OT: Blue Jays/MLB Thread 2023

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I mean probably less than that, but also whatever he wants
It will be much less than that but the point about inflation remains.

87.7 Million as a cap for NHL salaries next season but I wonder what it will be a decade from now?

I remember Phil Esposito's story about driving a front end loader in the off-season to try and make ends meet. That's before your day but my how times have changed.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lots of conspiracy shit on twitter about how Ohtani camp played Rogers lol

Apparently the random private plane dude is managed by the same agency that manages Ohtani and it was all a ruse to get LA to bend over more cash haha

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I'm not sure why Ohtani's salary is that surprising. It looks to me that professional athletes in major sports should be getting paid even more than what they currently are, generally speaking.

For instance, Steph Curry is the highest paid player in the NBA this year, at $51M. The Golden State Warriors franchise has increased in value over the years to almost $8 billion, and its annual revenue was reported to be around $765M last year. Their salary cap allocation for this year is around $226M. So after paying the players, including Curry's $51M, GSW's revenue is probably about $500M. Any guesses as to where the majority of that revenue is going?

And just look at the Oilers. Katz bought the team for around $170M in 2008. The valuation of the Oilers now is reported to be around $1.6B. That's a $1.4B increase in 15 years. That's almost a 10x increase. The salary cap when Katz bought the team in 2008 was about $56M. It's going to $87M next year. I took a quick look and couldn't find the Oilers' revenue, but I did see a recent report that said the lowest revenue in the NHL was about $400M. Say the Oilers have the lowest revenue in the league (they don't), after paying salaries, they're still bringing in over $300M. Again, where is the majority of that going?

The Dogers are valued at over $5B and generated over $600M in revenue. Their expected payroll looks to be around $220M next year, with Ohtani's $70M a year, which leaves them with revenue of over $300M. Where is the majority of that money going?

I'm just going to say it. I would much rather see the athletes getting more money than the owners continuing to make money hand over fist for doing essentially nothing. To make a larger point, I think professional sports provides a good representation of how capital increasingly vastly outearns labour in our society.

I get revenue isn't profit, that this is back-of-the-napkin math, etc. But the point stands that Ohtani should probably be making even more money.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm not sure why Ohtani's salary is that surprising. It looks to me that professional athletes in major sports should be getting paid even more than what they currently are, generally speaking.

For instance, Steph Curry is the highest paid player in the NBA this year, at $51M. The Golden State Warriors franchise has increased in value over the years to almost $8 billion, and its annual revenue was reported to be around $765M last year. Their salary cap allocation for this year is around $226M. So after paying the players, including Curry's $51M, GSW's revenue is probably about $500M. Any guesses as to where the majority of that revenue is going?

And just look at the Oilers. Katz bought the team for around $170M in 2008. The valuation of the Oilers now is reported to be around $1.6B. That's a $1.4B increase in 15 years. That's almost a 10x increase. The salary cap when Katz bought the team in 2008 was about $56M. It's going to $87M next year. I took a quick look and couldn't find the Oilers' revenue, but I did see a recent report that said the lowest revenue in the NHL was about $400M. Say the Oilers have the lowest revenue in the league (they don't), after paying salaries, they're still bringing in over $300M. Again, where is the majority of that going?

The Dogers are valued at over $5B and generated over $600M in revenue. Their expected payroll looks to be around $220M next year, with Ohtani's $70M a year, which leaves them with revenue of over $300M. Where is the majority of that money going?

I'm just going to say it. I would much rather see the athletes getting more money than the owners continuing to make money hand over fist for doing essentially nothing. To make a larger point, I think professional sports provides a good representation of how capital increasingly vastly outearns labour in our society.

I get revenue isn't profit, that this is back-of-the-napkin math, etc. But the point stands that Ohtani should probably be making even more money.
Not a surprise?

The guy makes more than the highest paid NBA/NFL and NHL players combined.

His contract alone is worth more than the entire payrolls of 8 other MLB franchises.

Athletes might put butts in seats, but it's not an honest reflection of the money they're really bringing in to the owners. By this I mean it's all smoke and mirrors. For example, just yesterday when Toronto thought they had Ohtani, the sticker price on opening day tickets was $212. Less than 24 hours later when they realized they wouldn't be getting him, they plummeted to about $50. Star athletes are just a means for owners to gouge the f*** out of the people who support their teams.

700million dollars absolutely insane.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Not a surprise?

His contract alone is worth more than the entire payrolls of 8 other MLB franchises.

Athletes might put butts in seats, but it's not an honest reflection of the money they're really bringing in to the owners. By this I mean it's all smoke and mirrors. For example, just yesterday when Toronto thought they had Ohtani, the sticker price on opening day tickets was $212. Less than 24 hours later when they realized they wouldn't be getting him, they plummeted to about $50. Star athletes are just a means for owners to gouge the f*** out of the people who support their teams.

He makes $700M over 10 years.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I'm aware. It's still almost the equivalent of the entire Oilers franchise in Canadian dollars.
It's less than half, but whatever. The Oilers are valued at $1.6B USD.
Not a surprise?

This sort of helps prove the point. Ohtani alone may have quadrupled ticket prices and probably would have helped sell more.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
1702265421873.png

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
What's the deep drive into left field story with this guy? People keep referencing it.
Reds play by play man was caught on a hot mic using a homophobic slur during a game. He was told about it during the game and was in the process of apologizing on air for it when Castellanos hit a homerun and he stopped apologizing to say "and there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a homerun."

People started using it as a form of meme where they would be saying something, especially if apologizing and then they'd just go "and there's a deep drive to left".

Here's a way, way, way too long explanation about it haha: How "A Drive Into Deep Left Field by Castellanos" Became the Perfect Meme for These Strange Times

Reactions: BlackDogg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Funny how yesterday he was the greatest baseball player of all time, and today he’s a designated hitter coming off of major surgery who is obscenely overpaid. ;)

Struds probably had that tweet written in November lol.

It's very common in Toronto when they don't sign a guy that all of a sudden the next day he isn't as good as he was the day before.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Reds play by play man was caught on a hot mic using a homophobic slur during a game. He was told about it during the game and was in the process of apologizing on air for it when Castellanos hit a homerun and he stopped apologizing to say "and there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a homerun."

People started using it as a form of meme where they would be saying something, especially if apologizing and then they'd just go "and there's a deep drive to left".

Here's a way, way, way too long explanation about it haha: How "A Drive Into Deep Left Field by Castellanos" Became the Perfect Meme for These Strange Times
Ha I remember that now, I had no idea it turned into a meme. Thanks

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

New article about him.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I read that Ohtani is deferring most of his salary so the a dodgers can try to win.

This is a guy who has his head on his shoulders. Gave his mom all of his stipend money for like two years or something. Mom gave him like $900 a month.

Stayed in rookie forms more than a year when he didn't have to. Comes from humble beginnings. His mom still works. She says the success of his son doesn't mean she can't work.

I stopped watching baseball a long time ago, but I was hoping he came to Canada

Sounds like blue Jay's got used

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

and this is why I refuse to root for a team in Toronto...these Toronto fart-sniffing media members can't get out of their own way

has Sid Seixiero ranted or ripped on Ohtani for his decision and having the audacity not to sign there yet?

• Haha

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

and this is why I refuse to root for a team in Toronto...these Toronto fart-sniffing media members can't get out of their own way

has Sid Seixiero ranted or ripped on Ohtani for his decision and having the audacity not to sign there yet?

Pretty sure this is tongue in cheek. This journo is a Sasky who now lives and works out of Toronto.

I get the hate for Toronto media and self absorbed attitude that earns the centre of universe cheerleading. It's earned to some degree. But as a lone MLB Canadian based franchise I can't stand how it (& Canada) is perceived in broader media circles as a foreign, second rate northern output. Same challenges to some degree with NBA. More of a Blue Jays bandwagon fan, I will still cheer for some of the game's best talent to choose to play in Canada. I can't watch NBA anymore but similar hope for its lone Canadian team to have success.

An Ohtani signing could have been transformational for the Jays but also an amazing cultural one having a world best talent chose career and life in Canada.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Can someone explain this to me like I'm 5? I don't understand the MLB's soft cap/luxury tax or deferred contracts.
In summary, there are rich teams and poor teams, and the rich teams set the rules, and everybody is okay with it.

Smart move by Ohtani, he’s already
making around 50M per year in endorsements, now the Dodgers can add some more talent to win now.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Can someone explain this to me like I'm 5? I don't understand the MLB's soft cap/luxury tax or deferred contracts.
It’s all about avoiding the high tax rate in California. He’ll move somewhere with a much lower tax rate after the 10 year deal is up and then pay way less income tax in another state or most likely home country of Japan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad