OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: I'm Already Sick of Holiday Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah. I've certainly got some gripes with the new site, so far. I figure it might take a bit to get some wrinkles ironed out. Maybe... I hope. But it does seem a bit jumpy and is even more ad-infested than the old site. Though I haven't had SOME of the issues you guys are describing.

At least it's USABLE via mobile. The old site sure couldn't claim the same thing.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Regarding ads, there are really only two options.

1.) Go to the support forum here
2.) Become a sponsor. $12/yr and all the ads go away. Hover over your user name in the upper right corner, select 'Account Upgrades' from the drop down.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Regarding ads, there are really only two options.

1.) Go to the support forum here
2.) Become a sponsor. $12/yr and all the ads go away. Hover over your user name in the upper right corner, select 'Account Upgrades' from the drop down.

Wait, so they significantly made the website worse so you pay for the subscription and then it becomes better? That's some really shady crap right there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah. I've certainly got some gripes with the new site, so far. I figure it might take a bit to get some wrinkles ironed out. Maybe... I hope. But it does seem a bit jumpy and is even more ad-infested than the old site. Though I haven't had SOME of the issues you guys are describing.

At least it's USABLE via mobile. The old site sure couldn't claim the same thing.
This is true. The site is fairly decent on my iphone.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Wait, so they significantly made the website worse so you pay for the subscription and then it becomes better? That's some really shady crap right there.

This is seriously your response? There hasn't been any change in the amount of ads. I posted that information mostly so folks bitching about the ads were aware of their options. You have a choice, pay $1 a month and not see any ads, or continue to use the site for free and deal with them.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
My issue with HF aren't the ads, it's that the site gets autism randomly and is just not working well at all. I can deal with the ads, but the website just flat out doesn't work well right now.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I think part of what's going on is that they're actually listening to user feedback about the site and are trying to implement as much as they can. They're doing it in increments, so they know if something new messed up something else but there will probably be some tweaking going on for a little while longer. You might find turning off your ad-blocking software helps. It's probably not going to be effective anyway and it might be causing conflicts. I recall reading something recently about one of the companies that hosts the ads sued one of the companies that makes the block lists, something about copyright infringement, maybe? So that may be why you're seeing more ads, and it's probably not just this site where it's happening.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No, it most certainly isn't just happening here.

Much like the Penguins situation, I'll give it some time before I get too salty about it. There just seems to be some hiccups regarding how smoothly things run.

I don't actually have a problem with the layout at all. It just makes posting a work a bit more conspicuous. :D

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I don't see ads here on my laptop or iPhone. I use FF browser with AdBlock Ultimate add-on and Adblock Plus app on my phone.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I've got two adblockers running and it does seem to have helped but it still feels like there is a lag on the website.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
*sigh*
Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug ...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is seriously your response? There hasn't been any change in the amount of ads. I posted that information mostly so folks bitching about the ads were aware of their options. You have a choice, pay $1 a month and not see any ads, or continue to use the site for free and deal with them.

Which is fine, which is what we were all fine with prior to the update which seems to go around apps we have all added to make this site a better experience.

Not only has the update made this site sluggish to peruse, it's also found some way to circumvent an ad blocker, which we all are allowed to use much to the people that own this site's chagrin for lining their pockets, which in the end, is their right, just as it is ours when we use that ad blocker. But that's not even the point, if the ads are what makes this site so amazingly slow, that it some how helps push the narrative of "well if you want it smoother, buy our subscription" then yeah, that is shady crap. I'm sorry that angers you, I am not saying anything that isn't within the rules.

The site is slow for the vast majority of users, on various browsers. It's not just a small problem for a few, its a wide spread one. Ruining the experience for people to talk hockey or whatever else they come here for, you know, a place built on the community of said people.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My issue with HF aren't the ads, it's that the site gets autism randomly and is just not working well at all. I can deal with the ads, but the website just flat out doesn't work well right now.

Yeah, I ignored the ads, even the ones that slipped past my ad blocker, because the site loaded properly and it wasn't slow. Now, it's insanely slow. I know damn well it's not my computer or my internet, I have the fastest speed available in maple syrup land and my computer is "pimp'd" out with specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad