Blackhawks raise season ticket prices

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It is one of those "Don't hate the player, hate the game" situations?

God I hate that saying.

Am I not a regular diehard fan though? :sarcasm: I guess I am just a casual "look at me" type fan now...

I'm not a die-hard fan anymore and haven't been for some time. I've essentially openly admitted as much here over time. Not really anything the Blackhawks did or didn't do, just an evolution of factors. If anything, they did have a hand in it by being immensely successful over a period of time and that subconsciously perhaps fulfilled my die-hardness and me "fat and happy". But it's a confluence of factors, really.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not a die-hard fan anymore and haven't been for some time. I've essentially openly admitted as much here over time. Not really anything the Blackhawks did or didn't do, just an evolution of factors. If anything, they did have a hand in it by being immensely successful over a period of time and that subconsciously perhaps fulfilled my die-hardness and me "fat and happy". But it's a confluence of factors, really.

What is a die hard fan? Honestly.

I like the Hawks and they will always be my team but more so I love just watching hockey.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I like the Hawks and they will always be my team but more so I love just watching hockey.

I would categorize it as someone who watches the games despite their bad play. Someone who watched them play even when they were a terrible product in the dark ages.

I'm with you. I typically watch the games unless they're getting blown out and it makes me too sick to waste the time on it that night, or I'm busy doing something else that is more important than watching a hockey game.

And I'll continue to do so, because I love hockey.

But how many thousands of people will stop watching the Hawks, and stop going, now that the product isn't up to their lofty Championship contender every season standard?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Maybe it's semantics, but I'm not remotely as emotionally invested as I was even three or four years ago. Their winning or losing doesn't affect my daily life like it once would have. That's not passing judgement at all on anyone who still lives and dies by it. Not in the least. I'm just not there and haven't been for some time and it's the result of a few things combined. This is all much less stressful now. haha

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Maybe it's semantics, but I'm not remotely as emotionally invested as I was even three or four years ago. Their winning or losing doesn't affect my daily life like it once would have. That's not passing judgement at all on anyone who still lives and dies by it. Not in the least. I'm just not there and haven't been for some time and it's the result of a few things combined. This is all much less stressful now. haha

I don't think most people are, even the "die-hards" from years past. We got spoiled in a short amount of time, and I'm referring to myself with that, too.
I'm with you, I'm a lot less stressed these days, particularly come April-June, now that I'm not living and breathing Hawks hockey. :laugh:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I don't think most people are, even the "die-hards" from years past. We got spoiled in a short amount of time, and I'm referring to myself with that, too.
I'm with you, I'm a lot less stressed these days, particularly come April-June, now that I'm not living and breathing Hawks hockey. :laugh:

I don't know, Blackhawks twitter seems to say otherwise. :laugh:

Reactions: RayP

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I get the raise after the Cup win. I don't get the raise after a disappointing 7 game series loss in the first round to the Blues, of all teams, coming off a Cup win. And I don't get the raise after a disgusting 4 game sweep by the Preds last season, despite the "good" (but misleading) RS. And I don't get the raise for next year, after whatever this debacle is called. It's all a matter of McD raising prices because he knows there's a market for people who want to go just to drink and socialize like at Wrigley. He's basically building the Hawks base in the mold of the Cubs base. Which is cater to the college kids who want to party and spend a boatload of money because they have nothing better to spend it on.

Hopefully I don't offend the Cubs fans on here with my Wrigley Bar comments. :sarcasm: ;)

I don't follow these things closely, but given the timing of this announcement, I would imagine that last years increase was announced prior to the NSH series, so it doesn't surprise me in the least. My general assumption is that ticket prices will go up, all else being equal, and it's only in really bad years that there won't be increases and it would take a severe lag in attendance for prices to actually go down. I'm talking about all sports, not just the Hawks. It sucks, but it is what it is. So from that perspective, this year's increase is the only one I find a bit surprising, but there's obviously the market to do it. But I think they are playing with fire a bit.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
I
But how many thousands of people will stop watching the Hawks, and stop going, now that the product isn't up to their lofty Championship contender every season standard?

This is where I am at. I see darker days ahead.

Again, I 100% get it. John McD is a ruthless businessman honestly.

Well there ya go. We agree. When you have had your ticket prices raised 300% over the years ya kinda get a little 'salty' about the whole subject.

We do disagree about next year and we shall see. My opinion is there were a lot of people who were selling tickets to keep up with the ticket price hikes over the years. You haven't been watching the secondary market like myself but it really took a hit this year and now it is a bloodbath. The blackhawks selling last minute discounted tickets has done nothing but fuel the panic. So there are a hell of a lot of sth's taking it from behind right now. Myself included. Not a great feeling for the sth's and I think it will be felt by the Blackhawks on March 9.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Well there ya go. We agree. When you have had your ticket prices raised 300% over the years ya kinda get a little 'salty' about the whole subject.

We do disagree about next year and we shall see. My opinion is there were a lot of people who were selling tickets to keep up with the ticket price hikes over the years. You haven't been watching the secondary market like myself over the years but it really took a hit this year and now it is a bloodbath. The blackhawks selling last minute discounted tickets has done nothing but fuel the panic. So there are a hell of a lot of sth's taking it from behind right now. Myself included. Not a great feeling for the sth's and I think it will be felt by the Blackhawks on March 9.

I more meant that a very large chunk of the fanbase, those who didn't start watching until the Hawks were a successful, championship team, will be abandoning the team for greener pastures now that they aren't winning like they were. For a long time, the Hawks were the "it" thing in Chicago. The popular team. The best team to go watch. For a while... the only championship/quality team you could see in the entire city. The Hawks almost lucked into a "perfect storm" of mediocrity or worse from all the other Chicago teams. Now that those teams are starting to trend in the right direction, or even better, win champions(and all of them are, actually), the Hawks will see a loss of a big portion of the fanbase.

So now you'll see those fans who weren't made fans of the game by the Hawks run, but were just fans of the winning, disappear. Which is fine with me. Maybe I can afford to get my kids glass side tickets at some point in the next few years. Rather than all the corporations buying them up and giving them out to clients and partners, etc. :thumbu:

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
I more meant that a very large chunk of the fanbase, those who didn't start watching until the Hawks were a successful, championship team, will be abandoning the team for greener pastures now that they aren't winning like they were. For a long time, the Hawks were the "it" thing in Chicago. The popular team. The best team to go watch. For a while... the only championship/quality team you could see in the entire city. The Hawks almost lucked into a "perfect storm" of mediocrity or worse from all the other Chicago teams. Now that those teams are starting to trend in the right direction, or even better, win champions(and all of them are, actually), the Hawks will see a loss of a big portion of the fanbase.

So now you'll see those fans who weren't made fans of the game by the Hawks run, but were just fans of the winning, disappear. Which is fine with me. Maybe I can afford to get my kids glass side tickets at some point in the next few years. Rather than all the corporations buying them up and giving them out to clients and partners, etc. :thumbu:

It won't be just the fair weather fans that leave. I am a diehard and I am gone. As I said earlier the tax benefit to corporations to buy sports tickets is also gone.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

We do disagree about next year and we shall see. My opinion is there were a lot of people who were selling tickets to keep up with the ticket price hikes over the years. You haven't been watching the secondary market like myself but it really took a hit this year and now it is a bloodbath. The blackhawks selling last minute discounted tickets has done nothing but fuel the panic. So there are a hell of a lot of sth's taking it from behind right now. Myself included. Not a great feeling for the sth's and I think it will be felt by the Blackhawks on March 9.

Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure that what I was saying was not directed at you.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It won't be just the fair weather fans that leave. I am a diehard and I am gone. As I said earlier the tax benefit to corporations to buy sports tickets is also gone.

Yeah, some will. Most won't. At least IMO. I won't stop watching just because they're not a perennial contender.

And corporations will still buy up tickets to hand out to clients and customers to schmooze em over, despite not having the tax break.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Maybe the Hawks should stop putting games on TV to protect the season ticket holders :sarcasm:

Reactions: RayP

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, some will. Most won't. At least IMO. I won't stop watching just because they're not a perennial contender.

And corporations will still buy up tickets to hand out to clients and customers to schmooze em over, despite not having the tax break.

I agree. Some will some won't but you are 100% correct that business will not stop buying tickets.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I agree. Some will some won't but you are 100% correct that business will not stop buying tickets.

The die-hard fans remain die-hards. Like I said. The fact that they're not contending for the Cup every season will not keep me from watching them, or going to games here and there. I'm still a huge hockey fan, and Hawks fan. I'm just not living and breathing it like I was during the glory years of the past decade. Even before the glory years, I was watching and listening and following along. Have been since I was 5 years old.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

So now you'll see those fans who weren't made fans of the game by the Hawks run, but were just fans of the winning, disappear. Which is fine with me. Maybe I can afford to get my kids glass side tickets at some point in the next few years. Rather than all the corporations buying them up and giving them out to clients and partners.

It’s almost like they actually believe they created a ton of loyal fans by winning the 3 Cups and that those fans are loyal to the organization and players that brought them here. It explains the Seabrook deal, bringing all of the old players back.

Maybe it is true, but I think they are overestimating the importance of that factor. Most people, casual or otherwise just want the team winning, that’s what makes it the popular place to go, that’s what gets people to scrounge money up and drive the prices higher. The loyalty aspect, I don’t think I agree with them on that. What’s done is done, they brought Cups, fans brought money for tickets and merch. Now, most people are happy to use their money on other things. It’s going to be interesting to watch.

And I think it is a big mistake to price out families. I think they should introduce a “family pack” as other teams have done. 4 tickets at a reduced price and a complementary $50 gift card for concessions. It would be good PR for the ticket increase and help preserve their pipeline of new fans seeing as the parents of these kids are the ones that had draino poured down the fan pipeline when they were kids. But none of us work for them, they have a lot of people smarter and better compensated than us to make these decisions. I just don’t want to see a complete exodus that makes this a small to mid market team again.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It’s almost like they actually believe they created a ton of loyal fans by winning the 3 Cups and that those fans are loyal to the organization and players that brought them here. It explains the Seabrook deal, bringing all of the old players back.

I think this is the interesting question. How many of the "new" fans are now actual Blackhawks fans and how many were there for the party so to speak. I'm sure it's a mix of both to one degree or another, but time will tell.

There's a certain percentage of fair weather fans, or those people just there for the party so to speak. But how many new fans, or more importantly kids are now Hawks fans for life? There certainly has to be more now then there used to as this generation of kids has grown up with the Blackhawks being great and fun to watch. It's similar to the Jordan era Bulls, when I was younger.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think this is the interesting question. How many of the "new" fans are now actual Blackhawks fans and how many were there for the party so to speak. I'm sure it's a mix of both to one degree or another, but time will tell.

There's a certain percentage of fair weather fans, or those people just there for the party so to speak. But how many new fans, or more importantly kids are now Hawks fans for life? There certainly has to be more now then there used to as this generation of kids has grown up with the Blackhawks being great and fun to watch. It's similar to the Jordan era Bulls, when I was younger.

Yeah, I was the same way, about as big a Bulls and Jordan fan as can be, still love MJ but sure enough, I watched the first season after the last title and I was pretty much done after that.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

This is where they're set up well now. They appealed to a whole new generation of fans in kids, and those kids don't stop liking their teams the same way we all kept liking our teams even when they didn't do well as we grew up.

As for adults, I know many people who are now permanently turned onto the Blackhawks and hockey and will remain fans, but some of the "party" will definitely go away. Hawks games won't be the "who's who" "it" thing to do anymore for many. You'll lose some of that, but I think they've turned on an enormous amount of people to them and hockey permanently the past decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad