Blackhawks raise season ticket prices

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, any loose tickets should get gobbled up by businesses. The Blackhawks obviously have confidence if they are raising prices and asking for all of the money well in advance of the season. Of course fans are salty over the bad season but it’s a business for the Hawks. As long as they keep spending money on players, who really cares what they do with the tickets.

I agree but I only go with comped tickets.

ProphetofthePuck

Dec 2, 2017
The only concern i would have with this Business idea is empty seats ...(Imagine going to a game being on company time or else they won't ) Normally when you speak corporate you think lowers or 200s never 300s ...

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Two things worth pointing out:

1/ The lowering of corporate taxes in 2018 comes with a cost. Corporations can no longer deduct ticket costs of sporting events. Previously they were able to deduct 50% of the cost.

2/ The blackhawks are selling/dumping 'last minute' tickets to games now for half the price of what the existing sth's paid. Literally biting the hand that feeds them.

So yeah there is going to be a mass exodus. Expect to see the lower bowl looking more and more like Detroit going forward. Retention of the 300 level will be better but the exodus will be felt there as well I would bet.

You really have to be quite the idiot to buy tickets from an organization that will sell the seat next to you for half the price come game time. McDonough must believe hawk fans are REALLY stupid. And Rocky must be asleep at the wheel to let him undercut the fan base to this extent.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

1/ The lowering of corporate taxes in 2018 comes with a cost. Corporations can no longer deduct ticket costs of sporting events. Previously they were able to deduct 50% of the cost.

2/ The blackhawks are selling/dumping 'last minute' tickets to games now for half the price of what the existing sth's paid. Literally biting the hand that feeds them.

So yeah there is going to be a mass exodus. Expect to see the lower bowl looking more and more like Detroit going forward. Retention of the 300 level will be better but the exodus will be felt there as well I would bet.

You really have to be quite the idiot to buy tickets from an organization that will sell the seat next to you for half the price come game time. McDonough must believe hawk fans are REALLY stupid. And Rocky must be asleep at the wheel to let him undercut the fan base to this extent.
interesting pov. very good !!! :thumbu:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

I’m not positive, but I believe the change applies only to college sports, and the deductibility of the donation required to be eligible to purchase season tickets.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Everyone I know with season tickets is renewing them (including us). Tickets still go for above face and I know for a fact we made a profit this year.

Reactions: RayP

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
One would like to think that they have built enough of a fan base andamassed enough goodwill from the cups and success of the prior 8-9 years that it won't go back to the dark ages of the place on many nights being about a third full, but I sense the love affair has ended probably after game 4 in Nashville ended, as ratings started going down even last year and I have been getting emails a day or two before home games about limited tickets available which I don't recall getting often the prior 8-9 years.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
One would like to think that they have built enough of a fan base andamassed enough goodwill from the cups and success of the prior 8-9 years that it won't go back to the dark ages of the place on many nights being about a third full, but I sense the love affair has ended probably after game 4 in Nashville ended, as ratings started going down even last year and I have been getting emails a day or two before home games about limited tickets available which I don't recall getting often the prior 8-9 years.

We shouldn't have to worry about going back to something similar to the dark ages....

What does scare the hell out of me is us being stuck in mediocrity and a bubble playoff team at best throughout the remainder of Toews' contract.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Everyone I know with season tickets is renewing them (including us). Tickets still go for above face and I know for a fact we made a profit this year.

Not in the 100 level. It is a bloodbath of STH stepping on each others head to sell tickets at a lower price. I am one of them. And then you have the Blackhawks coming in with half price tickets. One ugly scene.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not in the 100 level. It is a bloodbath of STH stepping on each others head to sell tickets at a lower price. I am one of them. And then you have the Blackhawks coming in with half price tickets. One ugly scene.

My tickets are in the 100 level. We have a solid base of people who buy our season tickets that we do not use. Again we made a profit this year. Not as good as past years but there is money to be made.

One thing to note is that we sold most of our tickets early in the season.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
My tickets are in the 100 level. We have a solid base of people who buy our season tickets that we do not use. Again we made a profit this year. Not as good as past years but there is money to be made.

I’m glad you didn’t get stuck, but if next year is anything similar to this year I wouldn’t bank on getting out whole. Caveat emptor.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I’m glad you didn’t get stuck, but if next year is anything similar to this year I wouldn’t bank on getting out whole. Caveat emptor.

The money just rolls into next year and we always assume we will not see a dime back. It would foolish to think any other way.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Given how deep the season ticket wait list allegedly is supposed to be, I'm sure that they're got room for the fans that are deciding to ditch season tickets (and of those saying that they are, when decision time actually comes I'd anticipate that more than a few just decide to bit the bullet for "one last season" to see what happens).

Even with anger at where we're at now, the team still built up a huge amount of good will and public demand from the sovereignty years, so I think they they'll still reliably sell out. That being said, they are getting pretty close to toeing the line for what might be acceptable. Or heck, they might even spin a drop in season tickets as a plant to get more single season tickets in circulation if push really came to shove and they'd sell out that way, too.

Pressure's on, though.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018

Well played. You got out early. Check out stub hub for the before commission prices now. Sold 4 tics for the Hurricane game and took a $300 loss and was grateful to get rid of them. More pain is coming once they are mathematically eliminated.

Hey all the power to you for getting out early. I would bet the people you sold your tics to will think twice next year. Especially if they know the blackhawks will be dumping the non renewed tickets next to you for half the price.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We don’t use stubhub and others. Fees are not worth it. Just have an established groups of people who buy when we don’t use them.

The people who we sell to are not the “the team is struggling so we won’t go” types. We don’t even sell to non hawks fans.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
On weeknights you can usually find 300s for $30-40 after fees if you wait until a few hours before game time.

Yeah exactly.

If you are making profit on your season tickets, you know a whole bunch of suckers, and are ripping people off.... You can regularly find 100 level tickets below face value. Just gotta buy them a few hours before game time.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
We don’t use stubhub and others. Fees are not worth it. Just have an established groups of people who buy when we don’t use them.

The people who we sell to are not the “the team is struggling so we won’t go” types. We don’t even sell to non hawks fans.

Great. Wish I knew more people with the $. $45o for a pair of tickets and $10 beers while there is just not affordable for the average hockey fan.

Reactions: hockeyPez

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you are making profit on your season tickets, you know a whole bunch of suckers, and are ripping people off.... You can regularly find 100 level tickets below face value.

Like I said, we sold them early. Basically we send out a list of available games and people bought them in October/November.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good for you. I would say you are in the minority, and I wouldn't count on that continuing. Of the 7-8 season ticket holders I know, every single one of them lost money selling games they couldn't attend. Hell, some couldn't give them away.

The secondary market is flooded with sub-face value tickets. Take a look at Stubhub on game day.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Given how deep the season ticket wait list allegedly is supposed to be, I'm sure that they're got room for the fans that are deciding to ditch season tickets (and of those saying that they are, when decision time actually comes I'd anticipate that more than a few just decide to bit the bullet for "one last season" to see what happens).

Even with anger at where we're at now, the team still built up a huge amount of good will and public demand from the sovereignty years, so I think they they'll still reliably sell out. That being said, they are getting pretty close to toeing the line for what might be acceptable. Or heck, they might even spin a drop in season tickets as a plant to get more single season tickets in circulation if push really came to shove and they'd sell out that way, too.

Pressure's on, though.

just ain't happening. The wait list was always an illusion. Hope McDonough gets his ass kicked but that ain't happening either...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
just ain't happening. The wait list was always an illusion. Hope McDonough gets his ass kicked but that ain't happening either...

Wait lists are a funny thing. The Cubs wait list was said to be 10+ years long. Then they started sucking and everyone who was on it got offered tickets. As long as the team doesn’t charge you to get on it, throw your hat it. And if you cancel your tickets, do the same, it’ll come back around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad