Blackhawks raise season ticket prices

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Yeah, I was running a ticket group until this season and it was the same thing that got us. Nobody could/wanted to pay all of the money so far upfront anymore. They just get more brazen each season. Like you said, beer is cheaper at home and now that they are playing like garbage, I can turn it off and do something else or not watch at all. Hey, we had it for the Cups years, it was great, now I honestly don’t even give a damn. What a pain in the ass too, have to rush home from work, get out early sometimes, the traffic, the cold, running around having to piss, the whole thing. Not to mention how messed up it was not having the printed tickets. For me, it ONLY makes sense when they are a powerhouse.

I agree. The novelty wears off pretty quickly when you start realizing that you are being treated like a caged animal shelling out even more $ for beer and food in addition to the tickets. I really won't miss any of the shit on the 'Jumbotron' and all the crap that McDonough thinks fans come to the game for. Nothing against chicks and kids but there are a shit load of them at hawk games and they are there just to be seen. Won't miss them at all.

And then there is f***ing stub hub which will make you want to pull your hair out. Won't miss that at all. The assholes are still sending me emails telling me my tickets are priced too high.

So now I am back to trying to find people to go to the games with me. Wish I got out last year like you.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree. The novelty wears off pretty quickly when you start realizing that you are being treated like a caged animal shelling out even more $ for beer and food in addition to the tickets. I really won't miss any of the **** on the 'Jumbotron' and all the crap that McDonough thinks fans come to the game for. Nothing against chicks and kids but there are a **** load of them at hawk games and they are there just to be seen. Won't miss them at all.

And then there is ****ing stub hub which will make you want to pull your hair out. Won't miss that at all. The *******s are still sending me emails telling me my tickets are priced too high.

So now I am back to trying to find people to go to the games with me. Wish I got out last year like you.

Honestly I don't feel like this at all. When I buy my tickets I know what I am getting into. Pro sports are expensive teams cost a lot to run and they want to make money like any other business.

This is not directed at you so don't that it that way but people on here act like spoiled kids complaining about costs at times. It is not the pro sports team's problem if certain people can't afford their product. This is just how life is. The judging of people who can afford it is even more hilarious.

I know this will all come off dickish but I just don't get the complaining about costs.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've been on the Cubs season ticket wait list for probably about a decade now, and if my timing's right I should hopefully be eligible to get tickets in about 15-20 years. With any luck, that'll be right around the time that I'm either realistically thinking about retirement or am making enough money where jumping in and getting season tickets wouldn't be an overly costly affair for me.

And while I'm sure that I'd hope that I could make some scratch off selling tickets I didn't use, I really wouldn't go into it with the expectation that I'd make money off of it unless I'm very lucky and the team's very, very good. I'd view NHL season tickets in the same vein. I know it stinks not making money off tickets, but if the quality of the product on the ice diminishes the demand for lower priority games will plummet without exception. And if this is the first year that turning a profit isn't really a thing, I wouldn't really feel bad for people that have essentially just been making money scalping tickets (saying that as someone that hopes to be able to do at least that partially down the road).

Just my two cents.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Honestly I don't feel like this at all. When I buy my tickets I know what I am getting into. Pro sports are expensive teams cost a lot to run and they want to make money like any other business.

This is not directed at you so don't that it that way but people on here act like spoiled kids complaining about costs at times. It is not the pro sports team's problem if certain people can't afford their product. This is just how life is. The judging of people who can afford it is even more hilarious.

I know this will all come off dickish but I just don't get the complaining about costs.

Well, there's also the difference between not being able to afford the product, and realizing that the product simply isn't worth what they are charging.(it hasn't been the last 3 seasons)

I think this is going to be very obvious in the remaining home games this season, and next season, if the Hawks struggle out of the gate.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I've been on the Cubs season ticket wait list for probably about a decade now, and if my timing's right I should hopefully be eligible to get tickets in about 15-20 years. With any luck, that'll be right around the time that I'm either realistically thinking about retirement or am making enough money where jumping in and getting season tickets wouldn't be an overly costly affair for me.

And while I'm sure that I'd hope that I could make some scratch off selling tickets I didn't use, I really wouldn't go into it with the expectation that I'd make money off of it unless I'm very lucky and the team's very, very good. I'd view NHL season tickets in the same vein. I know it stinks not making money off tickets, but if the quality of the product on the ice diminishes the demand for lower priority games will plummet without exception. And if this is the first year that turning a profit isn't really a thing, I wouldn't really feel bad for people that have essentially just been making money scalping tickets (saying that as someone that hopes to be able to do at least that partially down the road).

Just my two cents.

Agreed. It’s a free market and when people see something brewing as many of us did before the first Cup, they are going to jump on it and capitalize. Now that they suck, it’s an opportunity for people who want to keep all of the games to jump in and claim their spot.

Doesn’t really matter anymore though as paperless tickets are killing resale abilities.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018

Apparently you have money BK. Good for you.

Spoiled children don't complain about costs by the way. That's why they are spoiled.

The blackhawks would love more people like you who don't care about the cost of going to a game. Lord knows they are going to need it next year.

Your last name wouldn't be McDonough would it?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well, there's also the difference between not being able to afford the product, and realizing that the product simply isn't worth what they are charging.

I think this is going to be very obvious in the remaining home games this season, and next season, if the Hawks struggle out of the gate.

Oh I agree but until they fell out of the playoff picture I would argue that the product was worth it. If this year is an anomaly (which I am leaning toward) then the team will be back in playoff contention and the UC will be rocking again. If the team sucks then the tickets most likely will stay stagnate or even decrease.

4% is not really that bad of a cost increase (the inflation rate is what 2.1%). Say you have 1st bowl seats that cost $210 a seat x2 your seats will cost $800 more next season.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Apparently you have money BK. Good for you.

Spoiled children don't complain about costs by the way. That's why they are spoiled.

The blackhawks would love more people like you who don't care about the cost of going to a game. Lord knows they are going to need it next year.

Your last name wouldn't be McDonough would it?

My post had literally nothing to do with me having money or not having money. It has to do with expectations. People are dense if they expect teams not to try and maximize their profits.

Spoiled children are spoiled when they are not taught about the value of things given to them. Rich and poor kids can both be spoiled brats if they are not taught correctly. Being spoiled has nothing to do with being rich.

I care about the cost of the game but I also budget my life to pay for those things and if my budget said no then I would say no to going to the game.

You are coming off really salty and I think it because my post is coming of directed at you personally. This is not intended.

Are you are ticket broker? If that is the case then we are 100% going to view this differently.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My post had literally nothing to do with me having money or not having money. It has to do with expectations. People are dense if they expect teams not to try and maximize their profits.

Spoiled children are spoiled when they are not taught about the value of things given to them. Rich and poor kids can both be spoiled brats if they are not taught correctly. Being spoiled has nothing to do with being rich.

I care about the cost of the game but I also budget my life to pay for those things and if my budget said no then I would say no to going to the game.

You are coming off really salty.

I don't disagree that he is coming off really salty, but the average diehard hockey fan has been priced out of the UC, and there's no denying that. If I wanted to take my fiance and two kids to the game... I'm looking at $250+ just to get in the door in the 300 level. Another $150 to eat and drink and pick up souvenirs for them. That's $400+.

I can spend a weekend in a cabin with my family for $400.

And in all honesty, the game is filled with more and more twenty-somethings that have no interest in watching hockey, but are there for socializing and getting hammered.

Last game I went to in the regular season(last year, as I can only really afford one game a year anymore) we sat in front of two girls that were probably 21-25. The two girls sat next to each other the entire night and literally talked about everything you could think of other than the hockey game for the entire thing, including their boyfriend problems, family problems, school problems, etc. Taking selfies with their beers and stupid shit like that, even going so far as spilling them on us in the process. I literally couldn't enjoy the game because these two girls were talking loud as could be for 99% of it, about everything unrelated to hockey. If you want to go to a pro sports game, shut up and watch the damn game. Or talk quieter, at least. Have some damn courtesy. If you want to socialize, go to a bar and watch the game, where people aren't paying a ton of money for a shitty experience to hear about your entire life story. And unfortunately, that seems to be the norm, and not the exception these days. It's more like Wrigley than the UC at this point. Just a giant bar.
Throw in the drunken frat boys constantly arguing and fighting, and/or swearing up a storm screaming at the players, and why would I want to bring my kids and spend that much money?

I used to go to multiple games a season in the 200 level, and a few games in the 300 level. Now I'm lucky if I can make it to one per year in the 300 level. I'd much rather spend $400-500 on a weekend out of town with my family than at the UC, and having it ruined by a bunch of twenty-somethings more intent on using it as a giant bar than what it is.

You want the experience of sitting glass side or something, or my kids getting that experience? Good luck. It's the cost of a full week vacation to take four people. Could put my entire family on a 5 day cruise for that cost.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't disagree that he is coming off really salty, but the average diehard hockey fan has been priced out of the UC, and there's no denying that. If I wanted to take my fiance and two kids to the game... I'm looking at $250+ just to get in the door in the 300 level. Another $150 to eat and drink and pick up souvenirs for them. That's $400+.

I can spend a weekend in a cabin with my family for $400.

And in all honesty, the game is filled with more and more twenty-somethings that have no interest in watching hockey, but are there for socializing and getting hammered.

Last game I went to in the regular season(last year, as I can only really afford one game a year anymore) we sat in front of two girls that were probably 21-25. The two girls sat next to each other the entire night and literally talked about everything you could think of other than the hockey game for the entire thing, including their boyfriend problems, family problems, school problems, etc. Taking selfies with their beers and stupid **** like that. I literally couldn't enjoy the game because these two girls were talking loud as could be for 99% of it, about everything unrelated to hockey. If you want to go to a pro sports game, shut up and watch the damn game. Or talk quieter, at least. Have some damn courtesy. If you want to socialize, go to a bar and watch the game, where people aren't paying a ton of money for a ****ty experience to hear about your entire life story. And unfortunately, that seems to be the norm, and not the exception these days. It's more like Wrigley than the UC at this point. Just a giant bar.

I used to go to multiple games a season in the 200 level, and a few games in the 300 level. Now I'm lucky if I can make it to one per year in the 300 level. I'd much rather spend $400-500 on a weekend out of town with my family than at the UC, and having it ruined by a bunch of 20-somethings more intent on using it as a giant bar than what it is.

You want the experience of sitting glass side or something, or my kids getting that experience? Good luck. It's the cost of a full week vacation to take four people. Could put my entire family on a 5 day cruise for that cost.

I get all of this.

I would say that the average diehard fan has been priced out of pro sports in general.

As the cap keeps going up this will continue to happen.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I get all of this.

I would say that the average diehard fan has been priced out of pro sports in general.

I just hope it remains a place to be seen and whatnot even if the team struggles because then what happens if it doesn’t? And I’m talking league wide with this. It just doesn’t seem sustainable but maybe I don’t get it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I get all of this.

Yeah, but to raise the prices after a piss-poor product the last 3 seasons is ludicrous, IMO. They're raking in the money hand over fist, yet they raise the prices again? Which in turn raises the prices for others, not just the STH, because the STH are the ones who usually have tickets available on the secondary market. Most tickets not on the secondary market are bought up early on in the season, and you're pretty much buying everything on the secondary market mid-season.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I get all of this.

I was just going to say, "get used to it because it ain't getting any better." I have found that if you wait until close to the game day that you can find things on the secondary market if you're willing to wait, though that does make it hard to plan a family outing around.

This is why the Wolves have been so successful for so long. That found a niche and over time have created their own entire fanbase completely independent of the Blackhawks. They've made pro hockey affordable and convenient given their location in Rosemont. It's a great family/group option.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, but to raise the prices after a piss-poor product the last 3 seasons is ludicrous, IMO. They're raking in the money hand over fist, yet they raise the prices again? Which in turn raises the prices for others, not just the STH, because the STH are the ones who usually have tickets available on the secondary market. Most tickets not on the secondary market are bought up early on in the season, and you're pretty much buying everything on the secondary market mid-season.

Again, I 100% get it. John McD is a ruthless businessman honestly.

Playoff teams raise prices and that is just how they are.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I was just going to say, "get used to it because it ain't getting any better." I have found that if you wait until close to the game day that you can find things on the secondary market if you're willing to wait, though that does make it hard to plan a family outing around.

This is why the Wolves have been so successful for so long. That found a niche and over time have created their own entire fanbase completely independent of the Blackhawks. They've made pro hockey affordable and convenient given their location in Rosemont. It's a great family/group option.

Yeah.

Wolves are a great family option.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yeah.

Wolves are a great family option.

Yeah, and that's fine. We've done that. But my kids also want to see the guys that they see on TV wearing a Hawks sweater. Not some washed-up has been, never was, or kid just drafted and developing.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Not to go all Laz :sarcasm:, but I think that's an overstatement. 3 years ago, they were coming off a cup win, so of course they would raise. The 2 seasons, prior to this one were both 100+ pt seasons with disappointing playoff results.

I get that they are playing with fire, if this season is just the start of a prolonged down turn, but the Hawks "product" the past few years has been good, with the exception of a bad playoff series, speaking from the business prospective.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
:thumbu:

I was just pointing out why your regular, everyday Hawks/hockey fan has every justification for being salty about it all.

It is one of those "Don't hate the player, hate the game" situations?

God I hate that saying.

Am I not a regular diehard fan though? :sarcasm: I guess I am just a casual "look at me" type fan now...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not to go all Laz :sarcasm:, but I think that's an overstatement. 3 years ago, they were coming off a cup win, so of course they would raise. The 2 seasons, prior to this one were both 100+ pt seasons with disappointing playoff results.

I get that they are playing with fire, if this season is just the start of a prolonged down turn, but the Hawks "product" the past few years has been good, with the exception of a bad playoff series, speaking from the business prospective.

I get the raise after the Cup win. I don't get the raise after a disappointing 7 game series loss in the first round to the Blues, of all teams, coming off a Cup win. And I don't get the raise after a disgusting 4 game sweep by the Preds last season, despite the "good" (but misleading) RS. And I don't get the raise for next year, after whatever this debacle is called. It's all a matter of McD raising prices because he knows there's a market for people who want to go just to drink and socialize like at Wrigley. He's basically building the Hawks base in the mold of the Cubs base. Which is cater to the college kids who want to party and spend a boatload of money because they have nothing better to spend it on.

Hopefully I don't offend the Cubs fans on here with my Wrigley Bar comments. :sarcasm: ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad