Rumor: Blackhawks' Kevin Hayes on Rangers radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
This is exactly the move the Rangers need to do. Cannot let this opportunity slip away.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Chicago could conceivably trade his rights, Winnipeg sent Samuels-Thomas' similar expiring rights to Buffalo last week for very late pick, who then signed him.
But the excess hype will raise the price CBH might ask.
If geography or Kreider, fit into Hayes' thinking, maybe we have a shot if he gets to UFA.
But hype aside, he's probably not the next Justin Schultz, another drafted player from NCAA, who gamed the system to become an amateur free agent after college, and became a full-time and impact NHL player as a rookie.
He'd just be another promising wing prospect among Fast, Hrivik, Kristo, etc.

The difference between him and those other guys is he provides some level of size

BarbaraAlphanse

I have a gut feeling that Hayes will go to Columbus or Pittsburgh.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
He's a good player, but those 65 points are greatly inflated by playing with Gaudreau, one of the better college players in a long time.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
FYI: The Hawks get the 54th pick in the draft as compensation if he walks, so they have no reason to trade him for less.

Interesting. So if they traded him for a conditional 2nd, and acquiring team didn't sign him, would Chicago still get that 54th overall? I'd assume not. Basically if a team wants to acquire his rights, they'd have to trade a guaranteed 2nd.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Interesting. So if they traded him for a conditional 2nd, and acquiring team didn't sign him, would Chicago still get that 54th overall? I'd assume not. Basically if a team wants to acquire his rights, they'd have to trade a guaranteed 2nd.

Yeah it falls under that "Wheeler rule" where if a team loses the rights to a player because they will not sign, they're awarded the same number selection in the 2nd round of the upcoming draft. Sather got the NHL to rule that Cherepanov's death fell under the same circumstance as well.

Basically if they trade him, they've moved his rights before their ownership expired. They wouldn't get the pick no matter what the conditions were surrounding the trade because they chose to deal his rights as opposed to losing them because he elected free agency.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah it falls under that "Wheeler rule" where if a team loses the rights to a player because they will not sign, they're awarded the same number selection in the 2nd round of the upcoming draft. Sather got the NHL to rule that Cherepanov's death fell under the same circumstance as well.

Basically if they trade him, they've moved his rights before their ownership expired. They wouldn't get the pick no matter what the conditions were surrounding the trade because they chose to deal his rights as opposed to losing them because he elected free agency.

Would the acquiring team be awarded the compensatory selection if he failed to sign? Again, I suspect not, but if it did, that would provide incentive for a team to make a trade for him now. You could guarantee Chicago a second, knowing that if you didn't sign him you'd be awarded that 54th overall pick.

Wishful thinking, I'm sure. :laugh:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
hypothetically, what do you think it would cost in a trade?.. i know we could possibly get him for nothing, but if we trade for him, then we have the better chance to sign him.

Chicago will get a second rounder as compensation for losing him, so to trade him, they'd need to get more than that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Would the acquiring team be awarded the compensatory selection if he failed to sign? Again, I suspect not, but if it did, that would provide incentive for a team to make a trade for him now. You could guarantee Chicago a second, knowing that if you didn't sign him you'd be awarded that 54th overall pick.

Wishful thinking, I'm sure. :laugh:

In 2004, we traded for R.J. Umberger, failed to sign him and got a compensatory second rounder. I don't think that this rule changed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In 2004, we traded for R.J. Umberger, failed to sign him and got a compensatory second rounder. I don't think that this rule changed.

Oh, cool. Didn't remember that. If that's still the case, offer up a second and a conditional fifth or something like that. I don't know that Chicago bites, but who knows.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Perhaps Kreider can make a phone call or two and convince him to sign with the Rangers...

:sarcasm:

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I see he is mentioned as a RW (our deepest position) in the Post, would he be able to transition to LW? He would look great on the left side of Brass and Zuke...

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The more the merrier regarding these kinds of signings. The more guys they have battling for roster spots the better.

I didn't expect the Rangers to really have a shot at him, but it's great they do.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think Calgary will hand him a spot. He'd have to earn one with the Rangers. The Flames are the likely landing spot, IMO. Still, he would be a nice add. Size and skating ability with solid hands around the net.

The Rangers have no depth on the wing. If no rookie winger makes the team, Glass is on the third line.

The only competition Hayes would have for a top-9 job is Jesper Fast, who has 5 games of NHL experience.

Even if Fast beats him, he still has a job on the fourth line. Only way he doesn't play in the NHL is if he can't play in the NHL.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The Rangers have no depth on the wing. If no rookie winger makes the team, Glass is on the third line.

The only competition Hayes would have for a top-9 job is Jesper Fast, who has 5 games of NHL experience.

Even if Fast beats him, he still has a job on the fourth line. Only way he doesn't play in the NHL is if he can't play in the NHL.

no depth on the wing?

RW: Nash, MSL, Zucc
LW: Kreider, Hagelin,

Zucc is probably interchangeable, so I see no reason why Hayes can't fit, but I would hardly call this no depth on the wing... unless you mean depth beyond the NHL roster, then I agree with you.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I think at this stage Fast, even with 5 games of experience, would be the better bet to crack the roster than Hayes. I also don't think the Rangers are going to go into the season praying for two rookies to crack the top-9.

He'd be a good add and would have a good shot at making the team, but I don't think it's a guarantee by any stretch.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i dont see him as a fit on our 3rd line and i dont like anyone on our "2nd line" being bumped down.

hes a fairly one dimensional player even if we kinda need his one dimension and we do. lol. i wouldnt call him overly physical at all.

nash
kreider
msl
zuke
hags

miller may get his shot at wing esp if lombardi comes in and dazzles with his speed.

we seem to have a spot open for a winger.

damn i already miss poo. he was a pretty darn good player for us.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The only way it's changed is you no longer get compensation for 2nd round picks.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
no depth on the wing?

RW: Nash, MSL, Zucc
LW: Kreider, Hagelin,

Zucc is probably interchangeable, so I see no reason why Hayes can't fit, but I would hardly call this no depth on the wing... unless you mean depth beyond the NHL roster, then I agree with you.

Five wingers isn't depth. You need 8 every game, so with injuries, you are really looking at 10 who'll play a significant number of games. Hayes doesn't need to fill 3-5 spots, he needs 1 spot and that is more than available based on what you wrote yourself.

By the way, depth doesn't mean the top two lines, it kind of means the opposite, so why are you listing wingers all but one of whom will be on the top 2 lines?

I think at this stage Fast, even with 5 games of experience, would be the better bet to crack the roster than Hayes. I also don't think the Rangers are going to go into the season praying for two rookies to crack the top-9.

He'd be a good add and would have a good shot at making the team, but I don't think it's a guarantee by any stretch.

I highly doubt the Rangers go into the training camp penciling in a particular rookie. They will judge who wins the spot (Fast, Kristo, Haggerty, Hayes if we sign him) based on their play. To be able to compete against other inexperienced rookies is as good a chance as someone like Hayes could hope for. It's not as if any team will just have spots totally wide open where if he can't handle NHL responsibilities, now they have a gaping hole with nobody to wear the jersey.

Competing against rookies, a guy who was out of the NHL (Lombardi) and a goon who was benched a bunch of times last year (Glass) isn't much competition for someone who's NHL-ready. There are multiple spots that the Rangers have nobody penciled in for in the bottom-6, so if Hayes is ready, he'll play in the NHL.

And if he's not ready, he shouldn't be demanding to play at this level because it will ruin his development. If he needs to play in the AHL for half a season to a season to get ready for the big show, then he should do that. It didn't harm McDonagh, it didn't harm Kreider, it won't harm Hayes if that's what he needs. But being rushed did destroy many careers.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
i dont see him as a fit on our 3rd line and i dont like anyone on our "2nd line" being bumped down.

hes a fairly one dimensional player even if we kinda need his one dimension and we do. lol. i wouldnt call him overly physical at all.

nash
kreider
msl
zuke
hags

miller may get his shot at wing esp if lombardi comes in and dazzles with his speed.

we seem to have a spot open for a winger.

damn i already miss poo. he was a pretty darn good player for us.

You don't think he would work well with Brass and Zuccs?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You don't think he would work well with Brass and Zuccs?

i might not be as excited about his game as many here are.

he doesnt have the overall game that poo displayed last season.

like i said, i dont see alot more than size, a really good shot and some nifty hands. his skating is meh and his ability to play the body isnt so good.

i think expecting kevin hayes to play in poos spot is a stretch.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't know how much of an NHL career he has.

To put it in perspective, it is virtually unheard of of a top organization in a top US city to let a "top" prospect walk or have a "top" prospect leave.

I think the excuse of "he was blocked" is absolute ********. If he was good enough, he'd force his way into the line up.

Johnny Gaudreau in the same position in the same organization would force his way in.

He really shouldn't be hyped as much as he is.

It would be nice to get a "free" asset. No one would be complaining about that. But its getting a little ridiculous on here, in terms of potential level of excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad