Post-Game Talk: Black and Blue Friday in Sunrise. Jets win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I really like the game of Namestikov. According to the radio broadcast he has 7 points, in his last 7 games, and in the plus, minus category he is + 12 ( great) This guy is underrated, covers a lot of ice quickly, and is a great playmaker. For the $ 2million we pay him , you can't find a better deal than that, on a great 2 way forward. I'm a fan.
It tells you how sick our depth is when he will be the player moving down to the fourth line once Vilardi is ready to go.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I remember declaring recently that I now look at the default divisional NHL standings, and not the wild card view, since contemplating the Jets fighting with the dregs to secure a mere wild card berth was beneath me and our team.

I think I was too hasty in that decision. Now, I have to monitor what dreg the Jets could face in Round 1 if they secure their first ever divisional title. Oh, look! It would be the pitiful St. Louis Blues! Is this what league royalty gets to do in Round 1 LMAO?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At some point, we have to admit that Nino-Lowry-Apples is our second line... given they play 3-4 more mins a game than the Fly line

If Iafallo is the RW, that fourth line has a goal for sure tonight...

I'm talking more about role then minutes. The Lowry line has usually gotten more minutes then the second line going back year now.

Reactions: Snowboy

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I remember declaring recently that I now look at the default divisional NHL standings, and not the wild card view, since contemplating the Jets fighting with the dregs to secure a mere wild card berth was beneath me and our team.

I think I was too hasty in that decision. Now, I have to monitor what dreg the Jets could face in Round 1 if they secure their first ever divisional title. Oh, look! It would be the pitiful St. Louis Blues! Is this what league royalty gets to do in Round 1 LMAO?
Cart…..please stay behind the horse….

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would start him on the 4th line, until his body and mind get up to game speed. Right now, why would you want to mess with the line combos when their clicking so well together ? Right now I really like Names playing with Ehlers and Perfetti, and wouldn't mess with that line, and Ehlers is just "starting" to heat up. What I would do, when it was time, is put him back on the 1st line, and put Iafallo on the 3rd or 4th line. Nice problem to have is great depth.
I would agree with this. Valardi will need a bit of time to get back into game shape and will be happy to be back in the lineup. Over the next week or two there will be an opportunity to move him up as he gets into the flow of things.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This team seems much more than the sum of the few changes that were made.

I don’t know what it was, but wow!
Its leadership in my mind, and not simply Lowry a C, though what a great choice.

The guys we've added has tipped the scales in terms of guys who are disciplined enough to play the right way no matter the circumstance, and lead on the ice by their battle level every shift.

Last year we had Nino, Names and Jomo as standouts who did it, but we also had guys like PLD who had to be in a certain mood, Wheeler who just couldn't do it consistently anymore, and Harkins, Stenlund, Toninato etc who just weren't good enough.

With the additions of Iafallo, and the Rebirth of Schiefele, along with some subtraction, there's just way more guys who just lead by example and I think that's contagious.

I also want to talk about the defense. I don't know what's gotten into Dillon but he's kind of possessed right now. He has a lot more skill than I think people realize, he's a pretty good skater (not in terms of elegance or agility but just getting to places he needs to be).

Samberg still has the very occasional oh shit moment, but he's rounding into a prototypical minute munching defensive defenseman. He's blocking shots well and making good exit decisions. I really want him to explore using his shot more - I dont think he'll ever be an offensive juggernaut but I think he does have more to offer there.

Pionk has been good to very good for weeks now. There's another level to his game, he doesn't have the mind that Morrissey has but he does have really nice hands and skating.

Schmidt looks like he's fully healed now and his passing is so much better. He's starting to feel himself so you can see more offensive forays, which is how he can contrive best to this team.

Morrissey is starting to play like he did last year. Not quite there yet but his confidence is growing.

Demelo is still making some un Demelo plays but he's starting to play better as well.

As much as I'd like to see one of the 3 black aces get some reps, I just don't see how it happens unless someone gets hurt.

I really just want Stanley off this roster. At the very least, Capo has earned some nhl salary and to get a few games in.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Love this version of the jets....they gave me back my interest in watching them again!

and ehlers!!!..what can u say about that goal...obvious missing training camp set him back
Yeah I was pretty down on him but that goal and that leap around play earlier were amazing. He still doesn't have the flat or speed but his agility is almost back to normal which is huge

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its leadership in my mind, and not simply Lowry a C, though what a great choice.

The guys we've added has tipped the scales in terms of guys who are disciplined enough to play the right way no matter the circumstance, and lead on the ice by their battle level every shift.

Last year we had Nino, Names and Jomo as standouts who did it, but we also had guys like PLD who had to be in a certain mood, Wheeler who just couldn't do it consistently anymore, and Harkins, Stenlund, Toninato etc who just weren't good enough.

With the additions of Iafallo, and the Rebirth of Schiefele, along with some subtraction, there's just way more guys who just lead by example and I think that's contagious.

I also want to talk about the defense. I don't know what's gotten into Dillon but he's kind of possessed right now. He has a lot more skill than I think people realize, he's a pretty good skater (not in terms of elegance or agility but just getting to places he needs to be).

Samberg still has the very occasional oh shit moment, but he's rounding into a prototypical minute munching defensive defenseman. He's blocking shots well and making good exit decisions. I really want him to explore using his shot more - I dont think he'll ever be an offensive juggernaut but I think he does have more to offer there.

Pionk has been good to very good for weeks now. There's another level to his game, he doesn't have the mind that Morrissey has but he does have really nice hands and skating.

Schmidt looks like he's fully healed now and his passing is so much better. He's starting to feel himself so you can see more offensive forays, which is how he can contrive best to this team.

Morrissey is starting to play like he did last year. Not quite there yet but his confidence is growing.

Demelo is still making some un Demelo plays but he's starting to play better as well.

As much as I'd like to see one of the 3 black aces get some reps, I just don't see how it happens unless someone gets hurt.

I really just want Stanley off this roster. At the very least, Capo has earned some nhl salary and to get a few games in.
Agreed with everything you said but will add that Capo has a one way contract this season and gets the same $775,000 salary on the Moose. Saying that I think will eventually get his call up and stick. Personally I think he is better than both Stanley and Chisholm and will show it the next time he gets back into the lineup.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I feel inspired to write a Black Friday "Quick Thoughts" post...

Lowry having his best season, yet. Really impressed by his speed and puck-handling for a player of his size and role.
Great summary whileee - this is why I miss you.

As for Lowry, I've been thinking this pretty much all season. I do not know what he did to train this off season but he is very noticeably faster. It adds so much to his game as he can back d off a lot more and with his size and reach its really hard to get him off the puck.

Agreed with everything you said but will add that Capo has a one way contract this season and gets the same $775,000 salary on the Moose. Saying that I think will eventually get his call up and stick. Personally I think he is better than both Stanley and Chisholm and will show it the next time he gets back into the lineup.
Well that's good to know! I still think he deserves the bright lights of the NHL and I really hope they find a way to get him up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad