Rumor: Blackhawks' Kevin Hayes on Rangers radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
His junior season ended abruptly with a thigh injury that necessitated several surgeries, but Hayes is expected to be healthy and ready for his senior season at Boston College. He should be a top forward for the Eagles in all situations. The Blackhawks will surely look to get Hayes under contract following the completion of his college season and likely have him finish out the year in Rockford.

Hope that doesn't cause any issues going forward.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Very pleased to get him.

Gorton + Sather have done a great job harvesting the UDFA market, to sort of make up for the traded picks.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
I hate going by stats but Kevin out scored Kreider by 20 points (more goals and a ton more assists) in his final season in BU and Kreids played 4 more games.

Who is Kevin Hayes compared to?

Hayes played on one of the best lines in all of college hockey last year, and Gaudreau was an absolute monster. Stats were most definitely inflated, but he still has the potential to be an above-average NHLer.

I don't know enough about him to make a comparison though. I know he's like 6'2" 200-ish

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Front office has done a shrewd job of replenishing our depth. If Hayes makes the team, Stempniak (a 30-40 point middle sixer) could end up on our 4th line.

Vidic15*

It will be interesting to see how the contract breaks down. I'm sure some of the bonuses are based off games played, which will give Hayes extra incentive to make the team right out of camp.

Hayes had way more assists this year than goals. Doesn't that suggest Gaudreau was benefiting more from Hayes rather than vice versa?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It will be interesting to see how the contract breaks down. I'm sure some of the bonuses are based off games played, which will give Hayes extra incentive to make the team right out of camp.

Hayes had way more assists this year than goals. Doesn't that suggest Gaudreau was benefiting more from Hayes rather than vice versa?

As a counterpoint... it could also mean that Hayes was just giving Gaudreau the puck and letting him work his magic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers desperately need size. People here disagree but there were points in the final where LA imposed their size on the Rangers. Yes the Rangers lost three heartbreaking overtime games where the bounce of puck determined the results but the size of the Kings was noticeable.

Mattias Norström did the POs for Swedish TV. He is maybe not the super analytic type, but the guy got a ton of experience and is actually really sharp.

Like 5 minutes into game 1 he said something like "LAK is overwhelming NY infront of NYs net, and completely shielding them from getting infront of Qucik at the other end. NYR better fix this instantly or they will loose this series. You can never win a series in the NHL POs if you loose the battles infront of both nets."

I've heard like Norström do 100 games. He almost never goes out on a limb etc. I recall that the fact that he said that and the way he said it really caught my attention. For this guy it was real obvious that LAKs ability to crash our net real hard was not going to work out well for us. And it didn't. When everything was said and done, that was basically what it came down to. And we are smaller now than we were last season.

AV knows this from playing in the West.

Last edited:

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
whats his projection in terms of position? I see him listed mainly as a RW, but people have mentioned hes played Center before? I assume NYR seem him as a winger?

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut

Or Hayes got all of those assists because Gaudreau was a great scorer haha

Either way, this team could use a young playmaker. Hopefully they try him out at center as well as wing

Brady Skjei

Aug 12, 2010
This team has some SERIOUS bottom-6 depth. Hayes, Fast, Miller, Lindberg, Bourque, Lombardi, Glass, Stempniak all battling for 4 spots. Haggerty isn't too far off either.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Thrilled we got Hayes. Added a developed first rounder back for free. Adds needed size to the team.

I think he has a real chance to make the team. I'm not sold on Fast as a serviceable option for the team just yet. Think he needs another year in Hartford.

If Hayes can crack the team out of camp we have a really nice problem with too many top 9 options.

Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Miller-Stempniak/Hayes
Stempniak/Hayes-Moore-Lombardi/Glass

Stempniak is a great third liner and him slotting on the 4th would be a good problem to have. It would also likely force Glass to sit which I'm sure everyone will be happy with.

We might be getting ahead of ourselves and Hayes may need to start in Hartford, but I'm thrilled about adding a legit asset for free.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Front office has done a shrewd job of replenishing our depth. If Hayes makes the team, Stempniak (a 30-40 point middle sixer) could end up on our 4th line.

(no lines, just players)

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hayes - Miller - MSL
Stempaniak - Moore - no1curr

Fry_drool.gif

Vidic15*

And we are smaller now than we were last season.

Hayes offsets Pouliot's size and will probably be more physical. Miller is bigger, and plays bigger, than Richards. Boyle's size is irreplaceable but he never played his size to begin with. McIlrath is a possibility to make the team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hayes offsets Pouliot's size and will probably be more physical. Miller is bigger, and plays bigger, than Richards. Boyle's size is irreplaceable but he never played his size to begin with. McIlrath is a possibility to make the team.

Yeah, and of course if Hayes can replace Pouliot from the get go its no issue, but Pouliot's size will be missed.

Like more than anything, the "size" that is valuble in this league right now is not the size that makes a player break his ribs because he was hit by someone being 220 lbs. Or 200 lbs. Its the size on a forward that prevents a D from getting a hold of that forward. Its the reach around the net. Its when a D shift after shift has to move a forward that is 220 instead of 180.

Pouliot hit some in the PO's but over the course of the season he was a pacifist. Sure. But D's couldn't toss him around. He was taller than most players on the ice and even if he wasn't physical he used his size to hid advantage, that counts maybe more than anything else up front right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad