OT: Blue Jays/MLB Thread 2023

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How long before Toronto media puts out articles stating "how much respect Ohtani showed Toronto" as he soundly rejected them?

"You could see in his eyes how much he respects the Blue Jays as he told them 'f*** no, I won't sign with you. I just used you to get more money from the Dodgers'"
He was using them for a better offer

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

My heart hoped for the Jays (even though I'm an Expos guy). But my small reptilian brain believed it was going to be sunny California; f***ing Dodgers; their status as a blue blood franchise; and their wheel barrow of greenbacks. What I don't like is hearing their ability to weasel around the Luxury Cap implications. Think they should have to pay full luxury tax freight of the implication of their $700 million investment.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't really get the dunking in this thread.

Unlike the Leafs, the Jays actually are Canada's team.

I mean a signing would of been cool for Canada.

I wasn’t following the media closely but I just thought it would happen. Seems like every huge player is signed by the Yankees or Dodgers.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
If there were no Edmonton Oilers, would you cheer for the Flames?

I don't really get the comparison unless you're referring to ex-Expos fans who hate the Jays. (I don't actually know if that was the dynamic between the two teams. I didn't really follow ball when they were around.

Ohtani choosing to come to Canada would have been amazing. I guess only he will know if he was actually considering doing it.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Wonder what the tax implications are in comparison. I think California is high but are they higher than Canada?

I root for the Jays so I’m disappointed but it’s fun to see people from Toronto cry.

Toronto thinks everyone loves them and that couldn’t be farther from the truth.
They always have to go after the biggest fish possible. Uncanny.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Wonder what the tax implications are in comparison. I think California is high but are they higher than Canada?

They always have to go after the biggest fish possible. Uncanny.
I'll try to find it but I saw on a website that broke down salaries. John Tavares sees I think it was 46 or 48% of his salary, the rest gone to provincial and federal taxes. I do believe for 41 games they are taxed to the province or state they are playing in so I don't know how that factors in.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I root for the Jays so I’m disappointed but it’s fun to see people from Toronto cry.

Toronto thinks everyone loves them and that couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Funny how yesterday he was the greatest baseball player of all time, and today he’s a designated hitter coming off of major surgery who is obscenely overpaid. ;)

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
You think the crying out of TO is loud now just wait until McD re-signs in Edmonton for 8 years after his current deal is over!

Eat shit Leafs/jays fans!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I guess, all seems "interesting" to put in mildly

But then again, Bobby Bonnilla, who signed big deal with the Mets in 1999, is still being paid by the Mets (until 2035) and the Orioles (until 2028), he retired from baseball in October 2001 lol.
To put this Bonnilla contract in more hilarious context. He signed the original deal before I graduated highschool and will get paid until my 8 year old turns 20 lol

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To put this Bonnilla contract in more hilarious context. He signed the original deal before I graduated highschool and will get paid until my 8 year old turns 20 lol
Bonnilla took deferrals on his contract, at an interest rate, so have to consider the time value of money.

But, man, $70 mill for Ohtani per season? I mean, Judge did get like $40 mill per so if the Dodgers matched that for Ohtani as a hitter, means that they are paying him $30 mill as a pitcher. But, how many starting pitchers last past age 35?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Bonnilla took deferrals on his contract, at an interest rate, so have to consider the time value of money.

But, man, $70 mill for Ohtani per season? I mean, Judge did get like $40 mill per so if the Dodgers matched that for Ohtani as a hitter, means that they are paying him $30 mill as a pitcher. But, how many starting pitchers last past age 35?
Othani is getting a bunch deferred as well. Makes me wonder if the dodgers will be on the hook to pay when it's to his estate lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad