to squeak out one goal wins after the other team tires themselves out on offense!

Reactions: Fez Whatley

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Can we sign anyone and fit them under our cap? I’m not that savvy on that side but according to cap friendly I don’t think we can? If so, could we sigh Snuggy and another?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Someone mentioned that Lindstein's contract runs out at the end of this season, which increases the chance to sign him to a ELC as soon as his season is over (and loan him back to Brynas for one more season). I've noticed Simon Robertsson's contract runs out aswell and the same goes for Arseni Koromyslov. Especially for the former, this might be the moment to sign him (if we were planning on doing that anyway) as it might get a lot harder to as soon as he's inked a new deal in Russia. We will at least have to wait a few more seasons in doing so.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can we sign anyone and fit them under our cap? I’m not that savvy on that side but according to cap friendly I don’t think we can? If so, could we sigh Snuggy and another?

Cap isnt' a concern with ELCs. If we want to sign Snuggy, we can. If we want fo call him up to NHL, we just send literally anyone down or on IR.

Putting a player in the AHL, their salary doesn't count against the cap up to around $1.025M (amount changes every year, not sure what it us this year) . So if a player makes $950k, that whole amount does not count. If they make $2m, the only $975k goes to cap. But we still get $1m relief we can use on an ELC

That said, there is zero reason to have him in the NHL. He is not ready.

Damian Frerker

Jun 17, 2021
what are your opinions on Liam Greentree? Big kid. from what i’ve read seems like a Neighbors type which we could use some more of. Tankathon has us taking him at 14

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Cap isnt' a concern with ELCs. If we want to sign Snuggy, we can. If we want fo call him up to NHL, we just send literally anyone down or on IR.

Putting a player in the AHL, their salary doesn't count against the cap up to around $1.025M (amount changes every year, not sure what it us this year) . So if a player makes $950k, that whole amount does not count. If they make $2m, the only $975k goes to cap. But we still get $1m relief we can use on an ELC

That said, there is zero reason to have him in the NHL. He is not ready.
I’d prefer Snuggerud just start his contract next season with a PTO to finish this season in Springfield but I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to dangle the carrot of a few games with the Blues down the stretch and burning the first year if his contract to get him to sign.

To fit him on the roster, all they’d need to do is send Dean back to Springfield. Get Dean a few games between now and then and then give Snuggy a few games. Again, my preference is he goes to Springfield to finish out the season but the Blues can add him to the NHL roster if they really want to.

Snuggerud’s season could be over as soon as next Thurs/Fri. The selection show for the tourney is this Sunday. For now, Snuggy and the Gophers wait to see where they’ll draw after losing to Michigan in the Big10 semis (Michigan plays Mich St for the title on Saturday). The Gophers are currently ranked 8th so that’d suggest a 2 seed in the tourney but I’ll guess they end up a 3 seed. Michigan is ranked 10th and just beat them. If they also beat #5 Mich St, they’ll definitely jump the Gophers.

The Blues are connected to two of the regional locations - Maryland Heights and Springfield. So either of those would allow Snuggy a peak into his future. The other locations are Sioux Falls (pretty close to Minnesota) and Providence.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
what are your opinions on Liam Greentree? Big kid. from what i’ve read seems like a Neighbors type which we could use some more of. Tankathon has us taking him at 14
I like him. If the Blues stay in about the same draft spot, he should be in consideration.

There’s a 2024 Draft thread though. Probably a better place for it.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The Gophers are currently ranked 8th so that’d suggest a 2 seed in the tourney but I’ll guess they end up a 3 seed. Michigan is ranked 10th and just beat them. If they also beat #5 Mich St, they’ll definitely jump the Gophers.

The Blues are connected to two of the regional locations - Maryland Heights and Springfield. So either of those would allow Snuggy a peak into his future. The other locations are Sioux Falls (pretty close to Minnesota) and Providence.
Michigan is not going to jump them. The rankings for playoff seeding are computerized.

We are predicting the Gophers will be in Sioux Falls at this point.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Michigan is not going to jump them. The rankings for playoff seeding are computerized.

We are predicting the Gophers will be in Sioux Falls at this point.
Fair enough. I’ll take your word for it as you clearly follow it more closely. But that appears to be based off of simulating this weekend’s games. The math won’t change if the results don’t match what the simulator says is most likely?

But either way, they’ll either be a 2 seed playing a 3 or a 3 seed playing a 2. Those are usually close to toss-ups regardless.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Fair enough. I’ll take your word for it as you clearly follow it more closely. But that appears to be based off of simulating this weekend’s games. The math won’t change if the results don’t match what the simulator says is most likely?

But either way, they’ll either be a 2 seed playing a 3 or a 3 seed playing a 2. Those are usually close to toss-ups regardless.
The simulation runs all the scenarios and gives the overall probability of a given seed by team.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
While we are talking college hockey, Dartmouth is one single win away from reaching the finals of the ECAC tournament on Friday. That doesn't sound impressive, but this is a program that sends guys to the NHL and has not even made the finals of its own small conference tourney in 44 years. It has never won. It has not made the NCAA tournament field a single time in 44 years. That is so incredibly hard to pull off. I've got to give the retired hapless 20 year coach Bob Gaudet a lot of the credit. He would grouse in the media about my tennis ball tradition and then just find a way to fail every time.

Dec 15, 2002
My guess with Lindstein: he ends up going back to Sweden for '24-25, but not before getting a shot at a 9-game tryout.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
My guess with Lindstein: he ends up going back to Sweden for '24-25, but not before getting a shot at a 9-game tryout.

Probably a stupid question, but does that it actually work that way if we assign him to a team in a European league like the SHL/Allsvenskan (after playing max 9 games)? I know it doesn't if we assign him to Springfield or a ECHL-team. I always thought that rule only applied when we send the player back to a junior league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad