Rumor: Blackhawks' Kevin Hayes on Rangers radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Do we have a way to sign this guy and sign our RFA? With Step and Lombardi signed do we even have a spot open?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes. We have two contracts left under the 50 contract limit (assuming Duclair and Graves go back to juniors).

Duclair is really going to have to have an outstanding camp to make it and that might not be enough. He has a shot but it's a long one. Rangers got enough vets in place--a kid coming out of junior is really going to have to go to town.

Graves is just about a sure bet. He needs another year in the Q. He had an excellent year last year but I'm not even sure he's ready for the AHL.

As RB says it's only money. Hayes is a young guy and he has the talent to push for a job at the NHL level--at least is ready for the AHL. He also has some size and the Rangers could use some more of that.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Duclair is really going to have to have an outstanding camp to make it and that might not be enough. He has a shot but it's a long one. Rangers got enough vets in place--a kid coming out of junior is really going to have to go to town.

Graves is just about a sure bet. He needs another year in the Q. He had an excellent year last year but I'm not even sure he's ready for the AHL.

As RB says it's only money. Hayes is a young guy and he has the talent to push for a job at the NHL level--at least is ready for the AHL. He also has some size and the Rangers could use some more of that.

Yep. If they can get him, it'll be another really solid move to compensate for all the first rounders that Slats has been throwing around like monopoly money.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes. We have two contracts left under the 50 contract limit (assuming Duclair and Graves go back to juniors).

Okay I see we have room for another contract. I meant do we have a spot for him to play in the NHL. I thought I read he wants to play in the NHL not go to the minors.

BarbaraAlphanse

Our friend has a problem with Kevin Hayes. Every time Hayes is mentioned,he loses it. Weird.

Boyle has carved out an NHL career as a role player. At the very least,Hayes can have a similar career.

That's all. Some people can't see that.

Chris Dilks is a college hockey blogger. He knows his stuff.

#1 NHL prospect in college hockey

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...p-100-nhl-prospects-1-20-free-agent-nhl-draft

His size will allow him to play in the NHL. Even if its as a 4th line role player such as Boyle. Even if Kreider couldn't put the puck in the ocean,his size and skating ability would see him have a long NHL career.

The Rangers can get this player for just money. He can be a good NHL player. Not a star. Good player.

Any team signing this player gets his services for the next 5 years before group III. Signs a 2 year ELC which isn't one of those contracts which sees the first year used up by placing the player on the active roster like Danny Kristo and Ryan Haggerty. Arbitration eligible after the two years. Hayes is 22. Group III is 7 or 27.

Have no problem with Hayes. I've met him a couple of times and he's a lot of fun, actually.

I have a problem with the expectations of him.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 11h
Kevin Hayes SH% by year in college:
2010-11: 7.0%
2011-12: 9.3%
2012-13: 8.0%
2013-14: 19.3%

Just leaving this here.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I'm not entirely sure that means his stats were an aberration destined to fall back to Earth. It could just as easily mean that his shot developed into an NHL caliber shot in an NCAA setting.

Even if it did, this would be another no risk signing and worth finding out.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'm not entirely sure that means his stats were an aberration destined to fall back to Earth. It could just as easily mean that his shot developed into an NHL caliber shot in an NCAA setting.

Plus, even if his shooting percentage was half of what it was, he'd still have had 52 points in 40 games.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I have no opinion on Hayes. Never watched him before, ever. Just thought I'd post that.

BarbaraAlphanse

Not a fan of his and think JG made him, but I'd take a flier on him.

As with so many other players, York guided him into becoming a great college player.

To be honest, Gaudreau was great for BC, but he wasn't too consistent with making Hayes better.

Hayes stats this year were a result of assuming responsibility of a team his senior year, following a season where he was nearly kicked off Boston College Hockey for being a dumb ass.

The near removal opened his eyes that this was no longer a free ride and that if he didn't get his act together that he wouldn't cut it in college hockey, let alone professional.

If you look at his averages for his first three years, compared to his senior campaign... there's a huge spike in production and efficiency in his last year.

Many on here believe he could revert to the mean, I don't think it is the case. I think he learned how to combine his natural talent with discipline and work ethic, something that sorely lacked his first few years.

After they won the beanpot, they took the trophy to the bar I was celebrating at. Hayes was the one who handed the trophy to me so I could drink from the top. Couldn't have been friendler/more ecstatic about what the BC team had achieved. One of my friends asked him how sweet he thought it would be to lift the trophy up with the Rangers. Isaac McCloud responded on his behalf saying something to the effect of "didn't you know the kid is a bruin at heart?".

I find it funny that people on this board think I have some sort of agenda against Hayes. If anything, my opinion of him went from being entirely impartial to rather positive by the end of my senior year.

I had season tickets for 3 of the 4 seasons I was there. Decided not to re-up my tickets my junior year as I had moved off campus and going back on campus was a pain in the ass. It's the season he played least in.

I have probably watched Hayes play more than 50 times in 4 years.

He's got a rip of a shot. Absolute bomb.

But he has slow instincts. He doesn't use his frame consistently. He has poor board play. And the biggest knock on him, in terms of how he plays on the ice, is his speed (or lack there of).

As a free prospect... sure, why not. I'd love him. But the thing is some people have enchanted themselves with him and they have never watched him play.

What he needs isn't the Rangers. He needs a near guaranteed spot on a team where he can play as many NHL minutes as he can... otherwise, it's probably not looking too bright for him in the NHL. He'll need to redefine how he plays to succeed as a professional.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
As with so many other players, York guided him into becoming a great college player.

To be honest, Gaudreau was great for BC, but he wasn't too consistent with making Hayes better.

Hayes stats this year were a result of assuming responsibility of a team his senior year, following a season where he was nearly kicked off Boston College Hockey for being a dumb ass.

The near removal opened his eyes that this was no longer a free ride and that if he didn't get his act together that he wouldn't cut it in college hockey, let alone professional.

If you look at his averages for his first three years, compared to his senior campaign... there's a huge spike in production and efficiency in his last year.

Many on here believe he could revert to the mean, I don't think it is the case. I think he learned how to combine his natural talent with discipline and work ethic, something that sorely lacked his first few years.

After they won the beanpot, they took the trophy to the bar I was celebrating at. Hayes was the one who handed the trophy to me so I could drink from the top. Couldn't have been friendler/more ecstatic about what the BC team had achieved. One of my friends asked him how sweet he thought it would be to lift the trophy up with the Rangers. Isaac McCloud responded on his behalf saying something to the effect of "didn't you know the kid is a bruin at heart?".

I find it funny that people on this board think I have some sort of agenda against Hayes. If anything, my opinion of him went from being entirely impartial to rather positive by the end of my senior year.

I had season tickets for 3 of the 4 seasons I was there. Decided not to re-up my tickets my junior year as I had moved off campus and going back on campus was a pain in the ass. It's the season he played least in.

I have probably watched Hayes play more than 50 times in 4 years.

He's got a rip of a shot. Absolute bomb.

But he has slow instincts. He doesn't use his frame consistently. He has poor board play. And the biggest knock on him, in terms of how he plays on the ice, is his speed (or lack there of).

As a free prospect... sure, why not. I'd love him. But the thing is some people have enchanted themselves with him and they have never watched him play.

What he needs isn't the Rangers. He needs a near guaranteed spot on a team where he can play as many NHL minutes as he can... otherwise, it's probably not looking too bright for him in the NHL. He'll need to redefine how he plays to succeed as a professional.

Yeah, but you are so biased. You even drank from the cup that Hayes handed you!

Honestly, If we would sign him - where does he play? Afaik he's a onedimensional offensive player that really has to play in the top6. He's not signing to play in the AHL. I do think this is yet another player that just got really lucky to play with an amazing linemate(s). Grachev comes to mind.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah, but you are so biased. You even drank from the cup that Hayes handed you!

Honestly, If we would sign him - where does he play? Afaik he's a onedimensional offensive player that really has to play in the top6. He's not signing to play in the AHL. I do think this is yet another player that just got really lucky to play with an amazing linemate(s). Grachev comes to mind.

As stated in the other thread, time is evenly distributed in the top 9.... Hayes should be smart enough to realize what coach he's actually playing for. Torts left awhile ago :p

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rust, JG was a MASSIVE reason why Hayes exploded this year. Easily the biggest reason. People were thinking there was a chance he wouldn't be signed a couple of years ago.

BarbaraAlphanse

Rust, JG was a MASSIVE reason why Hayes exploded this year. Easily the biggest reason. People were thinking there was a chance he wouldn't be signed a couple of years ago.

That's popular consensus.

Everyone sees the pretty passes that Gaudreau would make and assume that's how he always played.

Truth is, a lot of the time it was the JG show with everyone else standing around.

I really don't want to downplay Hayes' accomplishment. A lot of those stats that you see are from what he earned. He worked out a lot of those points.

Gaudreau is a rare talent. And yes, some of the success Hayes saw was because teams would be scrambling to double down on Gaudreau. But a lot of it was indirect.

To be honest, I credit Hayes' stupendous season this year to York. He put his head down, worked hard this year, and became fundamentally more sound. Without that, he'd have probably produced at the same clip he was the first three years at BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad