B-Sens Bingo 2016-17 On-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Bingo is 1 point out of the final playoff spot for it's division. I really thought they were done for the year but they have a legitimate shot of making the playoffs, good for them.

Anybody who closely follows them know what the difference has been? Goaltending, scoring, overall play?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So Bingo is 1 point out of the final playoff spot for it's division. I really thought they were done for the year but they have a legitimate shot of making the playoffs, good for them.

Anybody who closely follows them know what the difference has been? Goaltending, scoring, overall play?

I don't watch them, but Akeson seemed to spark plug them into playing well.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY

Driedger. The team wins when he's in net.
I don't watch them, but Akeson seemed to spark plug them into playing well.
I'm working on a piece concerning Akeson that is slated for Wednesday.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
2-1 with 15 mins to go in 1st

Jack Rodewald (10) ASST: Patrick Sieloff (5), Jason Akeson (9)

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Bingo lead 3-2 with 11 mins to go in2nd

0:12 BNG Nick Paul (4) ASST: Max McCormick (7)
3:54 BNG Phil Varone (7) ASST: Ben Harpur (7), Michael Kostka (10)

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Bingo lose 5-4

Casey Bailey (10) ASST: Jason Akeson (10), Chris Rumble (10) (PP)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I guess you would prefer more perimeter players like we don't have too many of those already. :shakehead

My comment is about this being a Bingo Thread not a Senators thread.. :shakehead: :amazed:

When have I ever given you that impression. I think your jumping to conclusions

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I guess you would prefer more perimeter players like we don't have too many of those already. :shakehead

Another blockhead without much skill wouldn't add anything to the Sens. Or Bingo for that matter. I think the change in play in Bingo is because Akeson has brought in an injection of skill the team lacked. Too many blockheads and face punchers on that team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Another blockhead without much skill wouldn't add anything to the Sens. Or Bingo for that matter. I think the change in play in Bingo is because Akeson has brought in an injection of skill the team lacked. Too many blockheads and face punchers on that team.

Like who? Stortini hasn't played in 12 games (out of 34, i.e. 35%). I think he's been healthy scratched.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Like who? Stortini hasn't played in 12 games (out of 34, i.e. 35%). I think he's been healthy scratched.

He's only been scratched lately. He was the captain after all...

I'm talking about Blundell, Rumble, Sieloff, McCormick, Lepine, etc.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
He's only been scratched lately. He was the captain after all...

I'm talking about Blundell, Rumble, Sieloff, McCormick, Lepine, etc.

Rumble has 14 pts and 4 pims in 25 games as a DMan... McCormick is tied for 2nd in scoring and is 3rd in goals (with 20 pims in 28 games). Blunden was a decent cup of coffee NHLer last year, and scored 5 pts in 20 games. Not sure you know what you're talking about, bud. AHL hockey is really damn tough, and just because the BSens lacked some skill, doesn't mean they had too many tough players. Akeson left because he wanted to, and came back because he wanted to. If anything, the BSens bet too much on skill players like Nehring.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Rumble has 14 pts and 4 pims in 25 games as a DMan... McCormick is tied for 2nd in scoring and is 3rd in goals (with 20 pims in 28 games). Blunden was a decent cup of coffee NHLer last year, and scored 5 pts in 20 games. Not sure you know what you're talking about, bud. AHL hockey is really damn tough, and just because the BSens lacked some skill, doesn't mean they had too many tough players. Akeson left because he wanted to, and came back because he wanted to. If anything, the BSens bet too much on skill players like Nehring.

Well, take a look at the teams who are actually doing well in the AHL. Their rosters are built around skill, not face punchers.

Yeah Akeson left on his own accord, but then it was the managements fault for not replacing that skill. The management bet on the wrong skill. Do you think it's a coincidence that the team has started playing better when Stortini was scratched and was replaced by Akeson?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Well, take a look at the teams who are actually doing well in the AHL. Their rosters are built around skill, not face punchers.

Yeah Akeson left on his own accord, but then it was the managements fault for not replacing that skill. The management bet on the wrong skill. Do you think it's a coincidence that the team has started playing better when Stortini was scratched and was replaced by Akeson?

As I said, the team did try to replace Akeson. They bet on Nehring, a skill player in a similar mould to Akeson, but Nehring has been a total bust so far. They expected a 20-25 goal guy, he is currently on pace for a 0 goal season. The Sens only have three skilled CHL forwards in their system - one, Perron, has been a super solid piece for Bingo, and the others, Brown and Chlapik, are too young for Bingo. Gagne might be included too but he is still super raw. The org has thus had to get skilled AHLers through trade and FA. Over the past year or so, we've acquired/added:

Varone
Akeson
Perron
Bailey
Rumble
Flannagan
Rodewald
Nehring

The problem is NOT that we have too many "face-punchers"... it's that our skilled guys are just "OK". Nehring has busted, Kostka has fallen off, Akeson left, Dzingel and Puempel became fulltime NHLers, Perron is a rookie, Paul is still developing... Considering how well the team has done since Akeson joined, it seems to me like the team actually was built fine (not great, but fine), but the unforeseen graduations/departures/busts set us back. BSens could still make the playoffs, so I guess I just don't really see the reason for your complaints. Seems like confirmation bias to me.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
As I said, the team did try to replace Akeson. They bet on Nehring, a skill player in a similar mould to Akeson, but Nehring has been a total bust so far. They expected a 20-25 goal guy, he is currently on pace for a 0 goal season. The Sens only have three skilled CHL forwards in their system - one, Perron, has been a super solid piece for Bingo, and the others, Brown and Chlapik, are too young for Bingo. Gagne might be included too but he is still super raw. The org has thus had to get skilled AHLers through trade and FA. Over the past year or so, we've acquired/added:

Varone
Akeson
Perron
Bailey
Rumble
Flannagan
Rodewald
Nehring

The problem is NOT that we have too many "face-punchers"... it's that our skilled guys are just "OK". Nehring has busted, Kostka has fallen off, Akeson left, Dzingel and Puempel became fulltime NHLers, Perron is a rookie, Paul is still developing... Considering how well the team has done since Akeson joined, it seems to me like the team actually was built fine (not great, but fine), but the unforeseen graduations/departures/busts set us back. BSens could still make the playoffs, so I guess I just don't really see the reason for your complaints. Seems like confirmation bias to me.

Yip the skill we tried to acquire is not good enough. Hence we need more skill not another blockhead to win. Do you understand this flow of logic?

That's what I was against, adding another facepuncher/blockhead. We are scratching one already, no need to add more on top of what they have as we have too many already.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Yip the skill we tried to acquire is not good enough. Hence we need more skill not another blockhead to win. Do you understand this flow of logic?

That's what I was against, adding another facepuncher/blockhead. We are scratching one already, no need to add more on top of what they have as we have too many already.

Okay, but adding another McCormick or Rumble or Blunden would definitely improve the team. The teams success or failure is simply about not having enough high impact players - "facepunchers" included. By all accounts, the face punchers you named have been mostly positive influences on the teams. It's about adding good players, not just skill players. That was the exact mistake they made with Nehring. I agree that we don't need another Stortini, but we sure as hell could use another McCormick.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Okay, but adding another McCormick or Rumble or Blunden would definitely improve the team. The teams success or failure is simply about not having enough high impact players - "facepunchers" included. By all accounts, the face punchers you named have been mostly positive influences on the teams. It's about adding good players, not just skill players. That was the exact mistake they made with Nehring. I agree that we don't need another Stortini, but we sure as hell could use another McCormick.

I disagree. They could use another Akeson, not McCormick. No more blockheads. And yes, McCormick is one. The balance between skill and grit was wrong in Bingo. They are closer to the correct balance now and you see some results.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I guess it's all about quality: nobody would complain if we added Lucic and Chara to Binghamton (I guess you'd ask me why we're adding them to Binghamton, but stay with me here :D), even if they're not the most skilled guys in the world.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My comment is about this being a Bingo Thread not a Senators thread.. :shakehead: :amazed:

When have I ever given you that impression. I think your jumping to conclusions

My mistake & apologies then, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I disagree. They could use another Akeson, not McCormick. No more blockheads. And yes, McCormick is one. The balance between skill and grit was wrong in Bingo. They are closer to the correct balance now and you see some results.

I then Chunk O Coal answer you perfectly so reason to rehash that. Akeson is & will be a career AHLer, personally I would not add career AHlers to our AHL roster who have no chance of ever playing in the NHL, what's the point other than helping the prospects prepare for the NHL. I would rather see our farm team filled with our best prospects including some of the players they rushed to the NHL like Lazar. While a veteran here & there would be okay, I would much prefer that our prospects play in the AHL until they are NHL ready.

So next yr I would rather see Hogberg, White, Jaros, Ahl, Chlapik & Chabot play in the AHL along with Paul, Perron, Englund, Harper, Gagne & some of our other prospects that are there already. While it's great to see the AHL team play well, the development of our prospects is what is more important. As the prospects get more experience in the AHL & start to play better than team should also improve & the prospects that have been there the longest can help the new guys adjust.

To be clear, I'm not a fan of Sortini but having him on the roster in case he is required in Bingo is not a terrible thing & again I doubt a 4th line player playing less than 5 min per game is what caused Bingo to be so bad out of the gate this yr. Just like I doubt Akeson added to the team is what turned the team around but rather everyone playing better as a group & as a team. I don't watch Bingo enough to know exactly what they could use to improve & leave that up to the Bingo fans to inform me but in Ottawa I think we have too many perimeter players & could use more net presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad