Blackhawks raise season ticket prices

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I am curious what % will renew after watching this fiasco of a season.
I think most people will give it another year. Another year like this one and they are going to put a big dent in the wait list. Not many people out there going to want season tickets for a team on the decline.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins hit salary cap hell a couple of years before the Hawks did but Jacobs was able to keep the STH's from bolting.

The Bruins missed the playoffs in 2015 and 2016 BUT Jacobs got a second Winter Classic in Foxboro against Montreal. Then he really got creative as he not only did not raise prices but allowed STH's to make 10 monthly payments a year and any playoff games are pay as they go.

Now the Hawks get another 'home' Winter Classic in South Bend for 2019 and its going to have to be Blackhawks fans to fill most of the seats as South Bend is just too far from the Boston to expect many fans to make the trip.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
And here is the marketing hype:

"Come out and see from our guys: NO GOALS ,NO STARS,NO GAME..but You will see CORSI KINGS,HIT POSTS,BAD REF CALLS AGINST,BAD LUCK,Frustration, NO System that works,A bad PP and incredible smoke and mirrors when Crawford is there to steal some games..now Who wouldn't want to pay higher prices for all that "entertainment"?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Most of those I know with season tickets are not renewing. They all lost money this season on games they couldn't make. The secondary market is not paying face value, if they even sell. Guy on my team went to the game the other night for 15 bucks. He bought those tickets 20 minutes before game time.

I'm not even sure there's a wait list anymore. I know several folks that were on the wait list that were contacted last season, and declined. They were contacted again this season.

Ownership is out to lunch. If this team struggles to start out next season, you will see empty seats. Hell, you are starting to see them now. The building will empty out more as the Hawks continue to tank.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Most of those I know with season tickets are not renewing. They all lost money this season on games they couldn't make. The secondary market is not paying face value, if they even sell. Guy on my team went to the game the other night for 15 bucks. He bought those tickets 20 minutes before game time.

I'm not even sure there's a wait list anymore. I know several folks that were on the wait list that were contacted last season, and declined. They were contacted again this season.

Ownership is out to lunch. If this team struggles to start out next season, you will see empty seats. Hell, you are starting to see them now. The building will empty out more as the Hawks continue to tank.

This is Rocky's first crisis since he became the owner. He hired McDonough and the brand was rebuilt.

Raising ticket prices in a down year is chutzpah and I know several people who are STH's who could not sell tickets on the secondary market this season.

Demanding full payment 7 months before the season begins is wrong.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Exactly. It's not like people wouldn't continue to show up, if the tickets were reasonable. Just don't be so damn greedy. Attendance next season should be interesting. Season ticket holders are going to take a bath on any remaining games they try and sell this season. That will just force more and more of them out.

You can charge premium prices for a premium product. You can't continue to charge premium prices for a crap product in this market. Hawks fans have a long memory.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Blackhawks and their season ticket holders, it’s like one of those relationships where the Blackhawks and your money are in bed and you’re sitting there watching it all and then it’s like, dude, you approached me with this idea, don’t make me out to be the bad guy just because you didn’t like it as much as you thought you would.

Last edited:

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

There is a huge waitlist still

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The Chicago Bulls hangover effect after MJ lasted for years, heck its still going. The Bulls were leading the league in attendance for years when they were one of the worst teams in the NBA. Hockey is not basketball but Chicago fans are gullable. They will keep selling Hawks games out for years.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Chicago Bulls hangover effect after MJ lasted for years, heck its still going. The Bulls were leading the league in attendance for years when they were one of the worst teams in the NBA. Hockey is not basketball but Chicago fans are gullable. They will keep selling Hawks games out for years.
all too true. i for one am one of those who had season tickets for many disastrous season and know that going into the season as well.

for me, it was for the love of the game, just like baseball is for me as well. i would not speak for other fans in those times why they did it.

look at the bears and their attendance, no is fooled that they will make the playoff yet they sell out, why is that ?? (rhetorical)

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Many STH need to sell off tickets because they really can't afford to be traditional STHs.

The secondary market is incredibly soft and getting softer. That will shake out a lot of STH wannabes.

I don't think the post MJ Bulls phenomenon (which I didn't understand) will carry over to Hawks fans.

Reactions: Ace Rothstein

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Many STH need to sell off tickets because they really can't afford to be traditional STHs.

The secondary market is incredibly soft and getting softer. That will shake out a lot of STH wannabes.

I don't think the post MJ Bulls phenomenon (which I didn't understand) will carry over to Hawks fans.

I haven’t even looked at the secondary market this year. Are they selling below face value or going unsold in large numbers?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

It won’t carry over like it did with the Bulls for sure but there will be quite a bit of carry over. Those who experienced the championships and long cup runs fear losing their season tickets and not getting them back if the Hawks turn it around. It will have an effect for a few years, after that it will dwindle some. Basketball and football will always have more interest but hockey in Chicago has its die hards.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It won’t carry over like it did with the Bulls for sure but there will be quite a bit of carry over. Those who experienced the championships and long cup runs fear losing their season tickets and not getting them back if the Hawks turn it around. It will have an effect for a few years, after that it will dwindle some. Basketball and football will always have more interest but hockey in Chicago has its die hards.

very true. !!!!

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I have no idea the number of corporate sth’s, but I imagine there are quite a few and that they won’t blink.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I have no idea the number of corporate sth’s, but I imagine there are quite a few and that they won’t blink.

Yeah, any loose tickets should get gobbled up by businesses. The Blackhawks obviously have confidence if they are raising prices and asking for all of the money well in advance of the season. Of course fans are salty over the bad season but it’s a business for the Hawks. As long as they keep spending money on players, who really cares what they do with the tickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad