Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
We can see the above spoilers without highlighting them, since white shows up against light grey. I just tried the lightest grey font color and it's too dark, so it's readable, too.

Ah, ok, the tag to use is [spoiler ] (i.e. "[spoiler ]Text[/spoiler ]"), similar to the last board, but with the "er."

Example:
The Titanic sinks at the end!!!!

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Studio was anticipating a 50M opening weekend

On pace for 31-36M
Bummer. But I mean...some people who have seen it want a sequel and...I don't. The open ended stuff that could be used for a sequel...I don't know. I don't think it would be very Blade Runner unless its done subtly.

Anyway maybe people are turned away by the long run time and people saying it has a gradual pace. In any case...bad performance is probably going to run the risk that Hollywood turns away from blockbusters of this quality and just keep going with dumb and fun.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Saw it in Dolby Cinema. Blew me away. Some minor complaints about the lack of score and that's basically it. Even Harrison Ford conjured up his best performance in years for this one.

If you hate this movie... complain about pacing or whatever you want. If you can't at least respect the artistry on display, you are lost.

I don't want Hollywood to pump out sequels, but this movie deserves way better than $35m. What a joke.

Reactions: R S

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Saw it in Dolby Cinema. Blew me away. Some minor complaints about the lack of score and that's basically it. Even Harrison Ford conjured up his best performance in years for this one.

If you hate this movie... complain about pacing or whatever you want. If you can't at least respect the artistry on display, you are lost.

I don't want Hollywood to pump out sequels, but this movie deserves way better than $35m. What a joke.
Really it's an indictment of modern cinema goers at this point.

And the most annoying part is most of the people I know who line the hell up for anything Marvel churns out and any dumb action movie has the same complaint that Hollywood is too shallow these days. But there's a blockbuster movie that towers over the quality of most Hollywood films these days and people aren't going out to see it. The more I think about it the more frustrated I get because after seeing the film one of the things I kept thinking was "maybe this will change the Hollywood blockbuster for the better." I guess I was too naive.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Fury Road suffered a similar fate. Time will be the judge of these movies.

If Deakins doesn't at least get his Oscar for this, I'm going to really be soured on movies as a whole. The man delivered.

People said the movie is 'slow' and I don't agree at all. It's only slow if you aren't able to just soak it in. In a lot of ways, that makes it the perfect sequel to the original.

The Atmos mix really adds to the experience, especially in the action sequences, so I highly recommend anyone wanting to see this to seek out a Dolby Cinema.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Feel free to debate any of the above spoilers or try to prove me wrong, I welcome it. Now I want to see the original and compare the 2.

I don't need to say anything - once you've seen the original you'll understand it better. ;)

I enjoyed it to be honest, I had the original in my head the whole time but took it as a different beast. I don't think it was too long, the story was ok if not outstanding - I predicted the plot twists but if you haven't seen the original they'll be harder to see coming which works I think. There are a few holes but nothing so major it hurts.

In summary: Solid film, not groundbreaking but better than most I've seen lately.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Really it's an indictment of modern cinema goers at this point.

And the most annoying part is most of the people I know who line the hell up for anything Marvel churns out and any dumb action movie has the same complaint that Hollywood is too shallow these days. But there's a blockbuster movie that towers over the quality of most Hollywood films these days and people aren't going out to see it. The more I think about it the more frustrated I get because after seeing the film one of the things I kept thinking was "maybe this will change the Hollywood blockbuster for the better." I guess I was too naive.
I know many smart people that go to the movies to unwind and have a good time (not implying that you can't do either of those things with Blade Runner 2049). I don't like judging people's intelligence based on what kind of entertainment they consume though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I know many smart people that go to the movies to unwind and have a good time (not implying that you can't do either of those things with Blade Runner 2049). I don't like judging people's intelligence based on what kind of entertainment they consume though.

Your time is limited. How you choose to spend it is a reflection of who you are. If you mindlessly binge reality TV, that says something about you, the same way reading something challenging during your freetime does. If you continually consume things that are 'nothingness' about 'nothingness', you shouldn't be surprised if the world starts to reflect that preference.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Fine. It's still frustrating to hear the average movie goer complain about a general lack of quality in the industry and then they steer clear of Blade Runner because it might be a more challenging film to digest. And it's frustrating because Blade Runner's good performance could change mainstream cinema for the better. Don't get me wrong. I love sitting my butt in the cinema to take in fun and dumb, but I also LOVE films like Blade Runner 2049. It will unquestionably be one of my favorite films of the last 5 years (I wanna watch it again before I say that definitively). But movies like this are so few and far between. Villenueve gives so much credit to the audience that their attention spans will be strong enough along with attention to detail and subtle cues, but it's unfounded given the weak performance at the box office. I'm not saying the average movie goer is stupid, but they are afraid of films that are more intellectual and artistic in my opinion. They don't want to take in a more challenging watch. And it's not even like 2049 was overly deep. There are parts of the film that have handholding for the audience, but the run time and lack of action in every scene seems to be giving people pause and it really shouldn't.

Dunkirk did well because it was a short war film which derives substance from tension rather than thoughtfulness. 2049 is a visual spectacle that benefits greatly from a huge budget, but it is way higher in quality than movies with similar budgets. I WANT movies like this. But audiences not turning out is gonna continue the trend that films like this will be rarities. And that's just an upsetting idea. Obviously works of art in cinema can be made with much less money but films like Mad Max Fury Road and 2049 are visual spectacles that deliver high quality that we just don't see that often anymore. EDIT: Ultimately this is why television is beating mainstream cinema in terms of quality. It boggles my mind that Westworld is as popular as it is (rightfully so) but 2049 is struggling. My only explanation is that Westworld is included in the subscription to HBO that people already pay for and people don't have to go out and pay money at the theaters to see it. 2049's struggles to me is the best example that Hollywood is losing to Netflix and HBO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks5551

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I loved this movie. Was a fan (not a huge huge fan like a lot of people) of the original, thought this one lived up to and/or exceeded the original.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I loved this movie. Was a fan (not a huge huge fan like a lot of people) of the original, thought this one lived up to and/or exceeded the original.
I think it benefits people more to have seen the original before a lot of the improvements in filmmaking of the modern era took place.

I appreciate and respect what Blade Runner did for cinema, and I enjoyed it. But I still take issue with parts that many people defend to death. It's a flawed film but with time and through it's cult status, those flaws get swept under the rug.

I must have watched it too late in the game because I feel 2049 is stronger overall. But plenty will disagree and that's fine. Like I said, it's an exposure thing. I didn't go into 2049 with a long lasting love of the original.

I personally think it's a misnomer that you have to turn your brain off in order to have a good time and enjoy yourself.
That's not what I said. And it's not what XX necessarily said either.

I still believe the average movie goer can derive enjoyment and acheive appreciation of 2049 when/if they see it. Like, I believe the film will have a greater following after it hits DVD/Blu-Ray/Streaming.

It's the idea that people will forego films of this quality precisely because it's too long and thoughtful for a movie ticket to be justified. But the reality is, waiting for a film to go into ownership circulation instead of seeing it in theaters harms the desire for studios to make movies like this. If they can't recover the money they invested in the film they won't want to risk trying the same thing again. And works of art like this don't get to be made and we're left wondering why Hollywood is so obsessed with half assed remakes and sequels and dumb ideas like the Emoji movie. Because people aren't voting for quality with their money.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Just saying, I think the simple solution to the relative lack of intelligent, well-shot Hollywood movies is just to watch foreign stuff instead. I'm especially biased towards South Korean cinema.

I say this as someone who is also looking forward to Pacific Rim 2, which is about as big and dumb as you get before you step into Transformers territory.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Adam from YMS posted his (spoiler free) review. Calls it a masterpiece. He articulates how the movie is an achievement in and of itself better than I can.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
saw it today

A Visual Masterpiece...from the sets, to the lighting, to the landscape to the costume design...every frame is stunning

The story is a great story that builds and enhances the Blade Runner universe....yes it's a "slow burn" story but no different than the original

and the reason mainstream audience won't love it is due to the slow pacing and long runtime, and its my only criticism of the film
4.5/5 from me

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

In many ways, I think Blade Runner 2049 is a victim of the movies that have come before it; after years and years of big, loud, dumb movies out of Hollywood studios, moviegoers have soured on the formula, and blockbusters are beginning to experience more severe diminishing returns. Too many reboots, sequels, 80s revivals and other films with familiar IP haphazardly that can't hold a candle to what this movie brings have audiences tuning out the concept before they ever look past the cover. That opened the door for new ideas on premium cable and web streaming, and it'll be tough to put that genie back in the bottle.

I saw it tonight with my GF. We both appreciated the original as a flawed-but-worthwhile film, but we were both completely blown away by what Villeneuve did with 2049. It underscores how ahead of its time the original Blade Runner was and smooths out the rough edges of the original while remaining true to the ideas and themes of that film. It's the best movie I have seen in theaters not just this year, but for a while. It's art in a time when movies are far from such.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad