Rumor: Blackhawks' Kevin Hayes on Rangers radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Every team has prospects like Fast, Kristo and Haggerty, you just don't pay attention to other teams' non-blue chippers. But every team has prospects like the trio you cited.

If Hayes is afraid of them, he should go sign in the Slovak or the French league because that's what he will have to deal with in the NHL no matter what team he signs with. Plus, other teams have proven vets on the bottom-6, which we do not.

Last edited:

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
what worries me about signing him is he's gonna get a lot. Using Justin Schultz as a point of reference, it's hard to justify $3.5M+ of cap hit on an unproven player like him. Another question is if he has a salary of 900k w/ bonuses pushing his cap up, is his QO as an RFA based off his base salary or that cap hit. I'm just thinking of MDZ who's salary was so high, his QO became just unjustifiable. Granted, this would be getting a player for "free" so it's not as bad as "losing" your 1st round pick for nothing if we were to get him. Good thing we traded DZ!

What is the best way to manage your cap in this situation? I mean $3.5M is Alex Barkov money. Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat got that type of money in TB. Heck, Stepan only has a 3.075M cap hit. I'm not sure signing an unproven player for that high a number is best for managing the cap moving forward. Granted players/agents are probably not looking at actual cap numbers... still gotta wonder if this could inflate your own internal market. RFAs be like "whoa, that's money I should be getting!"

Blake Wheeler was given a 2yr / $5.65m ELC with Boston in the exact same situation as Hayes. $875k base salary, roughly 2m in bonuses, $2.825 AAV.

He went to arbitration after the contract ended, and was awarded a $2.2m 1 year deal.

Following year, 2yr / $5.5m deal. $2.55 AAV.

Should be the least of their concerns if they want to sign this guy.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I've only watched Hayes a few times (and was never focused on him as I was usually watching Kreider or Skjei or Nieves), but this is a no-brainer if you can get him. I appreciate that he has limitations, but 6'3" 205lbs, booming slapshot, 65 points in 40 games in the NCAA (after 25 in 27 the year before), former first round pick... he'd immediately leapfrog to somewhere in the top 10 of our prospect rankings. I'm not saying he's the second coming, but again - it's a no-brainer and would be a very quality add.

BarbaraAlphanse

I've only watched Hayes a few times (and was never focused on him as I was usually watching Kreider or Skjei or Nieves), but this is a no-brainer if you can get him. I appreciate that he has limitations, but 6'3" 205lbs, booming slapshot, 65 points in 40 games in the NCAA (after 25 in 27 the year before), former first round pick... he'd immediately leapfrog to somewhere in the top 10 of our prospect rankings. I'm not saying he's the second coming, but again - it's a no-brainer and would be a very quality add.

He'd be better served going to a franchise that will spoon feed him minutes. He'll be in the AHL here.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not comparable at all.

Hayes with a much different tool box than Boyle.

Boyle was also a defender at BC.

Don't disagree. Just pointing out the similarities that RB was likely referring to.

He'd be better served going to a franchise that will spoon feed him minutes. He'll be in the AHL here.

That may be what he winds up doing - but if we do get him, it'd be a quality add.

And, given the structure of our roster as it stands, he would have a legitimate shot at making the team. He wouldn't be spoon-fed, but he'd have a very real chance of breaking camp with the big club if he were to beat out some combination of Miller/Fast/Lindberg/Lombardi.

Openings in the forward corps, cap-strapped, coming off the SC finals, needing size, on the east coast close to home... I can definitely see the Rangers being in contention.

BarbaraAlphanse

Don't disagree. Just pointing out the similarities that RB was likely referring to.

That may be what he winds up doing - but if we do get him, it'd be a quality add.

And, given the structure of our roster as it stands, he would have a legitimate shot at making the team. He wouldn't be spoon-fed, but he'd have a very real chance of breaking camp with the big club if he were to beat out some combination of Miller/Fast/Lindberg/Lombardi.

Openings in the forward corps, cap-strapped, coming off the SC finals, needing size, on the east coast close to home... I can definitely see the Rangers being in contention.

I just think that even mentioning that as a possibility is setting up Hayes to be a giant disappointment if he ever comes here.

It's like if I tried to suggest that Chris Duhon could become Magic Johnson.

I'd like him in the sense that he is a free asset. Would mean more depth. But having any NHL expectations of him, especially of that of a completely underrated and important player to a SC finals team, is just setting up the fans of our franchise to hate him.

I'd rather him go to Florida with Jimmy and they can both get plenty of playing time to learn at the highest level.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I can't believe that so many people can justify this excuse.

That's the talk of a loser. Not meant in an insulting way. It's a losing mentality.

"I can't go out and beat someone else for a spot, let me go somewhere else where it will be easier for me."

This isn't like the Erixon situation, where he was mortified of the geographic city that he'd have to live in playing for a team that wasn't close to making the playoffs.

Hayes is in a winning organization in one of the most appealing US cities to live in. If he doesn't want to go out and win a spot... that's on him and his resolve.

That's not all what happened to Erixon.

They had no faith in Calgary's organization, and I say "they" because he of course is supported a lot by his dad.

And BTW, did you just compare Brian Boyle to Magic Johnson? ;) seriously though, I wasn't familiar with Boyle in College but Boyle in LA never accepted a checking role. He wanted to become a scoring forward and LA soured on him because of it. He needed a change of scenery to accept his role and change his game. Hayes is still a young kid.

I do think some are selling Hayes a bit short. We have very little size on the roster and — no — size on the farm up front. I had some time and looked Hayes up. The kid is not a good enough skater to be a force on the forecheck and he will get behind a bit when the game goes a lot of N-S. He would become a solid AHLer but not a star because of it. BUT a good opertunity is A and O and we can provide that for him. Hayes works well with smart players. He has good hands and a good shot. I never get listings, but the kid is big. Much bigger than Pouliot.

He could play sooner rather than later. Out of camp? Well who knows. Seems unlikely. But we really need his size.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Blake Wheeler was given a 2yr / $5.65m ELC with Boston in the exact same situation as Hayes. $875k base salary, roughly 2m in bonuses, $2.825 AAV.

He went to arbitration after the contract ended, and was awarded a $2.2m 1 year deal.

Following year, 2yr / $5.5m deal. $2.55 AAV.

Should be the least of their concerns if they want to sign this guy.

I haven't refreshed my memory on this in a while, but this changed with the new CBA.

BarbaraAlphanse

That's not all what happened to Erixon.

They had no faith in Calgary's organization, and I say "they" because he of course is supported a lot by his dad.

And BTW, did you just compare Brian Boyle to Magic Johnson? ;) seriously though, I wasn't familiar with Boyle in College but Boyle in LA never accepted a checking role. He wanted to become a scoring forward and LA soured on him because of it. He needed a change of scenery to accept his role and change his game. Hayes is still a young kid.

I do think some are selling Hayes a bit short. We have very little size on the roster and — no — size on the farm up front. I had some time and looked Hayes up. The kid is not a good enough skater to be a force on the forecheck and he will get behind a bit when the game goes a lot of N-S. He would become a solid AHLer but not a star because of it. BUT a good opertunity is A and O and we can provide that for him. Hayes works well with smart players. He has good hands and a good shot. I never get listings, but the kid is big. Much bigger than Pouliot.

He could play sooner rather than later. Out of camp? Well who knows. Seems unlikely. But we really need his size.

I should just drop somewhere on here that i've watched him play probably over 50 times in 4 years...

I think he can be an effective 13th forward. Someone gets injured, he can come in type thing. Anything more and I'll be completely surprised.

As I've said a lot in the past, Jimmy was the better of the two Hayes', IMO. Much more of a complete player.

Hayes has a bomb shot. Not accurate, but that thing is a bullet. Aside from that, he's a hair faster than Taylor Pyatt was. His board play is below average.

Really, the only people that i've seen high on his future prospects are other BC kids who are so invested in the team that they look past any player deficiencies.

I'd love for him to succeed, but having watched him as much as I have, I'm really trying to temper the expectations. Personally, as a Rangers fan, I think he'd be a great "free" asset. No brainer.

As a Kevin fan, I'd love for him to rejoin his brother in Florida and log as many NHL minutes as he can.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Signing a player like Hayes kind of makes up for not having a first the last couple of years. He's already developed and could start contributing this year or next when this team needs it. If he can play center well is an added bonus and will push Miller to play even harder due to the added competition.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zucc
Stemp - Hayes/Miller - MSL
Lombardi - D. Moore - Glass/Fast/R. Bourque

Or

Nash - Stepan - MSL
Kreider - Brassard - Zucc
Hagelin -Miller/Hayes - Stemp
Lombardi - D. Moore - Glass/Fast/R. Bourque

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Don't think he signs here now after Stempniak signed. I think Calgary is the best fit for his development.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Not comparable at all.

Hayes with a much different tool box than Boyle.

Boyle was also a defender at BC.

Another myth. :shakehead

Do your homework.

Boyle was always a forward. Due to injuries to the back-end, Boyle volunteered to go back and play defense for the remainder of his senior year.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Our friend has a problem with Kevin Hayes. Every time Hayes is mentioned,he loses it. Weird.

Boyle has carved out an NHL career as a role player. At the very least,Hayes can have a similar career.

That's all. Some people can't see that.

Chris Dilks is a college hockey blogger. He knows his stuff.

#1 NHL prospect in college hockey

1. Kevin Hayes, Forward, Boston College (Chicago Blackhawks)

His linemate Johnny Gaudreau gets more headlines, but Hayes' 6-foot-2, 200-plus pound frame allows him to play a power forward game. It's something coach Jerry York is trying to get him to do more of, and when he's at his best, he looks a lot like a David Backes.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...p-100-nhl-prospects-1-20-free-agent-nhl-draft

His size will allow him to play in the NHL. Even if its as a 4th line role player such as Boyle. Even if Kreider couldn't put the puck in the ocean,his size and skating ability would see him have a long NHL career.

The Rangers can get this player for just money. He can be a good NHL player. Not a star. Good player.

Any team signing this player gets his services for the next 5 years before group III. Signs a 2 year ELC which isn't one of those contracts which sees the first year used up by placing the player on the active roster like Danny Kristo and Ryan Haggerty. Arbitration eligible after the two years. Hayes is 22. Group III is 7 or 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad