Confirmed with Link: Bill Peters next head coach for Calgary

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Key tidbit that wasn't talked about in the presser: Mentioned they need to figure out if Bennett's a center or winger

Also talked about not being afraid to change things up to put players in positions to succeed if things aren't working, in direct contrast to the way GG insisted on players deferring to the system and playing their way out of funks.

Also hates stick penalties the most (i.e. Bennett and Hamilton will rein those in)

Andersson might also find his way on the 2nd PP unit

After listening to Brad Trevling and Bill Peters, what player trades do you guys see happening? Both the GM and the Head Coach want to play a fast game, other than Johnny we really don’t have fast players. I think major changes will be made to the roster this summer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, at this point, I just want to see a cup come back to Canada. Just for the novelty. It’s been so long it’s just downright sad.
I really don't understand that train of thought. Cheering for the asshole of Canada just because it's in Canada.....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
After listening to Brad Trevling and Bill Peters, what player trades do you guys see happening? Both the GM and the Head Coach want to play a fast game, other than Johnny we really don’t have fast players. I think major changes will be made to the roster this summer.
playing fast can be as simple as moving the puck quicker

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ok... I'm not a fan of hiring Bill Peters as head coach...

BUT, after listening to his interview on Fan960 I'm a lot more happier. I loved his responses to the questions asked. In fact I loved it so much I listened to the interview TWICE!

Bill Peters shares his thoughts on joining the Flames, Calgary's roster and his style of play - Sportsnet.ca

My comfort level has increase significantly. I like what he said. Fingers are crossed and hoping that Treliving finds the right assistant coaches and makes the right changes to the lineup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Calgary Bill Peters press conference made me sick as a Canes fan. Bill Peters has done NOTHING in the NHL. The spin in the press conference was mindblowing. Show me 1 player that has exceeded expectations under Peters.

K.

sebastian-aho-2018-979.jpg

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I really don't understand that train of thought. Cheering for the ******* of Canada just because it's in Canada.....

No kidding.

1) I would never cheer for any of the other Canadian teams during the regular season. Why would that change in the off season?

2) Hypothetically if another Canadian team won the cup, their fans would hang it over our heads.

3) I'm not going to crunch the numbers, but I'm sure there are just as much Canadians on American teams as there are Canadians on Canadian teams.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Now, for what it's worth guys, Gulutzan's introductory presser was much the same, at least from what I remember. I was vehemently opposed to his hiring; I was legitimately mad. His presser really made me optimistic, and I definitely was on board with him during his time here.

A great introductory presser does not a Stanley Cup contender make. Peters still has everything to prove.

Of course, everyone knows this.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No kidding.

1) I would never cheer for any of the other Canadian teams during the regular season. Why would that change in the off season?

2) Hypothetically if another Canadian team won the cup, their fans would hang it over our heads.

3) I'm not going to crunch the numbers, but I'm sure there are just as much Canadians on American teams as there are Canadians on Canadian teams.

Really wouldn't lose sleep with Winnipeg or Ottawa winning the cup.
Both have small fanbases and for the most part they've always been pretty good on this board. If it's going to be a team that's no Calgary, it can be one of those two and I'd be okay with it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Key tidbit that wasn't talked about in the presser: Mentioned they need to figure out if Bennett's a center or winger

Will be interesting to watch that space. He said the same things about Elias Lindholm and mainly kept him at RW (Lindholm still took a lot of faceoffs from the wing), even when it looked to many of us like Lindholm should be center. He moved Eric Staal to wing for a while as well that final season.

I'm not sure where Bennett belongs as I haven't seen him enough, but based on how he did things in Carolina, he tended to error on the side of sticking guys at wing if he wasn't sure.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Yup, everyone seems to have drank the Kool-Aid on a coach that's proven even less than Gulutzan when we had the chance to hire a two-time cup winner, or a guy (potentially two) who's put together deep runs on multiple occasions in the modern era. This is the exact same as picking Gulutzan over Boudreau - arguably worse, because we have more/better options than the summer we hired Gulutzan.

I am 100 percent a Peters fan now that the Flames are his team but this is a terrible hire and an example of Brad assuming he knows something nobody else does. Stop worrying about the style of hockey you want your coach to preach and start worrying about getting a coach that has made the playoffs.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I just wish a coach would come out once and say that he really values the input from the CF HF Boards posters and will be looking at moving Brouwer to the press box and keeping Bennett on the wing. All other suggestions are welcome. Also, that he agrees Monahan for Lindholm is a silly idea.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Calgary Bill Peters press conference made me sick as a Canes fan. Bill Peters has done NOTHING in the NHL. The spin in the press conference was mindblowing. Show me 1 player that has exceeded expectations under Peters. Eric Staal, Jordon Staal, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Marcus Kruger, Justin Faulk, Riley Nash,Ryan Murphy,Lee Stempniak, Chris Terry, Andre Nestrasil all underperformed under Peters. Some like Eric Staal, Riley Nash, and even Anton Khudobin have done great since leaving. Even Jeff Skinner hasn't exceeded expectation.

He has no clue how to handle goalies. Every year the Canes have 'upgraded' goaltending with players everyone thought were primed for a breakout year, he killed every one of them see
Khudobin, Lack, & Darling. Every preseason coverage is the same, the Canes upgraded in goal but each year seems to be worse with Cam Ward stuck trying to save the season. Do you really think Bill Peters is going to stabilize your goaltending? Show me something he's done since he coached in the WHL a decade ago to make you optimistic.

He has done nothing. It is crazy he was offered another job in the NHL while still having time left on his current contract. Enjoy your 90pt 2018-19 season. Good luck Flames, you are going to need it.

LOL That's life. It's their job to spin. What do you expect them to say? Bill is a loser but we got a championship team here so his job is going to be easier?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The Calgary Bill Peters press conference made me sick as a Canes fan. Bill Peters has done NOTHING in the NHL. The spin in the press conference was mindblowing. Show me 1 player that has exceeded expectations under Peters. Eric Staal, Jordon Staal, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Marcus Kruger, Justin Faulk, Riley Nash,Ryan Murphy,Lee Stempniak, Chris Terry, Andre Nestrasil all underperformed under Peters. Some like Eric Staal, Riley Nash, and even Anton Khudobin have done great since leaving. Even Jeff Skinner hasn't exceeded expectation.

He has no clue how to handle goalies. Every year the Canes have 'upgraded' goaltending with players everyone thought were primed for a breakout year, he killed every one of them see
Khudobin, Lack, & Darling. Every preseason coverage is the same, the Canes upgraded in goal but each year seems to be worse with Cam Ward stuck trying to save the season. Do you really think Bill Peters is going to stabilize your goaltending? Show me something he's done since he coached in the WHL a decade ago to make you optimistic.

He has done nothing. It is crazy he was offered another job in the NHL while still having time left on his current contract. Enjoy your 90pt 2018-19 season. Good luck Flames, you are going to need it.

I know it’s early but I am thinking Bill Peters might be the best coach the Flames have ever had.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I like the hiring. But I'm not too confident because it's often unclear how different head coaches are from one another. It could've been worse I guess.

More important than upgrading head coach is fixing that forward group. And luck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad