Confirmed with Link: Bill Peters next head coach for Calgary

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Not a fan and frankly, I feel this was another mistake by Tre. So much bs around experience in the league. Well, at this point there is nothing that will change so hopefully, he proves me wrong.

At least his leash will be the shortest because if we miss the playoffs again both Tre and his coach will be done next year.

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One thing I will say is, Treliving said he doesn’t make moves to be safe. He makes moves that believes in to make the team the best it can be. He tied his job to his hire. FWIW, I think he did the right thing.

Reactions: King In The North

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Calgary Bill Peters press conference made me sick as a Canes fan. Bill Peters has done NOTHING in the NHL. The spin in the press conference was mindblowing. Show me 1 player that has exceeded expectations under Peters. Eric Staal, Jordon Staal, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Marcus Kruger, Justin Faulk, Riley Nash,Ryan Murphy,Lee Stempniak, Chris Terry, Andre Nestrasil all underperformed under Peters. Some like Eric Staal, Riley Nash, and even Anton Khudobin have done great since leaving. Even Jeff Skinner hasn't exceeded expectation.

He has no clue how to handle goalies. Every year the Canes have 'upgraded' goaltending with players everyone thought were primed for a breakout year, he killed every one of them see
Khudobin, Lack, & Darling. Every preseason coverage is the same, the Canes upgraded in goal but each year seems to be worse with Cam Ward stuck trying to save the season. Do you really think Bill Peters is going to stabilize your goaltending? Show me something he's done since he coached in the WHL a decade ago to make you optimistic.

He has done nothing. It is crazy he was offered another job in the NHL while still having time left on his current contract. Enjoy your 90pt 2018-19 season. Good luck Flames, you are going to need it.

I see your side to it...

but he seemed to suggest he might try Brodie on the right side.

We are winning the cup

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What are the odds Peters hires a guy named Glen Gulutzan as an assistant?

Also anyone else notice Peters thanked the Flames owners, Ken King and Treliving, and not a single mention of Burke?

Burke was also not present at the coach firing presser. Interesting..

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
2017%20ParadeRouteMap.jpg

So this is the route used by the Stampede parade, which is a pretty big deal of course. But for the Cup, do we think it should be a bit longer? Would probably be good to bring it by the Saddledome.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Why can't we hire a coach who is a proven winner? I hope Treliving is let go if this mediocrity of a hockey team continues to perform the same next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why can't we hire a coach who is a proven winner? I hope Treliving is let go if this mediocrity of a hockey team continues to perform the same next year.
If the Penguins had gone the experienced route, they wouldn't have hired Mike Sullivan and might not have 2 more Cups. And, the Sabres went with an experienced "proven winner" with Bylsma and became a joke of a franchise.

Aug 3, 2010
The posters saying "Treliving is next to go if it doesn't work, Treliving made a mistake, etc." - what is the point? Treliving clearly knows that his job is tied to the coaching hires he's made. I'm not saying that they've been solid or even my own preferred choices, but it's not like he thinks he's immune to the results of his hires. It's such a non-contribution.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What are the odds Peters hires a guy named Glen Gulutzan as an assistant?

Also anyone else notice Peters thanked the Flames owners, Ken King and Treliving, and not a single mention of Burke?

Burke was also not present at the coach firing presser. Interesting..

I feel like this applies pretty well to Brian Burke in Calgary

e598f076eeebcbef9109758e23a6064053df405db2cc7438f191b0a20dbbb80b.jpg
I don't know 100% for sure, but I would assume Burke is doing some work for USA hockey at the moment.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Before he got fired, I didn't think it would have been a terrible idea if he took a step back and took on a smaller coaching role, like Playfair did when Keenan came on board.
I had the same thoughts to be honest. But my money is on one of Huska or Smith being in charge of the D and I still have no idea about the forwards and PP, but Marco Sturm seems like an interesting choice.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

The best we can do is be cautiously optimistic, I would also have preferred a winning veteran coach. I could not buy too much into the press confernce and the other interviews with Peters because GG was the same way.

Having said that, we should give him a chance to see what he can do.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Peters' talk about offensive pairs, as well as his questioning whether Bennett is a LW or C makes me wonder whether we'll see Tkachuk - Bennett for an extended stretch this season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@Volica In the interview on the Big Show, Peters brought up Stone, mentioned that he "solidifies the 3 pair"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like how he talks about putting players in a position to succeed. Said if they have a weakness, not to put them in a situation that they would fail.

He also said something I have been preaching for years. Aggression penalties are okay, but ones in teh offensive zone, reaching, hooking, tripping... etc are not. Now let's see if he can reign in a few of our guys because we took too many penalties like that.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
One thing I will say is, Treliving said he doesn’t make moves to be safe. He makes moves that believes in to make the team the best it can be. He tied his job to his hire. FWIW, I think he did the right thing.

What is so unsafe about this? No matter who he picks, his job is on the line if the Flames dont make the playoff again.

Maybe you meant he bet on a guy that never made the playoff?

Sep 13, 2009
Poor bastard. I don't know whether to congratulate him or feel sorry for him. :dunno: Calgary has long been a coaching graveyard. He may never coach in the NHL again.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Two years ago I said the Pens were impressed with the Flames. Thought they were one of the better teams they played. No question they have under performed. IDK if it is coaching, speed, bad fits, goal tending but Flames need to get an identity, need some speed and get the D playing up to those contracts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Two years ago I said the Pens were impressed with the Flames. Thought they were one of the better teams they played. No question they have under performed. IDK if it is coaching, speed, bad fits, goal tending but Flames need to get an identity, need some speed and get the D playing up to those contracts.
1) it was not goaltending
2) the defense played very well overall
3)the problem is secondary scoring and the PP

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
2017%20ParadeRouteMap.jpg

So this is the route used by the Stampede parade, which is a pretty big deal of course. But for the Cup, do we think it should be a bit longer? Would probably be good to bring it by the Saddledome.
No, last time they ended at Olympic Plaza. That allowed the players / coaches / etc. to thank the fans, show off the hardware, and so on. There's not really a good venue in Stampede Park for that, but there are options I suppose (grandstand).

I would have the route go from the Saddledome to Olympic Plaza.

Mind you, Bill Peters is also bringing his tool belt, so expect an announcement that construction of the new arena will start soon. /s Perhaps the route will be altered after they finish construction, so they can anoint the new building at the same time?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00