Post-Game Talk: Black and Blue Friday in Sunrise. Jets win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Even Dom and the boys at the Athletic showing some love for this seasons version of the Jets on their weekly power rankings. Its been a while since we have been in their good graces.

” After a slow start that had Winnipeg on its usual path to the league’s mushy middle, the Jets rapidly changed course. Kyle Connor has scored a million goals, Mark Scheifele has been vintage, Josh Morrissey has maintained last year’s dominance, Connor Hellebuyck is heating up, the team has one of the best third lines in hockey — and the Jets have won seven of eight as a result.”

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Great summary whileee - this is why I miss you.

As for Lowry, I've been thinking this pretty much all season. I do not know what he did to train this off season but he is very noticeably faster. It adds so much to his game as he can back d off a lot more and with his size and reach its really hard to get him off the puck.

Well that's good to know! I still think he deserves the bright lights of the NHL and I really hope they find a way to get him up here.
Agree about Lowry, Jet. I've noticed that he's quite lean, now. I think he has focused more on being leaner and quicker the past couple of seasons, and it's elevated his game. Now, his great reach and stick is supplemented by better speed and quickness. He's also been proving his puck handling. He's now able to augment talented wingers, which gives the Jets the option of a dynamic 2nd/3rd line.

Imagine going against this big duo all game...
download - 2023-11-25T191710.164.png

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree about Lowry, Jet. I've noticed that he's quite lean, now. I think he has focused more on being leaner and quicker the past couple of seasons, and it's elevated his game. Now, his great reach and stick is supplemented by better speed and quickness. He's also been proving his puck handling. He's now able to augment talented wingers, which gives the Jets the option of a dynamic 2nd/3rd line.

Imagine going against this big duo all game...
View attachment 773057
Ok this is wild, and "don't fix what ain't broke" but with Vilardi coming back could there be a way we could roll 3 scoring lines that have defensive chops?

That would be a matchups nightmare.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Even Dom and the boys at the Athletic showing some love for this seasons version of the Jets on their weekly power rankings. Its been a while since we have been in their good graces.

” After a slow start that had Winnipeg on its usual path to the league’s mushy middle, the Jets rapidly changed course. Kyle Connor has scored a million goals, Mark Scheifele has been vintage, Josh Morrissey has maintained last year’s dominance, Connor Hellebuyck is heating up, the team has one of the best third lines in hockey — and the Jets have won seven of eight as a result.”
Many pundits underestimated the Jets in their rankings despite all the models placing them at or above other "contenders". They were basically ignoring their own models, which is more of a social phenomenon than anything.

It was basically "well, we realize that the Jets' roster looks very good, but it's the Jets so we think they aren't as good as they look".

The same attitude pervaded a lot of local fans and pundits.

Right now, Moneypuck has the Jets' odds of the Cup at around 9%, which is probably higher than the odds of a #1 overall pick for a team that starts the season trying to tank. So much for the "tank brigade".
Ok this is wild, and "don't fix what ain't broke" but with Vilardi coming back could there be a way we could roll 3 scoring lines that have defensive chops?

That would be a matchups nightmare.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Josh Morrissey has arrived as a legit elite #1D in the league.
It is not just his scoring abilities that makes him one but his puck handling skills and his hockey IQ is just top level.
Is he now the Jets 2.0 best draft pick ever?
We have had some really good picks but after seeing so many teams struggle without goaltending it has to be Helly for me.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Many pundits underestimated the Jets in their rankings despite all the models placing them at or above other "contenders". They were basically ignoring their own models, which is more of a social phenomenon than anything.

It was basically "well, we realize that the Jets' roster looks very good, but it's the Jets so we think they aren't as good as they look".

Right now, Moneypuck has the Jets' odds of the Cup at around 9%, which is probably higher than the odds of a #1 overall pick for a team that starts the season trying to tank. So much for the "tank brigade".
That's because the Jets consistently underperformed during the Paul Maurice years. People have gone 'show me' on the Jets. Now the team is showing the league and folks are taking notice.

Reactions: TommyKillian

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Frankly Whileeeeeee, it’s time for HF Forums to take proper notice. I have taken it on myself to sound the horns:

Jets Canada’s Best Hope

I welcome all Jets fans to rejoice as surely other fans may choose to rain on our parade. :cool:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't mind starting Valardi off slow, he's missed alot of time but i think he will bring exactly what Iafallo brings to the 1st line but just a little more scoring .
I also don't mind starting Vilardi on the 4th line and let him get a couple games under his belt and a little game conditioning back. No doubt he will gradually moved back up the lineup.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Top to bottom a really great game. Helley played a phenomenal game, obviously, but he didn't have to steal it I thought, I thought we dominated. This team when it fires and all cylinders should be a home playoff team like I said earlier in the season and a big part of that was us getting the goaltending. And it seems like 37 is out of his early season funk.

Good times.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Its leadership in my mind, and not simply Lowry a C, though what a great choice.

The guys we've added has tipped the scales in terms of guys who are disciplined enough to play the right way no matter the circumstance, and lead on the ice by their battle level every shift.

Last year we had Nino, Names and Jomo as standouts who did it, but we also had guys like PLD who had to be in a certain mood, Wheeler who just couldn't do it consistently anymore, and Harkins, Stenlund, Toninato etc who just weren't good enough.

With the additions of Iafallo, and the Rebirth of Schiefele, along with some subtraction, there's just way more guys who just lead by example and I think that's contagious.

I also want to talk about the defense. I don't know what's gotten into Dillon but he's kind of possessed right now. He has a lot more skill than I think people realize, he's a pretty good skater (not in terms of elegance or agility but just getting to places he needs to be).

Samberg still has the very occasional oh shit moment, but he's rounding into a prototypical minute munching defensive defenseman. He's blocking shots well and making good exit decisions. I really want him to explore using his shot more - I dont think he'll ever be an offensive juggernaut but I think he does have more to offer there.

Pionk has been good to very good for weeks now. There's another level to his game, he doesn't have the mind that Morrissey has but he does have really nice hands and skating.

Schmidt looks like he's fully healed now and his passing is so much better. He's starting to feel himself so you can see more offensive forays, which is how he can contrive best to this team.

Morrissey is starting to play like he did last year. Not quite there yet but his confidence is growing.

Demelo is still making some un Demelo plays but he's starting to play better as well.

As much as I'd like to see one of the 3 black aces get some reps, I just don't see how it happens unless someone gets hurt.

I really just want Stanley off this roster. At the very least, Capo has earned some nhl salary and to get a few games in.

Well said I agree with everything here

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wonder how we compare to the 2017-18 jets? Probably not as talented D but more structured.

I feel like the 17-18 Jets was all about size speed and skill, had rock solid goaltending, and had arguably the deepest roster. Defense had 3 RD 6'3 or bigger that were all offensive guys.

This year is very structured, comparable depth, same goaltending and deep roster. Just maybe missing the "it factor" that squad had with the PP. Defense now is better in our own end but not very offensive.

Some similarities:

Lowry line dominating

4th line going to have some talent that would be top six on a bad team (Perreault, Armia = Iafallo, Namestnikov)

A top line center for Ehlers line could slot everyone else in where they should be on a contender.

What's different now vs then:

D is excellent as a team but size could be an issue in the playoffs against teams with big skill forwards

As mentioned before, our PP is just okay vs very very good

Team is actually more experienced where as we were very young back then which is a big plus

Scheifele Connor line is arguably our biggest liability against structured, deep contenders and what they can throw at you.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I feel like the 17-18 Jets was all about size speed and skill, had rock solid goaltending, and had arguably the deepest roster. Defense had 3 RD 6'3 or bigger that were all offensive guys.

This year is very structured, comparable depth, same goaltending and deep roster. Just maybe missing the "it factor" that squad had with the PP. Defense now is better in our own end but not very offensive.

Some similarities:

Lowry line dominating

4th line going to have some talent that would be top six on a bad team (Perreault, Armia = Iafallo, Namestnikov)

A top line center for Ehlers line could slot everyone else in where they should be on a contender.

What's different now vs then:

D is excellent as a team but size could be an issue in the playoffs against teams with big skill forwards

As mentioned before, our PP is just okay vs very very good

Team is actually more experienced where as we were very young back then which is a big plus

Scheifele Connor line is arguably our biggest liability against structured, deep contenders and what they can throw at you.
Pp needs two very distinct lines playing two styles.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

What does Barron's chart look like - I feel like he'd have chemistry with names-ehlers

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jets Record at the same time last year vs this year

RecordPointsPoints %Position
Nov 26, 202212-6-125.658Tied for 2nd in Central
Nov 26, 202312-5-226.684Tied for 1st in Central

But the process has been so much better that it makes it much less likely that they have a shitty second half.

CF%xGF%CF% RankxGF% Rank
Nov 26, 202248.6248.172021
Nov 26, 202353.5051.49813

Granted last season they didn't have Ehlers for most of this period but this season they are missing Vilardi too.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Josh Morrissey has arrived as a legit elite #1D in the league.
It is not just his scoring abilities that makes him one but his puck handling skills and his hockey IQ is just top level.
Is he now the Jets 2.0 best draft pick ever?

Hellebuyck in the 5th rd says Hi!
But nice thought though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: