OT: Blue Jays/MLB Thread 2023

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Baseball still bewilderes me. They play 30 something ex games, they play 162 reg season games then have utterly stupid one game and best of three playoffs where you don't even expose the teams whole rotation.

I heartily approve of the rules changes I'll say that. I never liked the glacial pace of batter and pitchers between pitches. Not sure what the bigger bases are supposed to do.

Not sure what to think about the rule against the infield shift. On the one hand it's a good thing for the hitters but on the other hand......learn to go to the opposite field instead of pulling everything!

Jays did not do enough to be true contenders.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Baseball still bewilderes me. They play 30 something ex games, they play 162 reg season games then have utterly stupid one game and best of three playoffs where you don't even expose the teams whole rotation.

I heartily approve of the rules changes I'll say that. I never liked the glacial pace of batter and pitchers between pitches. Not sure what the bigger bases are supposed to do.

Not sure what to think about the rule against the infield shift. On the one hand it's a good thing for the hitters but on the other hand......learn to go to the opposite field instead of pulling everything!

Jays did not do enough to be true contenders.
The opposite of that is, there should be a lot more athletic and exciting fielding plays now. Instead of just standing there while the ball gets hit to one of 6 guys, they'll have to learn to chase it down and make the play.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m watching team Mexico smoke team USA in the World Baseball Classic and what I’m not seeing is many Mexicans on this team. I knew from watching in previous years that Americans dominated rosters from Italy and Israel to name two but I’m surprised to see so many on Mexico. What’s the point of this tournament?

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wow these team canada WBC jerseys are truly awful. The away greys they're wearing tonight looks like something you'd buy at Canadian Tire for $15.

I’m watching team Mexico smoke team USA in the World Baseball Classic and what I’m not seeing is many Mexicans on this team. I knew from watching in previous years that Americans dominated rosters from Italy and Israel to name two but I’m surprised to see so many on Mexico. What’s the point of this tournament?

It's the World Cup of Hockey for baseball. Since the MLB (not unlike the NHL) doesn't permit their players to go to the Olympics this is the only time any of them get to play for their country.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wow these team canada WBC jerseys are truly awful. The away greys they're wearing tonight looks like something you'd buy at Canadian Tire for $15.

It's the World Cup of Hockey for baseball. Since the MLB (not unlike the NHL) doesn't permit their players to go to the Olympics this is the only time any of them get to play for their country.
This is a god awful tournament. None of the games I’ve watched have even been competitive. I’ve watched something called the World Baseball Classic before and it hasn’t looked anything like this. I haven’t followed the lead up to this so I don’t know what’s changed but this is unwatchable and I don’t think I’ll waste a lot more time on it.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You’ll see trade Bichette first.
Absolutely! Guys game at short hasn't improved a lick since he hit the big club.

This is a god awful tournament. None of the games I’ve watched have even been competitive. I’ve watched something called the World Baseball Classic before and it hasn’t looked anything like this. I haven’t followed the lead up to this so I don’t know what’s changed but this is unwatchable and I don’t think I’ll waste a lot more time on it.
Duque Hebbert. Story of the tourney.

Reactions: Cloned

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
JFC!
Bassitt gives up solo HR's on the first 2 regular season pitches in a Blue Jays uniform.
3 HR's total & now 4-0 after 1 inning.

Even worse debut than Jack Campbell.

Reactions: Beerfish

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
JFC!
Bassitt gives up solo HR's on the first 2 regular season pitches in a Blue Jays uniform.
3 HR's total & now 4-0 after 1 inning.

Even worse debut than Jack Campbell.
I think having him call his own games is going to be an issue for him. The new rules, combined with the number of pitches he throws makes it hard for the catcher to call things. I wonder if he’s going to need to drop a few pitches so they can do it with Jansen calling it, that or maybe after a few starts Jansen starts to figure out what he wants and can start to call the game for him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Bassitt, Yikes.

Gausman’s debut wasn’t bad despite the score and the loss but Manoah’s and Bassitt’s were horrendous. It gets even scarier knowing the next two are Berrios and Kikuchi. Pitching is such a crap shoot right now with these new rules.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm not sure I like this pitch clock thing. I think you're going to see a lot more homers this year because of pitchers not getting set, having a proper grip on the ball, etc and hanging alot of pitches.

I'd say f*** it and take the ball unless it was already ball 3.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I'm not sure I like this pitch clock thing. I think you're going to see a lot more homers this year because of pitchers not getting set, having a proper grip on the ball, etc and hanging alot of pitches.

I'd say f*** it and take the ball unless it was already ball 3.
I’m good with it, there’s more pace to the game and I think everyone will settle in and adjust, but you need to be zoned in and ready to go on both sides of the ball. The shorter game time is nice to be able to sit down and watch a game too,

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Okay, who had Kikuchi having the best start first time thru the starting rotation on their bingo card?
Kikuchi looked really good. More importantly than that he was mentally engaged out on the mound and fun to watch. Last year he looked like he didn’t want to be there. Good for him. I’ll look forward to his next start to see if this attitude becomes the norm for him.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Kikuchi looked really good. More importantly than that he was mentally engaged out on the mound and fun to watch. Last year he looked like he didn’t want to be there. Good for him. I’ll look forward to his next start to see if this attitude becomes the norm for him.
Would be significant if he plays well this year. He might be benefiting from the pitch clock rules. I get the sense he can get in his own way a bit mentally and this new pace may be exactly what a guy like him needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad