OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I was never really one for breakfast after the age of 12 or so. It just made me feel too lethargic and I had a difficult time concentrating at school.

I always ate lunch and dinner though. But around 5 years ago (when I was 35 or so) I stopped eating lunch during the work-week because I started to feel that same lethargy. So I just ate dinner.

I ate and eat whatever I want now for my dinner. I do cardio 4x a week and some weight training 2-3 times a week.

My numbers have never been better in relation to BP, RHR, BG, and whatever else they measure at the doctors office.

On some weekends I cheat and eat a big hearty breakfast or lunch, and I still drink like a fish on my Friday nights.

I'm 41 now and feel better than I did when I was 25. I still get asked for identification when I buy beer. It makes my wife really angry, lol.

Stop eating so much people. Losing weight starts in the kitchen. You can't exercise your way out of over-eating, and everyone needs to give their digestive system a break.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was always a fit guy mostly because of the sports I grew up playing and then just never wanting to stop that part of my life because it was the only constant, the only place I felt I could be me was at the gym and when I ran in the mornings (not so much of the running now I am older).

But one of the best things that has also aided me as I got older was ailments, funny enough. Gout, Celiac, Lactose Intolerancy, Peanut allergy, Shellfish allergy...these all cut out so much that I would have went to if I did want to get complacent.

Being healthy isn't boring. I think if you want to be around a while and not feel miserable because of the weight, the damage it's done to your body by being unhealthy, is the way I want to go. My late grandfather passed a few years back that was a heavy smoker, didn't exercise and was just struggling the last 15yrs of his life. I never want to go out like that.

I would rather prolong my life, feel good, and if I go, it'll be because I just got too damn old and my heart gave out.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Guys, plateauing is a real thing, its not just something us Gym rats talk about in annoyance. It's a legitimate thing. That means your body needs to change things up, start looking at new workouts.

I will never not recommend Athlean-X as a bible for your workout needs and understand as well as bodybuilding.com to learn about new workout programs and how to do them correctly goes hand in hand with their videos and if you want a deeper explanation, google it in youtube under Athlean-X's video's.

Godspeed my moobie'd friends.
I'll see what happens. Down 80 lbs doing what I'm doing and haven't had an issue yet. Once I get under 200 I'll probably start focusing more on strength and fitness more than strict weight loss, so I'll start varying things a lot more at that point.

That said, I have no idea what athlean X is but I'll check it out tomorrow.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll see what happens. Down 80 lbs doing what I'm doing and haven't had an issue yet. Once I get under 200 I'll probably start focusing more on strength and fitness more than strict weight loss, so I'll start varying things a lot more at that point.

That said, I have no idea what athlean X is but I'll check it out tomorrow.

Check out a video on youtube, dude is fantastic for beginners. It's what I recommend to people when they ask me for help and I hate helping people at the gym, I used to do it to pay my way through school, I hate helping them for free, lol.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just mapped out my long route throughout the east part of the city and I realized my pedometer actually underestimates the distance I go by a little. It's not a big difference, it said I went 19.9 miles but I actually went 20.4, but it's nice to know that it's pretty accurate. 20 miles looks intimidating, but I don't think it's a bad ride. The worst part of my ride is going up Wilkins Avenue towards Squirrel Hill from Point Breeze, but that's mostly because it's uphill for like half a mile straight. That doesn't seem like much, but when basically everything else on your ride is either short downhill/uphill or flat, it's really tough :laugh:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Check out a video on youtube, dude is fantastic for beginners. It's what I recommend to people when they ask me for help and I hate helping people at the gym, I used to do it to pay my way through school, I hate helping them for free, lol.
I have been watching tons of Athlean-X videos the past several months, they are incredible. I don't have his program, mainly because he puts so much free information out there on youtube. He covers everything, from nutrition, building muscle, recovery, and doing so in a safe and healthy way.

I used to work out at home (mainly bodyweight exercises and barbells) and run but I always hit a wall, would tweak something/ get an injury and then fall out of it. Well for the past couple of years I got super busy and used that as an excuse, I gained almost 20lbs (I'm not a big guy, only 5'7" so that's a lot for me) and felt like absolute crap. I had a nice fitted suit I wanted to wear on my anniversary in January and it was super tight on me, I had enough. I started eating clean again (cleaner than I ever have, not even any birthday cake for me) and working out 6x a week, mainly strength training with some HIIT thrown in. I was never really smart about how I worked out before, which when I was 20 I could get away with but now that I'm 32, those bad habits were catching up to me. From watching some athlean-x videos I learned a lot of what to do, as well as what NOT to do. My shoulders especially are thankful for it. I'm still very much a beginner so I need all the help I can get. I'd definitely recommend his videos to anyone looking to get into shape (or into better shape).

Long story short, in about 5 months I've dropped 20lbs while building significant muscle and I look better than I ever have. I also deal with a permanent back injury but the strength I've built back up in my core has greatly reduced the amount of pain I deal with on a regular basis. I can do Bruce Lee's dragon flags for crying out loud, when I was told by a doctor 10 years ago I could never lift weights again and I should get a desk job.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guys, plateauing is a real thing, its not just something us Gym rats talk about in annoyance. It's a legitimate thing. That means your body needs to change things up, start looking at new workouts.

I will never not recommend Athlean-X as a bible for your workout needs and understand as well as bodybuilding.com to learn about new workout programs and how to do them correctly goes hand in hand with their videos and if you want a deeper explanation, google it in youtube under Athlean-X's video's.

Godspeed my moobie'd friends.

I'm laughing because I was literally just watching a few videos myself. I didn't know anyone else here followed. It's imperative to not take it as the only way, but any time science is backed with workout/diet/etc, it's worth noting and building your workout/diet plan. So i try to note some things and switch my own up.

There are soooo many ways to be healthy, fit, and better your journey. It's important to not get caught up in all the fads but definitely take some science into play. Then build what works for you, realistically, and go from there. I LITERALLY just had a week where I felt so annoyed by my progress as of late. I stopped, took time to build an 8 week new program to revitalize my hunger in fitness, took tons of notes, and now 2 weeks later I am feeling like a million bucks, stronger and in better shape than ever before. No less than 2-3 weeks after a plateau moment.

I showed this in the wrestling forum, but Sheamus (WWE wrestler) is doing an incredible youtube weekly workout showing other wrestler's workouts and struggling to go through them as they are different. It's okay to struggle. It's okay to not be great at everything. Seeing a guy that looks like Sheamus struggle really put me back on a positive mentality to dig deep through a plateau.

Celtic Warrior Workouts

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
McDavid just interviewed on tennis channel. He's there supporting Shap. That was really cool.

As a classic hockey guy said he didn't care who won between caps and vegas lol.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@ColePens @Honour Over Glory So if I'm basically looking to continue not being fat instead of looking for gains, is Athleans for me? Because at a glance, it looks pretty intense and focused on things I am really not looking for. I basically want to comfortably play casual adult rec sports. Is there still good stuff in there for me?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@ColePens @Honour Over Glory So if I'm basically looking to continue not being fat instead of looking for gains, is Athleans for me? Because at a glance, it looks pretty intense and focused on things I am really not looking for. I basically want to comfortably play casual adult rec sports. Is there still good stuff in there for me?

I think the #1 myth in all of working out is "I must do cardio for fat loss". For example jogging really is just putting a ton of pressure on your joints and is not needed. If you are just looking to lose weight, you can do that by simply walking and eating healthy. If you are looking to burn fat, you should do sprints. If you are solely just looking to drop weight and don't care about muscle or anything, it's simply walking and dieting. You don't need much more.

If you want some muscle, functionality, etc - burning fat will happen from adding muscle and lifting, too. But if you don't want to lift AT ALL and just simply lose weight, then I suggest simply walking and eating healthy. You will get enough. Add sprints in 2 days a week and you will be totally fine. Do simple things like push ups and some core workouts you see in these videos. You will be just fine. Don't go all in or you will give it up too easily.

IF you are going for functionality, fat burn, and want to build some muscle - i recommend some lifting and HIIT. When you lift, build muscle 6-8 reps. It will continue fat burn. Don't believe the myth that you will "bulk up" because you won't.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ok, 10 seconds in to one of those YT and yeah, nope. Do not like that body, yuk yuk yuk.
And that's fair. Everyone has a different fitness journey they want. For your arms, knee pushups or full push ups will target a lot of that strengthening the tri. Plank shoulder taps are also something you can do. Knee or full.

One of the best things about them is functionality. I'm 32 now and my joints feel like they are still 18-20. I have zero pain. I can literally wake up in the morning and jump out of bed. I can go down to my knees and nothing pops or feels funny. So that style of training is very very very important, IMO. I hear too many people struggling with that type of stuff at young ages. As we get older, the joints get tighter and it's up to us to train and protect them as long as we can. Especially those of us with sedentary jobs.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Over muscular bodies, I'll never see the appeal. Tennis players have nice bodies, always a highlight from the summer tournaments, shirtless practice sessions.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
And that's fair. Everyone has a different fitness journey they want. For your arms, knee pushups or full push ups will target a lot of that strengthening the tri. Plank shoulder taps are also something you can do. Knee or full.

One of the best things about them is functionality. I'm 32 now and my joints feel like they are still 18-20. I have zero pain. I can literally wake up in the morning and jump out of bed. I can go down to my knees and nothing pops or feels funny. So that style of training is very very very important, IMO. I hear too many people struggling with that type of stuff at young ages. As we get older, the joints get tighter and it's up to us to train and protect them as long as we can. Especially those of us with sedentary jobs.
Well my knees are already f***ed,especially the left from two previous ligament tears and surgeries :( Everytime I see or hear the word "plank" I run away :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@ColePens Yeah workouts should be tailored to your body and what you want to achieve which is why I suggest to newbies, to see Athlean X to see form and the "why's" and then I suggest bodybuilding.com to see various workouts for your body (arms, legs, chest, etc) and they have good beginner programs that you can use and then tailor yourself.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Ok, 10 seconds in to one of those YT and yeah, nope. Do not like that body, yuk yuk yuk.
Try Blogilates. She has a lot of short videos, and she also has a calendar you can print out that gives you a routine for every day, including a rest day. It's pilates, which is basically fast yoga. She's annoyingly perky, but she has a ton of target videos that usually don't require any equipment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is horrible outside right now in Pittsburgh. I made the mistake of biking to the gym, it's way too hot outside to do that. I felt more gassed today after 10 miles than I felt last night after 20, just because it feels like 95 degrees outside.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the #1 myth in all of working out is "I must do cardio for fat loss". For example jogging really is just putting a ton of pressure on your joints and is not needed. If you are just looking to lose weight, you can do that by simply walking and eating healthy. If you are looking to burn fat, you should do sprints. If you are solely just looking to drop weight and don't care about muscle or anything, it's simply walking and dieting. You don't need much more.

If you want some muscle, functionality, etc - burning fat will happen from adding muscle and lifting, too. But if you don't want to lift AT ALL and just simply lose weight, then I suggest simply walking and eating healthy. You will get enough. Add sprints in 2 days a week and you will be totally fine. Do simple things like push ups and some core workouts you see in these videos. You will be just fine. Don't go all in or you will give it up too easily.

IF you are going for functionality, fat burn, and want to build some muscle - i recommend some lifting and HIIT. When you lift, build muscle 6-8 reps. It will continue fat burn. Don't believe the myth that you will "bulk up" because you won't.
well like I said, I do play sports. Cardio is pretty important for that. I alternate distance and sprint/walk intervals. I'll probably add in some lifting/bodyweight stuff, but nothing too crazy. And I wasn't trying to dismiss those videos or anything. I'm legitimately asking if there's stuff in there for relatively laid back fitness goals.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
well like I said, I do play sports. Cardio is pretty important for that. I alternate distance and sprint/walk intervals. I'll probably add in some lifting/bodyweight stuff, but nothing too crazy.

I can't stress it enough and I'm sure @Honour Over Glory agrees. Do a lot of research on the idea of cardio and fat burn. You will be insanely shocked with how little cardio will do overall. Especially jogging or running for distance. That will just crush your joints. If you are looking to improve your joints and want functionality, a lot of that comes with HIIT, training, etc.

Now there are basic circuits you can do at your own house. 5 rounds of:
- 30 seconds pushups
- 30 seconds burpees
- 30 seconds mountain climbers
- 30 seconds squats
- 30 seconds lunges

12.5 minute circuit that can add a lot to functionality. Then go for a walk when it's done. That will make you better for sports. Much much much better than jogging. But the science behind how to build functionality really shocked me. I was doing waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much cardio when i didn't have to and the results have just changed drastically since i researched science.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't stress it enough and I'm sure @Honour Over Glory agrees. Do a lot of research on the idea of cardio and fat burn. You will be insanely shocked with how little cardio will do overall. Especially jogging or running for distance. That will just crush your joints. If you are looking to improve your joints and want functionality, a lot of that comes with HIIT, training, etc.

Now there are basic circuits you can do at your own house. 5 rounds of:
- 30 seconds pushups
- 30 seconds burpees
- 30 seconds mountain climbers
- 30 seconds squats
- 30 seconds lunges

12.5 minute circuit that can add a lot to functionality. Then go for a walk when it's done. That will make you better for sports. Much much much better than jogging. But the science behind how to build functionality really shocked me. I was doing waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much cardio when i didn't have to and the results have just changed drastically since i researched science.
well again, I am doing cardio for the sake of improving my cardio. I am eating right for the sake of fat burn. I mean the exercise helps, but I honestly don't even factor it in to my weight loss planning.

But yeah, I'll give something like that a go. Stuff I can do from home would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad