Pre-Game Talk: rags

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Thinking about the Series schedule.

Knicks play Mon & Wed. at home. Then, they are on the road for 2, with their game 4 on Sunday. Their Game 5 at home would probably be Tuesday.

Thus, logical to think our series will go: Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday-Monday for the first 5. lol: I'd think Ice conditions will be poor too given Rangers-Knicks at MSG and the high heat the Triangle will have next week.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I have seen this posted online. What in absolute TARNATION? LOL
athletic canes rangers odds.png

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I have seen this posted online. What in absolute TARNATION? LOL
View attachment 864148
Shayna usually runs good numbers, although Im not sure what model they are using over there.

we are the betting favorites.

I guess everyone is looking at the fact that we had more 7 points than them from December 11th until the end of the season. The start of the season until December 10th we were in a 10 point hole. Add in Freddie's numbers since his return, the 5v5 play, the JG trade, etc.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Still shocked they are starting round 2 games when round 1 games are still going

I think they did that last year too; once one conference finished they started round 2 while the other conference was still playing round 1 Game 7's scheduled.

I can understand why: Boston and Toronto game 7 is on Saturday so the Eastern conference will be finished their first round Saturday night.

I would assume the 2nd round for Western Conference would be on Tuesday since they wrap up on Sunday.

Reactions: cptjeff

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019

You know, I have no clue what these numbers represent and what Corsi is and all that but aside from the graph giving all those numbers for both teams I thought this was an interesting article.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think both goalies will be very good, but not otherworldly. I'm expecting both to give up some questionable goals but are really the result of screens, deflections, and elite shooting.

There will be a tiny bit more space than the Islanders series, but some of us are underestimating the Rangers' defense. Normally when we play them neither team has many scoring chances. Whoever got the bounce won. The Rangers play excellent defense.

For the Hurricanes, it feels like it comes down to limiting penalties. The easiest way to beat the Rangers is to mostly play 5 on 5. It's possible in theory to try to get the Rangers out of their heads and have them play out of position for hits and bad penalties. I don't think that will happen unless the Canes happen to win both games 1 and 2.

Perhaps the Canes have the tiniest advantage going in from having played a more playoff ready team like the Isles, whereas the Rangers played a much worse style for the playoffs in a banged-up Capitals team. Given the long layoff for both teams, this advantage is minimal.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
To me the Rangers are the favorite because they have the best record. They have been our kryptonite over the years (basically since the 2022 playoffs).

Hoping we can knock them off this time.

They struggled against a Caps team and we struggled against the Isles but the Isles were more playoff built than the caps, also the Isles were one of the hottest teams in the league coming into the playoffs.

Shesterkin was the difference maker last time; but we now see him again. Can he be the difference maker again?

I'm hoping he doesn't turn into a Lunqvist. Lunqvist owned Carolina over the years...until we beat him in the bubble a few years ago.

His dominance may have been the reason why the Rangers dominated Carolina throughout the years.

Shesterkin is a little more beatable: He's only 5-4-0 in 9 games vs Carolina in his career.

If you factor in the playoffs in 2022 he's 9-7 vs Carolina in his career.

For a Vezina goaltender those do not show dominance vs a team.

Reactions: Stickpucker

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
To me the Rangers are the favorite because they have the best record. They have been our kryptonite over the years (basically since the 2022 playoffs).

Hoping we can knock them off this time.

They struggled against a Caps team and we struggled against the Isles but the Isles were more playoff built than the caps, also the Isles were one of the hottest teams in the league coming into the playoffs.

Shesterkin was the difference maker last time; but we now see him again. Can he be the difference maker again?

I'm hoping he doesn't turn into a Lunqvist. Lunqvist owned Carolina over the years...until we beat him in the bubble a few years ago.

His dominance may have been the reason why the Rangers dominated Carolina throughout the years.

Shesterkin is a little more beatable: He's only 5-4-0 in 9 games vs Carolina in his career.

If you factor in the playoffs in 2022 he's 9-7 vs Carolina in his career.

For a Vezina goaltender those do not show dominance vs a team.
Since 2022 we are 5-6 vs them in the regular season and 3-4 against them in the playoffs... It's been pretty even and they happened to win that series and have won a bit more in the regular season recently but not sure I'd call them "our kryptonite." They are a tough opponent but we really should beat them. Boston back in '21 and prior, Tampa, Florida have all been more "kryptonite" to us than the Rags.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Since 2022 we are 5-6 vs them in the regular season and 3-4 against them in the playoffs... It's been pretty even and they happened to win that series and have won a bit more in the regular season recently but not sure I'd call them "our kryptonite." They are a tough opponent but we really should beat them. Boston back in '21 and prior, Tampa, Florida have all been more "kryptonite" to us than the Rags.

I know that MSG has been a house of horrors for us but I believe it was more a house of horrors when Lundqvist was their goalie. He's retired now and since he's left I have noticed we've played better at MSG lately.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The bigger issue that I have with a Canes-Rangers series is that I just know that 30-40% of the seats are going to be filled with Cary Transplant Rangers fans. That's going to be annoying to hear about from that cadre of NHL fans who do not understand our city's in-migration history and still think that we can't sell arenas out with our own fans.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I know that MSG has been a house of horrors for us but I believe it was more a house of horrors when Lundqvist was their goalie. He's retired now and since he's left I have noticed we've played better at MSG lately.
yes "king" henrik was absolutely our kryptonite pretty much forever.

33-12-1 against us with a .934 sv% and 2.00 GAA. Surprisingly only 2 shutouts though... will forever laugh at the rags for wasting that dude's career and never getting him a ring.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Dont know that I agree with this at all. In 22-23 they won 3 of 4 all but 1 game was close. This year they won 2 of 3 both their wins were 1 goal games our win was a blow out win.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Why are we always stuck with the afternoon games in playoffs? Why can’t we be Sunday night at 7 pm EST start?

I actually don't mind an afternoon game on a Sunday. Because if it goes to like 4 OTs (like game 1 vs Florida) it likely won't end at like 2:00 in the morning but maybe 10 in the evening.

I watched that whole Florida game and it was funny seeing the fans. That game was at the point where the fans were probably thinking I don't care who scores just somebody please score so we can go home.

I know not everyone has that luxury but I'm okay with the afternoon games on a weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad