Player Discussion: BIG Adam Lowry

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
“Stone hands Lowry isn’t good enough to be a 3C, he’s a 4C. We need a more offensive player like Petan as a 3C” - Many Jets fans.

Lowry - 8 goals in the NHL
Petan - 6 goals in the AHL
Petan is still young but I have to say I have egg on my face about him. I defended him for years. Honestly I think he's entering AHL journeyman territory

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Petan is still young but I have to say I have egg on my face about him. I defended him for years. Honestly I think he's entering AHL journeyman territory

Not sure what has to do with the other. Different sorts of players, different expectations and opportunities, different trajectories, different paths. Might as well compare Lowry to Laine. No reason why Petan can't continue to develop into a Perrault-type player. No reason why Lowry can't continue to improve his skill game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lowry’s game is at a different level this season and he and Copp have been gold together. If you can’t figure out how valuable he is to winning games now you need to find another sport to watch.
Bang on. He showed signs last year but was still slagged by many as being a glorified 4th liner. He's shown this season that he's an elite defensive 3C who produces at a decent rate while playing with other defensive players. Matching him against other teams' top lines is a big reason for the Jets' home success.

For those who like stats for verification....

5v5...

1.99 p/60
57.2 CF%
57.1 GF%
63.1 xGF%

He's crushing tough competition and has been outstanding on the PK.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It’s getting to the point where i wanna know how he stacks up against other elite defensive centers in the league. Guy is money and I see him as another one of those long term Jets.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Not sure what has to do with the other. Different sorts of players, different expectations and opportunities, different trajectories, different paths. Might as well compare Lowry to Laine. No reason why Petan can't continue to develop into a Perrault-type player. No reason why Lowry can't continue to improve his skill game.
Have the record show I wasn't comparing them and never did. But well said and totally true

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Corsi against/60: 1st (45.63)
Fenwick against/60: 1st (31.33)
Shots on goal against/60: 1st (21.11)
Goals against/60: 69th (1.87)
Scoring chances against/60: 8th (21.97)
High danger chances against/60: 1st (6.47)
HD goals against/60: 9th (0.51)

Corsi%: 14th (57.05%)
Fenwick%: 2nd (59.65%)
Shots on goal%: 1st (60.51%)
Goals%: 55th (59.26%)
Scoring chances%: 17th (57.57%)
High danger chances%: 1st (67.80%)
HD goals%: 7th (78.57%)

All of these are among forwards with 200+ minutes of 5v5 hockey this year. Safe to say that whenever Lowry is on the ice, the prospect of the opposition generating offense quickly diminishes. It should also be said that Copp and Tanev are often very high up these rankings too.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bang on. He showed signs last year but was still slagged by many as being a glorified 4th liner. He's shown this season that he's an elite defensive 3C who produces at a decent rate while playing with other defensive players. Matching him against other teams' top lines is a big reason for the Jets' home success.

For those who like stats for verification....

5v5...

1.99 p/60
57.2 CF%
57.1 GF%
63.1 xGF%

He's crushing tough competition and has been outstanding on the PK.

I've been saying for a while that he compares well to other 3C's around the league. I'd still like to see some C come along who can push him down to the 4th line. :naughty:

Reactions: Hunter368

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder how he is doing compared to Couturier when Sean was playing 3rd line shut down role?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He is going to get more on his next deal than I thought he would.

16m for 5 years?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I haven't worn my Lowry jersey for some time. This may explain the improvement. I'll wear it to our next game against Buffalo. If he has a dreadful game, it will be retired to the dusty corner of the walk-in closet.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
My love for Lowry continues to increase, he is just doing so many things well right now, particularly his skating and puck control.

Never prouder wearing my Lowry jersey than from my vantage point last night.

Reactions: ps241

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
My love for Lowry continues to increase, he is just doing so many things well right now, particularly his skating and puck control.

Never prouder wearing my Lowry jersey than from my vantage point last night.

Where is Gump at this proud moment? He should be smiling from ear to ear.
Mods/anyone know what happened to him?

Reactions: Huffer

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Where is Gump at this proud moment? He should be smiling from ear to ear.
Mods/anyone know what happened to him?

It’s possible he hit the wall last season with our board.......last year was a tough season. Miss the game day music and he was Lowry’s #1 fan. He’s out there somewhere enjoying Adam’s tour de force.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I wonder how he is doing compared to Couturier when Sean was playing 3rd line shut down role?
Compared to Couturier's 2016-17 season, Lowry's defensive numbers are quite a bit better across the board, whereas Couturier has an edge offensively.

Reactions: ps241

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Last season widespread hate mongering against Lowry looks now even more ridiculous that it was already back then.

Now when Lowry (and also Tanev to some extent) finally gets some well deserved love at HFJets, I'm eager to see when that happens with our whipping boy Myers as well.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Last season widespread hate mongering against Lowry looks now even more ridiculous that it was already back then.

Now when Lowry (and also Tanev to some extent) finally gets some well deserved love at HFJets, I'm eager to see when that happens with our whipping boy Myers as well.
While there were people who were not fans of Lowry, they had a point; Lowry's line was consistent defensively, but they could not produce offense if their lives depended on it. As far as third lines go, that's not exactly the recipe for success of a line. This year, they are outscoring their opposition by a good margin, while providing even better defensive game. CLT has been one of the very best lines, if not the best line in terms of limiting chances and shots against.

I've pretty much fell in love with Lowry's game. I'm afraid keeping him requires an overpayment, though, but even still, that's likely to be a necessary investment. If this kind of defensive play can be sustained, it will be worth it.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I too am one of the longtime Adam Lowry fans. (I attached my post in Nov. of last year seeking some Love for Lowry)

Many of you have touched on so many of the positives he brings to the team so I don’t need to add more. Thanks to the stat guys for providing the statistical evidence as well. I just love what he brings to the team.

There is another person who rarely gets credit around these parts but I think he deserves alot of it with Adam, and that’s the Coach. (I’m not about to start a “Love for PoMo” thread just yet) He showed a lot of love and patience with Adam that many here just scoffed at. His projections for him were pretty much bang-on.
He also took a lot of heat on Tanev and appears he was likely right on him too.
Don’t want to derail the thread.... just wanted to give the Coach some credit.

A win tonight would help bring the New Year in even better!
:newyear:

Go Jets Go!

Hey Jets followers,

Still not getting all the hate for Lowry on this board. I am not his biggest fan, (or a relative) but don't really think he deserves all the "hate" he gets on this board.

He had a stellar year 1 which had lots on here (including our coach) excited about the future for him.

Last year was certainly a step back which saw him end up on the Moose for a period of time. (which should have started much earlier than it did). Though he was better once back from the A, he still had a ways to go. Sophomore jinx?

This year has been an upswing for him from last year in my eyes. Aside from his lack of finish on the PP and the face off loss in last night's game vs the Caps, there's not that much to be upset about with his play. Or do people hate on him because they don't like Coach's decision to play him on #1 PP. I can't say I like him on the #1 PP either, but it's not like he put himself there? Lots of disgust with him is related to his stature on the PP.

I try to watch him closely when I attend games and he does so many good things on the boards, on the cycle, has great chemistry with one of our new fan faves, decent on the draws, and so on...plus he's only 23!

Having said all that, I am not a big analytics guy, so maybe there's something he is doing (or not doing) that tells those who are into the fancy stats that he is deserving of all the negative press he gets.

It just seems like there is very small percentage of people on this board who like what they see from him this year.... I guess I am one of them and am fine with that!

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I have had my Lowry avatar for a few years now and I never doubted he would become the player PoMo told us repeatedly he was training to be. HFJets unfortunately does not share the Jets patience when it comes to developing players. Except for Petan. For some unexplained reason there is endless patience for Petan and no one else. :laugh:

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I have had my Lowry avatar for a few years now and I never doubted he would become the player PoMo told us repeatedly he was training to be. HFJets unfortunately does not share the Jets patience when it comes to developing players. Except for Petan. For some unexplained reason there is endless patience for Petan and no one else. :laugh:

It kinda blows my mind to think that PoMo consistently told us he was training Lowry for a job.... And now it appears he is excelling at that job.

I'm actually a little blown away by Lowry's p/60 5vs5. Isn't 2 per 60 around 1st line levels? Keep in mind he is scoring like that with Tanev and Copp and being one of the most defensively sound forwards in the NHL. His possession numbers are Bergeron levels.

Frankly, if you can sign Lowry long term for anything under 3.5 million you have to do it.

I remember when PoMo was laughed at for trying Lowry at 1C for a couple games in the preseason 2 years ago?

I'd have no problem with him taking Chefs spot while he's out if the whole Wheeler at C thing doesn't work. I wonder how he'd do with some higher end offensive players.

*Side note. It warmed my heart to see the Lowry first unit PP goal.... Its almost like it's not a fluke anymore...

Reactions: FFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad