OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Anyone catch American Gods? I like Neil Gaiman, and I liked the books, just not sure if the series is worth the effort it would require to watch it.

Always meant to read the book and am finally about halfway through it. Won't watch the series until I finish reading through because I am that guy. Heard nothing but great things about it.

Is Anansi Boys related to American Gods? I know Anansi is in AG but not sure if the other book is related in any way past that.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I rank Rogue One above The Force Awakens. I've only seen The Last Jedi twice, so I'm not sure where to rank it yet. And Solo I only just saw 12 hours ago.

I'd probably see Solo in theaters again.

Speaking of Neil Gaiman, is a Good Omens adaptation finally being made?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I rank Rogue One above The Force Awakens. I've only seen The Last Jedi twice, so I'm not sure where to rank it yet. And Solo I only just saw 12 hours ago.

I'd probably see Solo in theaters again.

agree with R1 above TFA. TLJ is strange because I think half of it is mediocre at best, but I absolutely love the Jedi focused half of the movie.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Yes!! It's going to be on Amazon Prime and the casting gives me great hope.

Michael Sheen as Azirophale? Good. David Tennant as Crowley? VERY good. Underrated awesome though is that they got David St Hubbins himself, Michael McKean, to play Shadwell.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
@DegenX

My only suggestion is, if you have the weekend and jack all to do, binge watch the entire thing. You do not want to watch, then wait. Watch it all like a netflix peasant that we all are, binge the crap out of it.

It's funny, but I'm not really much of a TV watcher. Partly because so few shows actually interest me, partly because hockey takes up so much potential viewing time, and partly because I just forget about shows that do sound interesting. So summer and no hockey is usually when I make up for all the TV I didn't watch ... binging is just how I roll :)

Always meant to read the book and am finally about halfway through it. Won't watch the series until I finish reading through because I am that guy. Heard nothing but great things about it.

Is Anansi Boys related to American Gods? I know Anansi is in AG but not sure if the other book is related in any way past that.

Anansi Boys is related to but not a sequel of American Gods. They share a character

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
That's what I figured, thanks.

I really need to catch up on my Gaiman. I can read Good Omens 6 times a year and not get sick of it and I read Stardust way back when but I need to finish AG post haste and go from there. I'm interested in his version of Norse Mythology. Gotta be a bit easier on the eyes than attempting the Prose Edda, right?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
That's what I figured, thanks.

I really need to catch up on my Gaiman. I can read Good Omens 6 times a year and not get sick of it and I read Stardust way back when but I need to finish AG post haste and go from there. I'm interested in his version of Norse Mythology. Gotta be a bit easier on the eyes than attempting the Prose Edda, right?
Maybe it was the short story format, but I thought Norse Mythology was kind of forgettable. Not that it was bad, by any means, but I think it would have worked better as a graphic novel.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's funny, but I'm not really much of a TV watcher. Partly because so few shows actually interest me, partly because hockey takes up so much potential viewing time, and partly because I just forget about shows that do sound interesting. So summer and no hockey is usually when I make up for all the TV I didn't watch ... binging is just how I roll :)

Anansi Boys is related to but not a sequel of American Gods. They share a character

Yeah it's "canon" but sort of, not really.

Did you read Good Omens as well?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^^^ I want to see Solo, as well, but this weather is too damn good to sit in a threatre. And I 10000000% agree about over thinking movies. Honestly I think it's better to stay away from all comments, watch it yourself, give your honest opinion about it and then see where everyone else is. I swear to God most people find flaws and then rip it simply because they don't want it to be good.

First rainy day - i'm going to check this flick out. And i've enjoyed them all. I'm not even a movie fan and these Star Wars movies are incredible, IMO.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Car is going, pile of f***ing shit. Going to be down about 1-2 grand tomorrow but it is for the best overall. Kills the trip to Pittsburgh next season for now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
First rainy day - i'm going to check this flick out. And i've enjoyed them all. I'm not even a movie fan and these Star Wars movies are incredible, IMO.

I agree. I think some folks who are really disappointed in them are that way because of expectations. I don't think they're trying to re-invent the wheel, just sort of replicate what made the original trilogy so nice. In that regards, I think they succeeded and it's why I enjoy them.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
^^^^ I want to see Solo, as well, but this weather is too damn good to sit in a threatre. And I 10000000% agree about over thinking movies. Honestly I think it's better to stay away from all comments, watch it yourself, give your honest opinion about it and then see where everyone else is. I swear to God most people find flaws and then rip it simply because they don't want it to be good.

I swear people do this to DC movies, although JL is trash, BvS and MoS are good movies, people hate it because they compare it to Marvel, which is wrong.

That's like comparing a comedy to a drama and saying the drama isn't funny. No shit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I swear people do this to DC movies, although JL is trash, BvS and MoS are good movies, people hate it because they compare it to Marvel, which is wrong.

That's like comparing a comedy to a drama and saying the drama isn't funny. No ****.
Batman is pretty much my favorite character ever, but BvS is not a good movie.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
BvS is not a good movie.
It isn't a bad movie either, people nit pick the whole "Martha" thing without really understanding that Batman thinks he's fighting a person that doesn't value human life and is just an alien that could turn on humanity, he didn't expect first his mother's name being uttered and that the "alien" has a mother, it humanized someone he thought to be an enemy.

The only terrible thing about the movie is that people never saw the Ultimate Edition of it and that Doomsday was thrown in there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It isn't a bad movie either, people nit pick the whole "Martha" thing without really understanding that Batman thinks he's fighting a person that doesn't value human life and is just an alien that could turn on humanity, he didn't expect first his mother's name being uttered and that the "alien" has a mother, it humanized someone he thought to be an enemy.

The only terrible thing about the movie is that people never saw the Ultimate Edition of it and that Doomsday was thrown in there.
The movie could have been good if they let Batman vs Superman stand as it's own story. But forcing Doomsday in really really hurt that movie. And Lex sucked, which is just unacceptable for such a great and important character.

Maybe the ultimate edition is a better movie. But that's not the movie they showed people. And at this point I'm not spending money to see a different version of a movie that I already didn't like. It's not an awful movie, but it ranks with the bottom tier of Marvel imo. Maybe above Hulk and Thor 2, but right there with the Iron Man sequels. It's above things like Suicide Squad, Justice League, Fantastic Four, and XMen Apocalypse/Last stand, but that's not really an accomplishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Going back to Gaiman, what was the name of the short story collection where he did a follow-up about Shadow (from American Gods) and revealed his true identity?

I never bothered to pick that one up, but I think maybe I should look for it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
An Oakland and Pitt icon Peters Pub is closing after today, it's a madhouse there right now. I was planning on going in like an hour, but I may pass on it because it's overflowing with people. People are drinking in the streets in front of Peters right now :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's like comparing a comedy to a drama and saying the drama isn't funny. No ****.

I actually hated Batman Vs. Superman, but probably not for the same reason a lot of people disliked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad