OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The movie could have been good if they let Batman vs Superman stand as it's own story. But forcing Doomsday in really really hurt that movie. And Lex sucked, which is just unacceptable for such a great and important character.

Maybe the ultimate edition is a better movie. But that's not the movie they showed people. And at this point I'm not spending money to see a different version of a movie that I already didn't like. It's not an awful movie, but it ranks with the bottom tier of Marvel imo. Maybe above Hulk and Thor 2, but right there with the Iron Man sequels. It's above things like Suicide Squad, Justice League, Fantastic Four, and XMen Apocalypse/Last stand, but that's not really an accomplishment.

I should have read this post before I responded because the bolded is a big, BIG reason I loathed that film.

I'm not sure who boils my blood more: Tom Wilson or Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
An Oakland and Pitt icon Peters Pub is closing after today, it's a madhouse there right now. I was planning on going in like an hour, but I may pass on it because it's overflowing with people. People are drinking in the streets in front of Peters right now :laugh:

The last time I was there, there was a bunch of beer and liquid spilled around the top of the stairs. I then fell down the stairs, but barely lost any of my beer. Hooray me.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just figured I'd put it out there that I changed my name again (previously Polaris Polestar).

Stuck with this for a year, let's hope I don't regret it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The last time I was there, there was a bunch of beer and liquid spilled around the top of the stairs. I then fell down the stairs, but barely lost any of my beer. Hooray me.

Yeah that's basically Peters. I already left because of how garbage it was. They lied about the half priced beer, they had nothing in stock and there were a million people there. I've always hated Peters and this sealed it for me. Good riddance it's closing. I paid $9 for 2 Miller high life, broke the bottles on the floor when I finished and walked out.

Gdoor is so much better, I'm glad it's my favorite bar in Oakland. I actually respect that bar :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Eisenberg's casting is something I can ignore, I mean there are a lot of things in both DC and Marvel that are equally moronic that I can drone on and on about. But yeah that casting made zero sense partly because he doesn't look the right age group for the other stars of the film. They should have cast a more mature actor for it, someone with some very good acting chops. Jesse plays the sad sack down on his luck stuff very well, he even did a sleeper agent movie and if anything, it was hilarious unintentionally because him as a bad ass is just not something anyone can really believe.

But I didn't think that was enough for me to say it was a bad movie. I'd rather some annoyances like that, than constantly having super tough bad guys easily and comically defeated with no repercussions and then a mass culling that will 95% be undone in the next part to a movie.

That's WWE level of story telling bad for me.

But like the masses that keep going, I will keep going to see them. Why?

Because I am also an idiot that just can't help but watch a comic book adapted movie.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Eisenberg's casting is something I can ignore, I mean there are a lot of things in both DC and Marvel that are equally moronic that I can drone on and on about. But yeah that casting made zero sense partly because he doesn't look the right age group for the other stars of the film. They should have cast a more mature actor for it, someone with some very good acting chops. Jesse plays the sad sack down on his luck stuff very well, he even did a sleeper agent movie and if anything, it was hilarious unintentionally because him as a bad ass is just not something anyone can really believe.

But I didn't think that was enough for me to say it was a bad movie. I'd rather some annoyances like that, than constantly having super tough bad guys easily and comically defeated with no repercussions and then a mass culling that will 95% be undone in the next part to a movie.

But like the masses that keep going, I will keep going to see them. Why?

Because I am also an idiot that just can't help but watch a comic book adapted movie.

Eisenberg's best performance is in "The Double", where he has to play his own doppelganger.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Eisenberg's best performance is in "The Double", where he has to play his own doppelganger.

I thought he peaked in Social Network and Zombieland, after that I really didn't care to see less weird Michael Cera in any more movies, but here we are, he's still being cast.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought he peaked in Social Network and Zombieland, after that I really didn't care to see less weird Michael Cera in any more movies, but here we are, he's still being cast.
Those are definitely his two best roles that I've seen. He's one of those actors who is really good at one type of guy, but really doesn't have any range.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

What kind of repercussions do you expect in these movies? They are action blockbusters, not high drama. I mean, they have the same level of repercussions as their source material. You can't just cull the entire main cast long term. I dunno, it just feels like wanting repercussions in a Bond movie. It's just not that kind of movie/series.

Though I will say as far as a lack of repercussions go, I wish there was at least one movie where Cap and crew being gone was relevant for more than 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Jumping on the Gaiman train, I’d suggest you guys/gals give Neverwhere, Stardust and Coraline (especially the movie) a chance as well. Also looking forward to the Good Omens adaptation!

Reactions: DegenX

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
BvS and MoS are good movies

This place needs to be closed down for this, and Martha was defended. Burn it down.

MoS is a fine movie if it wasn’t about Superman, imo. Not great or anything but fine... it was just about Superman and did a really bad job of that.

BvS is not a good movie and Marvel has nothing to do with it. Bloated, poorly paced, brutal casting of the villain, struggles with characterization again, needing a comical deus ex machina to stop a fight (bizarrely when Lois was right there to use for a humanizing moment), an obscured final fight scene, etc. Some ugly similarities with Spider-Man 3 trying to cram 2 movies into 1.

Maybe above Hulk and Thor 2, but right there with the Iron Man sequels. It's above things like Suicide Squad, Justice League, Fantastic Four, and XMen Apocalypse/Last stand, but that's not really an accomplishment.

I’d say Hulk tier. Below Thor 2 and for as much as I’ve complained about the Iron Man sequels they’re comfortably a level above BvS. It’s still the 3rd best DCEU movie and better than assorted crap.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah that's basically Peters. I already left because of how garbage it was. They lied about the half priced beer, they had nothing in stock and there were a million people there. I've always hated Peters and this sealed it for me. Good riddance it's closing. I paid $9 for 2 Miller high life, broke the bottles on the floor when I finished and walked out.

Gdoor is so much better, I'm glad it's my favorite bar in Oakland. I actually respect that bar :laugh:

I've got a feeling that Peter's closed because too many people fell down those stairs. Just like Bloomfield Bridge Tavern. And that's probably why Sienna Mercato only let's you take the elevator to the third floor.

No love for Wonder Woman yet?

I'm hosting a party at my apartment this evening. Halfway to Thanksgiving. There'll be turkey, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, gravy, and beer. Be very jealous.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Speaking of disappointing endings, I finally got around to finishing Far Cry 5. Wow.

I was already annoyed by how they'd force you into the main story mission once you reached a certain level in a region, instead of just letting you do what you were doing. But then the ending comes along and I'm like, what was the point? Literally nothing I did makes a lick of good.

The Far Cry series has never been lauded for its main story. But I think Far Cry 5 takes the cake for just how much they actually force it down your (the player) throat.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This place needs to be closed down for this, and Martha was defended. Burn it down.

MoS is a fine movie if it wasn’t about Superman, imo. Not great or anything but fine... it was just about Superman and did a really bad job of that.

BvS is not a good movie and Marvel has nothing to do with it. Bloated, poorly paced, brutal casting of the villain, struggles with characterization again, needing a comical deus ex machina to stop a fight (bizarrely when Lois was right there to use for a humanizing moment), an obscured final fight scene, etc. Some ugly similarities with Spider-Man 3 trying to cram 2 movies into 1.

I’d say Hulk tier. Below Thor 2 and for as much as I’ve complained about the Iron Man sequels they’re comfortably a level above BvS. It’s still the 3rd best DCEU movie and better than assorted crap.
You're dead to me.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh

Meh, I was always a Hem's and Gdoor guy. Then you still had Pcafe, Madmex, and Fuel and Fuddle that I would generally choose before Peters.

Sad to see a long running bar close none the less. I heard Mario's is taking its spot. I haven't ever been to the Shadyside location since it switched over from Doc's Place, so I don't know how it is compared to the one in the Southside.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Meh, I was always a Hem's and Gdoor guy. Then you still had Pcafe, Madmex, and Fuel and Fuddle that I would generally choose before Peters.

Sad to see a long running bar close none the less. I heard Mario's is taking its spot. I haven't ever been to the Shadyside location since it switched over from Doc's Place, so I don't know how it is compared to the one in the Southside.
I love fuel and fuddle. I haven't been there I'm a good decade though. They had the best meat loaf sandwich with mashed potatoes with some soaked in gravy inside. So good. Hemingway's was very solid too. I only lived in Oakland for a 10 week summer program, bit those two places were my favorites. Well them and Joe mamas (RIP). Mangia Monday was the best thing for a poor college kid.

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Had to go to VA Beach for work.

Taking a return flight home now.

Norfolk airport is the worst for how small it is.

I got thru screening at MCO faster than ORF, and I had about 30 people in front of me at MCO and 4 in ORF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad