Pre-Game Talk: Beware of Lightning in Ottawa, tonight @ 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In the 2nd it was more obvious when the puck went back into the Tampa zone. If you have a chance to replay the period see how often the 1st forechecker went in alone and didn't even skate hard. He just held his stick to the side trying to block the passing lanes and the support players waited in the neutral zone. Totally different in most of the 1st and 3rd when they were trying to separate man from puck and gain possession on many shifts where 2 or even 3 guys chased the puck down unless there was a line change
ok i'll try to watch it again

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the Sens players have switched gears faster than the fans... Its been like negative , negative , negative and all of a sudden holy crap where have you guys been

It's worth pointing out we got outshot 48 to 33, the game was far from an oil painting.

Reactions: Cosmix

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
This is the team I was expecting from the beginning. Happy to see them winning. The title of this thread should read Lightning beware of Senators. Also glad I got to wear my new jersey, which was the same as the teams tonight.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What the? They sat back big time in the 2nd and that's how Tampa came back. Clear as day.
okay okay ... I will try to watch it again ... I just didn't see them have the puck to attack much.. if you are just dumping it in and changing because you just spent your whole shift in your end its hard to muster a forecheck

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sens flipped the switch? man they look like a different team and wow Duchene amazing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What the? They sat back big time in the 2nd and that's how Tampa came back. Clear as day.

My issue with the second was the play in our end, and I'd have to re-watch to be sure, but I think that led to a lot of 1 man forcheck while the rest of the team changed.

Tbay was heavy on the forcheck sealing up lanes quick, and all we could do is chip it of the boards and out. We never got anything going through the NZ.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we can play somewhat poorly and still win, then I like our chances when we are on our game.
Problem with the game, and it's a microcosm of the team all year, and probably last too, is we didn't play 60 mins. We got outshot 20-10 in the 2nd, and didn't register a single shot till the 10 min mark of the third.

It's not that we played somewhat poorly, it's that we played really poorly at times in the game, and most nights that will cost you.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Boucher just said on TSN1200 in French that they put a lot of pressure on Tampa in the 1st and 3rd periods and he said it takes a lot of energy to do that. From his own statement I take it it was a deliberate shift in strategy on his part in the 2nd.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Props to Andy with some big saves and a good game from EK tonight.
Chabot keeps gaining confidence... I love watching him play... couple little hiccups but .. perfection is very hard.
I like Harpur as well.. He is finding his way.

Nice to see the boys having some fun and some success

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
White had a shaky start but started to look better later on in the game. Let him get comfortable and see what he can do

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Good news is that Boucher just said that he liked them paying together and that Karlsson likes playing with Chabot (I bet he does-someone with some skill for a change) and has taken him under his wing.

Pretty funny how this is only happening because Oduya went down. Boucher gets zero credit here.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Boucher just said on TSN1200 in French that they put a lot of pressure on Tampa in the 1st and 3rd periods and he said it takes a lot of energy to do that. From his own statement I take it it was a deliberate shift in strategy on his part in the 2nd.

Ironically it takes even more energy to run around in your own end for minutes at a time....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

This is why shortening the bench kills us. Playing the 4th line 8 mins a night kills our ability to push the pace. If we had a 4th line of Smith-Thompson-Pyatt playing 12 mins a night, and Chlapik on the 3rd with Pageau and White playing 15 a night, we can really push the pace all game.

Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan 16 mins
Dzingel-Brassard-Stone 17 mins
Chlapik-Pageau-White 15 mins
Smith-Thompson-Pyatt 12 mins

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Problem with the game, and it's a microcosm of the team all year, and probably last too, is we didn't play 60 mins. We got outshot 20-10 in the 2nd, and didn't register a single shot till the 10 min mark of the third.

It's not that we played somewhat poorly, it's that we played really poorly at times in the game, and most nights that will cost you.

It's also entirely possible that they were slightly out of gas on the back to back and eased up in the second and half of the third to try to conserve energy for a late push provided the game was still close...

Reactions: Alex1234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad