Pre-Game Talk: Beware of Lightning in Ottawa, tonight @ 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
This is why shortening the bench kills us. Playing the 4th line 8 mins a night kills our ability to push the pace. If we had a 4th line of Smith-Thompson-Pyatt playing 12 mins a night, and Chlapik on the 3rd with Pageau and White playing 15 a night, we can really push the pace all game.

Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan 16 mins
Dzingel-Brassard-Stone 17 mins
Chlapik-Pageau-White 15 mins
Smith-Thompson-Pyatt 12 mins

How those aren't the lines is just mind boggling.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's also entirely possible that they were slightly out of gas on the back to back and eased up in the second and half of the third to try to conserve energy for a late push provided the game was still close...

I think it's just as likely that they didn't want to get caught on the long change, in the end though, if easing up means you play terribly, because lets be honest, it was not quality hockey on our part for a good stretch, then it's probably not the greatest strategy long term. You might get a break here and there, but I would't go to that well too often.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ironically it takes even more energy to run around in your own end for minutes at a time....

And I would wager, if you're having fun (and firewagon hockey is fun), even if you are extending more energy, you don't necessarily feel it as much during the game, and you are more willing to exert that energy.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's just as likely that they didn't want to get caught on the long change, in the end though, if easing up means you play terribly, because lets be honest, it was not quality hockey on our part for a good stretch, then it's probably not the greatest strategy long term. You might get a break here and there, but I would't go to that well too often.

2 games in a row with great results .. neither were masterpieces as you say.. found a way to win them.. which is different than how it has been going

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How those aren't the lines is just mind boggling.
To be fair, it's a lot of youth on the 3rd and Boucher likes a matchup third. More realistic would be swapping Smith with one of White or Chlapik, which would still be fine.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Duchene with more goals than turris since the trade.

High fives for everyone
Not to start a debate.

But Turris has something like 2 points in his last 9 games. The production has dried up a little it seems.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pretty funny how this is only happening because Oduya went down. Boucher gets zero credit here.

It happened a lot last night too. Oduya got the occasion shift on DZ face-offs with Karlsosn but it was mostly Chabot with EK. Last night he played 15:31 with EK, 0:28 with Ceci and 1:58 with Harpur, meanwhile EK only played 4:01 with Oduya. Chabot has spent 45.1% of his ice time this season with Karlsson next to him, far more than any other defensemen. Now a lot of that ice time has been when the senators are trailing late but even in the first period that number sits at 33.2%, which again is the most. The trend has been moving towards them playing together regardless of the score though.

Reactions: Back in Black

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We aren't making the playoffs, we can get that out of the way.

We knew we weren't as bad as the past 1.5 months, we knew we were bad, but playing well below their capabilities, and not enjoying the stiffing system. The last 2 games were different (3rd of the Sharks game).

Now is the time to trim the roster of non-essential, non-core pieces for any picks we can get. Get futures for NHL pieces we do not need.

If we lose, so be it, our initial draft spot gets better, but I think we will do just as well/better with youth subbed in for Thompson/Pyatt/Burrows/Oduya/Smith.

Get 5/6 mid round picks, open up salary, and open up room for Chlapik/White/Jaros/Paul/Gagne for some experience, and insert some of them next year on cheap ELC deals.\

Boucher doesn't like this of course, but Dorion is the guy at the helm. He should make that his priority.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We aren't making the playoffs, we can get that out of the way.

We knew we weren't as bad as the past 1.5 months. Now is the time to trim the roster of non-essential, non-core pieces for any picks we can get.

If we lose, so be it, our initial draft spot get better, but I think we will do just as well/better with youth subbed in for Thompson/Pyatt/Burrows/Oduya/Smith.

Get 5/6 mid round picks, open up salary, and open up room for Chlapik/White/Jaros/Paul/Gagne for some experience, and insert some of them next year on cheap ELC deals.
Where do I sign up?

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon

ya it's possible, but if we're being honest, as you said...they were also playing the best team in the league tonight so it's not surprising in the least that they made the Sens look bad during certain portions of the game. Either way, kudos to the boys for gutting out a solid win against a great team on the back to back.
Perhaps the team is just finally starting to gel and find some new chemistry. I guess we'll see how things go from here but I think it's safe to say this is how most of us thought the team was capable of playing.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
dylan_ottawa_jersey.jpg
Those jerseys are dope AF btw.
I got one for Christmas:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Problem with the game, and it's a microcosm of the team all year, and probably last too, is we didn't play 60 mins. We got outshot 20-10 in the 2nd, and didn't register a single shot till the 10 min mark of the third.

It's not that we played somewhat poorly, it's that we played really poorly at times in the game, and most nights that will cost you.

I think it was about time Anderson bailed us out. Against San Jose, it was the rest of the team bailing him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad