OT: Blue Jays/MLB Thread 2023

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Can someone explain this to me like I'm 5? I don't understand the MLB's soft cap/luxury tax or deferred contracts.
While technically legal, I think this is going to cause quite a stir amongst the league, and especially with the new CBA. It would set a very dangerous precedent with regards to deferrals moving forward I would think. Other teams can't be overly happy about this.

Yamamoto to LA basically confirmed now.

Reactions: TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can't wait to see more and more of these deferrals and then all of a sudden one day the money is owed and the teams don't have the money to pay for it.

It's things like this that eventually lead to the owners needing the commissioner to put rules in because they can't help themselves get excited about new shiny toys.

While technically legal, I think this is going to cause quite a stir amongst the league, and especially with the new CBA. It would set a very dangerous precedent with regards to deferrals moving forward I would think. Other teams can't be overly happy about this.

Yamamoto to LA basically confirmed now.
Be very interesting to see if the MLB takes a page out of the NHL books and indirectly punish teams for their stupidity in the past.

Reactions: rboomercat90

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
I can't wait to see more and more of these deferrals and then all of a sudden one day the money is owed and the teams don't have the money to pay for it.

It's things like this that eventually lead to the owners needing the commissioner to put rules in because they can't help themselves get excited about new shiny toys.

Be very interesting to see if the MLB takes a page out of the NHL books and indirectly punish teams for their stupidity in the past.

That is essentially how Mario Lemieux positioned himself to initially become an owner in the Penguins. He was owed so much money from deferred salary, that when the owner on the Pens at the time was getting pretty close to going tits-up, as one of the top creditors, Lemieux translated that into a pretty nice equity stake in the organization. Could see more of this type of thing happen, if they continue handing out these type of deferred salary deals.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What a shrewd move by Friedman in the Ohtani deal. He leaves organization Ohtani can opt out of contract. There is some job security

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Cody Bellinger would certainly not be a terrible consolation prize for the Jays. Pretty consistent 30 HR and near 100 RBI man for the most part of his career.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nothing more heart warming than a near billionaire giving a luxury car that he didn’t have to pay for to the spouse of a guy making $8 million year. That really got me in the feels.
Crying in my Chevy Cruze.

It is also simultaneously crying oil and coolant at an alarming rate.

• Haha
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Blue Jays in agreement with veteran DH Justin Turner​

Maybe not the sexy big impact signing Jays fans were hoping for, but I think this is solid. He showed he still has some pop in his bat, and will bring some veteran leadership and big time situational hitting into their stagnant lineup.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Blue Jays in agreement with veteran DH Justin Turner​

Maybe not the sexy big impact signing Jays fans were hoping for, but I think this is solid. He showed he still has some pop in his bat, and will bring some veteran leadership and big time situational hitting into their stagnant lineup.
Can he still play 3rd?
It would be nice if he could play 1st too.
edit: just looked it up & he played 41 games at 1st, 10 at 2nd, & 7 at 3rd last year as well as 143 at 3rd 2 seasons ago so, good signing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad