B-Sens Bingo 2016-17 On-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So next yr I would rather see Hogberg, White, Jaros, Ahl, Chlapik & Chabot play in the AHL along with Paul, Perron, Englund, Harper, Gagne & some of our other prospects that are there already. While it's great to see the AHL team play well, the development of our prospects is what is more important. As the prospects get more experience in the AHL & start to play better than team should also improve & the prospects that have been there the longest can help the new guys adjust.
I agree, but I doubt we'll see many of the Swedes come over to play in the AHL, and I doubt we'll have fixed all our depth problems at the NHL level to allow us to keep White and/or Chabot down.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I agree, but I doubt we'll see many of the Swedes come over to play in the AHL, and I doubt we'll have fixed all our depth problems at the NHL level to allow us to keep White and/or Chabot down.

It already started with Jaros electing to stay in Sweden next year...

Bingo needs to be fixed and fast or we'll have more cases like this.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Then why are we drafting these guys if they are not coming over until they know for sure they will be on the NHL squad or because they don't want to play in the AHL? It's another example why we should be drafting NA players that we can count on to play in the AHL & be available when Ottawa needs them instead of over seas where they are of absolutely no use to Ottawa at all during the yr.

Regarding White & Chabot, they probably are very close to being NHL ready or good enough to play in Ottawa next season but this coach doesn't seem to trust young players & aren't most here opposed to rushing prospects?

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Well, take a look at the teams who are actually doing well in the AHL. Their rosters are built around skill, not face punchers.

Yeah Akeson left on his own accord, but then it was the managements fault for not replacing that skill. The management bet on the wrong skill. Do you think it's a coincidence that the team has started playing better when Stortini was scratched and was replaced by Akeson?

Akeson didn't replace Stortini. He was a healthy scratch long before Jason's arrival and will be let go at some point.

However, the turning point so far this season was Akeson rejoining Binghamton after he was claimed off waivers after his stint in Russia.

This team will make the post season as long as Driedger is in net. Coach KK was a challenge early on in the locker room and is not a player's coach, but the players are finally buying in on what he has been selling, and it's currently paying off.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's only been scratched lately. He was the captain after all...

I'm talking about Blundell, Rumble, Sieloff, McCormick, Lepine, etc.

Blunden* has a 0.52 PPG in the AHL

Rumble has a 0.56 PPG in the AHL. He is a rookie but was also producing in the ECHL

Sieloff was a 2nd round pick. He is a physical defensive D-man but he is not a "blockhead or face puncher", he was drafted to be a shutdown D-man

McCormick was a 0.85 PPG player in the NCAA and has a 0.44 PPG in the AHL in just above 2 years. He may be just a marginal player in the NHL but he is a decent player at the AHL level and more like a pest rather than a fighter

Lepine, I don't know much about him, fight cards suggest he does fight but he might be Bingo's 6th D-man so no big deal.

Conclusion : your statement was not in line with reality

My opinion is that this team was lacking proven producers but with Varone and Akeson back, it has been getting better. There was also several players under-performing, notably Kostka who seems to be having a very tough season.

Yip the skill we tried to acquire is not good enough. Hence we need more skill not another blockhead to win. Do you understand this flow of logic?

That's what I was against, adding another facepuncher/blockhead. We are scratching one already, no need to add more on top of what they have as we have too many already.

Troy Brouwer is a blockhead?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62527

0.97 PPG in the AHL
0.48 in the NHL, scored 17-25 goals for 7 years in a row...

Brouwer is not a high skill guy but he would look great on our 3rd line RW (even though his cap hit is too high)

And what do you mean "we have too many already"? Face punchers/blockheads? lol only Borowiecki and Neil fit the fighting bill and they each play the less on defense and forwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Then why are we drafting these guys if they are not coming over until they know for sure they will be on the NHL squad or because they don't want to play in the AHL? It's another example why we should be drafting NA players that we can count on to play in the AHL & be available when Ottawa needs them instead of over seas where they are of absolutely no use to Ottawa at all during the yr.
Then we miss out on the likes of Tarasenko... It's a balance between the risk of losing a player to another league and the reward of getting a game-changer who actually does want to play in the NHL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Then we miss out on the likes of Tarasenko... It's a balance between the risk of losing a player to another league and the reward of getting a game-changer who actually does want to play in the NHL.

The Sens seemed to have missed out on him on purpose since they traded that pick, but what other player have they ever missed out on? Don't they pick the best player available from their draft position based on where they have been drafting usually around 10th to 15th give or take in so many yrs isn't there usually a NA player who is just as potentially good as any European in those spots? Every draft there seems to be players drafted after us that wind up getting a good calibre NHL player. I don't think it is a huge problem though but it would be so much more advantageous for Ottawa if these prospects came over & played for the farm team & were available should the parent team Ottawa need them during any given NHL season is all I am saying.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
St. John's at Binghamton
Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
Jan 6, 2017

Goalies:
St. John's NL Lindgren
Binghamton Driedger

1st Period-1, Binghamton, Rumble 4 (Akeson, Kostka), 19:06 (PP). Penalties-Racine Stj (boarding), 17:35. Sens get a PP they ran a basic power play & were able to keep the puck in the St. John's end the whole time..... Rumble lets it go and it went off a Dman beating Lindgren...... Most of the period belonged to St. John's......
Shots: 12-8 St. John's
After 1st.
St. John's 0
Binghamton 1

2nd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Rumble Bng (tripping), 9:26; de la Rose Stj (cross-checking), 12:34; Sieloff Bng (diving/embellishment), 12:34. Bailey hits the post... Akeson makes a nice move but Lindgren is equal to it...... Blunden takes a hit he passes out on the bench they called for the stretcher and the Doctors..... Thank God they were Not needed.... Blunden skates off on his own they are calling it a whiplash of the neck not expected to be out that long.....
Shots:
11-8 St. John's
After 2nd.
St. John's 0
Binghamton 1

3rd Period-2, St. John's, Eisenschmid 6 (Friberg, Brouillette), 17:55. Penalties-No Penalties Paul breaks his stick point shot rebound Eisenschmid out works Sieloff for the puck and beats Driedger to tie it up late... Off to OT.....
Shots:
12-9 St. John's
After 3rd. 1-1 tie.....
OT Period- No Scoring.Penalties-No Penalties Off to the SO we go...... Bailey ends it giving the Sens the bonus point...
Shots on Goal:
St. John's 12-11-12-2-0-37.
Binghamton 8-8-9-1-1-27.
Final
St. John's 1
Binghamton 2 SO

Three Stars:
1. BNG - C. Driedger
2. BNG - C. Bailey
3. BNG - C. Rumble

Driedger is the difference yet again to gain the win for the Senators.... KK has seemed to have turned this skill and talent challenged no depth team around.....

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Blunden* has a 0.52 PPG in the AHL

Rumble has a 0.56 PPG in the AHL. He is a rookie but was also producing in the ECHL

Sieloff was a 2nd round pick. He is a physical defensive D-man but he is not a "blockhead or face puncher", he was drafted to be a shutdown D-man

McCormick was a 0.85 PPG player in the NCAA and has a 0.44 PPG in the AHL in just above 2 years. He may be just a marginal player in the NHL but he is a decent player at the AHL level and more like a pest rather than a fighter

Lepine, I don't know much about him, fight cards suggest he does fight but he might be Bingo's 6th D-man so no big deal.

Conclusion : your statement was not in line with reality

My opinion is that this team was lacking proven producers but with Varone and Akeson back, it has been getting better. There was also several players under-performing, notably Kostka who seems to be having a very tough season.

Yeah, that's the thing. Lack of prove (skilled) producers. You wouldn't call any of the above players skilled. They are grinders, agitators, face punchers, block heads, etc. Whatever you want to call them, they are not paid for their high end skills like Akeson or Varone or Perron. Hell, even Paul is just a big guy with limited skill set. He could fall into the blockhead category. As I mentioned, Stortini being scratched and Akeson coming on board was a breath of fresh air for this team.

Troy Brouwer is a blockhead?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62527

0.97 PPG in the AHL
0.48 in the NHL, scored 17-25 goals for 7 years in a row...

Brouwer is not a high skill guy but he would look great on our 3rd line RW (even though his cap hit is too high)

And what do you mean "we have too many already"? Face punchers/blockheads? lol only Borowiecki and Neil fit the fighting bill and they each play the less on defense and forwards.

Yeah, I don't just mean fighters. I consider Smith, Phaneuf and Lazar in the same group. Although Smith is slowly going away from that. As you can see him less fighting and pest like. There is only so many you can have on the team before it bogs it down.

RE: Brouwer would look ok on the third line, but not at 4.5M for the next four years. I'd also like to get someone more skilled than him. Someone like Jagr. I think he fits much better. Brouwer is just a stupid suggestion.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, that's the thing. Lack of prove (skilled) producers. You wouldn't call any of the above players skilled. They are grinders, agitators, face punchers, block heads, etc. Whatever you want to call them, they are not paid for their high end skills like Akeson or Varone or Perron. Hell, even Paul is just a big guy with limited skill set. He could fall into the blockhead category. As I mentioned, Stortini being scratched and Akeson coming on board was a breath of fresh air for this team.

I don't think you know what blockhead means... It's literally an insult that means to say someone has low intelligence... But apparently, that kind of insult is totally permitted on HF... as long as you don't tell the same thing to another poster! Because let's assume that ALL those REAL people (or someone in their family) that we insult 24/7 don't have an account on HF... But anyway, I guess it would be ok to call somebody a freaking ****** just because he doesn't have an account on HF. It makes absolutely no sense :facepalm:

Anyway, back to the subject, you can't have 10 "high end skill guys" on a team. It's literally impossible mainly because of money. Blunden and McCormick are good players at the AHL level, not PPG players but you know what? There's very few PPG players to begin with (most of them are called up to the NHL in a minute). I don't know enough about Rumble but he seems to score at a good rate as an AHL rookie D-man for a "face puncher". Sieloff was a 2nd round pick and like I said, drafted high because of shutdown ability. It's like if you were saying Phaneuf and Methot are blockheads and face-punchers... which is totally ridiculous..

So like me and other posters tried to explain you (and if we leave out the insult), only Stortini and maybe Lepine fit the bill that you were talking about as "face-punchers". One is scratched constantly and the other might be the 6th D-man (we're not even sure he is in fact a face-puncher). I have no idea how stupid they are, because I don't know them personally, so I won't judge them as blockheads.

So why not just say that you were wrong and also used the "wrong words"? Your original quote was :

Too many blockheads and face punchers on that team.

Note : interesting note about Chris Rumble. His father is Darren Rumble, who played for the Ottawa Senators before.

Yeah, I don't just mean fighters. I consider Smith, Phaneuf and Lazar in the same group. Although Smith is slowly going away from that. As you can see him less fighting and pest like. There is only so many you can have on the team before it bogs it down.

RE: Brouwer would look ok on the third line, but not at 4.5M for the next four years. I'd also like to get someone more skilled than him. Someone like Jagr. I think he fits much better. Brouwer is just a stupid suggestion.

I don't know where to begin, but whatever, your views are just skewed. You are saying that adding Brouwer on the 3rd line (proven ~20 goal scorer EVERY year) is a stupid suggestion. I guess your statement is a lot more brilliant.

Also, i'm pretty sure that Smith, Phaneuf and Lazar are not low intelligence people when you hear them talk.

Bah whatever, what a mess this place is.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
[B said:
Mika Hoffmanijad[/B];126672375]can anyone comment on how many minutes perron gets a game and what line he is on?

"Mika Hoffmanijad":

Perron plays on the 3rd. line.......

The line is Perron-Nehring-Robinson................

As to how many minutes he gets a game I won't even try to guess about that.....

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm totally oblivious to doing lineups obviously, because I'd have one of the highest scoring wingers in the Q on one of the scoring lines...if Bingo has such a beast.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'm totally oblivious to doing lineups obviously, because I'd have one of the highest scoring wingers in the Q on one of the scoring lines...if Bingo has such a beast.

He's doing as well as Mark Stone did as anAHL rookie before stone went PPG in his last 20 or so

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The "earn your minutes crap" is exactly the way a good farm team should be run. Meritocracy, not preferential treatment.

The other side of the argument is he is being screwed out of a sick rookie year in the A, that could build confidence for his pro career. Veterans and Nick Paul who is having the same production (with more minutes) are being favoured ahead of him.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
From folks that get to watch more games than me, I've heard that the deployment in Bingo right now heavily favors vet guys who are know more for their grit over younger skill guys.

I can't confirm anything, but the phrase that stuck with me is that the coaching staff doesn't seem to like putting the young skill guys out in key situations.

This is all information by proxy, though.

I wish I could see more games for myself.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The other side of the argument is he is being screwed out of a sick rookie year in the A, that could build confidence for his pro career. Veterans and Nick Paul who is having the same production (with more minutes) are being favoured ahead of him.

And the flip side to that argument is that, if he hasn't "earned his minutes," then he's screwed himself out of the POTENTIAL for a sick rookie year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
could have had a sick rookie year if they didn't pull the earn your minutes crap on him.

That is absolute nonsense, we have no idea what he could or could not have done, it's all speculation but my guess is that an experienced coach like KK who has won a Caulder Cup knows exactly what he is doing with these guys & we should really leave it to the experts to decide what is best for these prospects. Placing him on a scoring role to soon in his career could also kill his confidence if he doesn't produce in that role & could ruin him. Look how many are now saying we rushed Ceci & Lazar. I mean, we just don't know everything as fans but the coach does & he is in the best position to make those decisions so we have no idea if Perron could have or would not have a sick rookie season, it's just hopeful speculation.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
And the flip side to that argument is that, if he hasn't "earned his minutes," then he's screwed himself out of the POTENTIAL for a sick rookie year.

but lets just flip the coin one more time, he is in the AHL to develop, he is what he is a scorer. There really is one position on the team he should be in and thats the top 6, in the top 6 he can develop into the player that he is suppose to be.

That is absolute nonsense, we have no idea what he could or could not have done, it's all speculation but my guess is that an experienced coach like KK who has won a Caulder Cup knows exactly what he is doing with these guys & we should really leave it to the experts to decide what is best for these prospects. Placing him on a scoring role to soon in his career could also kill his confidence if he doesn't produce in that role & could ruin him. Look how many are now saying we rushed Ceci & Lazar. I mean, we just don't know everything as fans but the coach does & he is in the best position to make those decisions so we have no idea if Perron could have or would not have a sick rookie season, it's just hopeful speculation.

I hate the "he won a cup" argument, he also failed to make the playoffs next season, lehner won that team the cup. Damn right he is a coach but if thats the way these boards worked we wouldn't be able to critique anyone because they all know way more than us right? If you want to bring up Lazar, everyone was saying he should have stayed in the AHL AND play first line minutes. Curtis Lazar never had to earn his minutes in the AHL. The reason lazar isn't performing as side from being a murray pick is because he never got to play much over the last couple of years on the ottawa roster killing his development time. (sound familiar?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad