Pre-Game Talk: Beware of Lightning in Ottawa, tonight @ 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
We aren't making the playoffs, we can get that out of the way.

We knew we weren't as bad as the past 1.5 months, we knew we were bad, but playing well below their capabilities, and not enjoying the stiffing system. The last 2 games were different (3rd of the Sharks game).

Now is the time to trim the roster of non-essential, non-core pieces for any picks we can get. Get futures for NHL pieces we do not need.

If we lose, so be it, our initial draft spot gets better, but I think we will do just as well/better with youth subbed in for Thompson/Pyatt/Burrows/Oduya/Smith.

Get 5/6 mid round picks, open up salary, and open up room for Chlapik/White/Jaros/Paul/Gagne for some experience, and insert some of them next year on cheap ELC deals.\

Boucher doesn't like this of course, but Dorion is the guy at the helm. He should make that his priority.
Aye

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sadly missed this one and forgot to set the PVR. Went out to the movies (Highly recommend Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri btw). Looks like our best players in Anderson, Karlsson and Stone all showed up again. Dzingel is a beauty. I'm down for a bit of a run here if it means we don't trade Hoffman. Would still really like a top 5 pick so maybe we can lock down Zadina or another top prospect.

How did White look?

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Yes I know. I’ve been defending him for years.

oh ok, i thought you might be being sarcastic with your post but wasn't quite sure...Dzingel has been an interesting player to watch over the past few years. In the past I'd say it was obvious that the kid had a real head for the game and adding his speed and craftiness to go with that it should have made him one of the Sens more lethal forwards....but his hands/finish was always lacking around the net...hence the flack he was taking. This year however it appears that his hands/finish has finally caught up with the rest of his more elite abilities...and I say elite just by watching most of the goals he scores and the moves he makes while scoring them...the kid is talented for sure, and if he's finally got everything working for him, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him pot 30-40 a year with the right line mates and minutes.

Reactions: Cosmix

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
oh ok, i thought you might be being sarcastic with your post but wasn't quite sure...Dzingel has been an interesting player to watch over the past few years. In the past I'd say it was obvious that the kid had a real head for the game and adding his speed and craftiness to go with that it should have made him one of the Sens more lethal forwards....but his hands/finish was always lacking around the net...hence the flack he was taking. This year however it appears that his hands/finish has finally caught up with the rest of his more elite abilities...and I say elite just by watching most of the goals he scores and the moves he makes while scoring them...the kid is talented for sure, and if he's finally got everything working for him, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him pot 30-40 a year with the right line mates and minutes.

30-40 a year? Yeesh! I mean, I know he’s been good so far this year, but that’s tough to do. Especially in today’s nhl. How many 30-40 goal scorers do you see nowadays?

I think 20-25 is more realistic. He strikes me as a guy who will go into some slumps along the way. He still has trouble finishing on breakaways.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
its fun to see the team still play with fire despite the standings. beautiful game by our clutch players again too.
keep the jerseys.

Reactions: Deku

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
i like to be optimistic:laugh:

Apparently. Better than being negative. It’s what I find funny about chatting with fans online. A lot of them have such high expectations for young players. Formenton is going to have 4 twenty goal seasons according to one person. It’s aomost like the bar is set too high for some of these guys.

I had expectations for Meszaros, Cowen, Ceci, Lehner and Lazar and they all fell short. I don’t mean to be negative about any of our prospects right now. Just trying to keep my expectations realistic.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Yeah I'm not completely sold on Formenton yet...Batherson will probably have a higher ceiling but it's really way too early to tell on either of those players...both could still be busts. Dzingel is still interesting though...when you think about the fact of how bad the Sens have been over the past couple of months and that Dzingel got his what?...13-14 goal tonight?...had the Sens even been playing .500 hockey over the past 2 months Dzingel may already have 20 goals....with 42 games to go...so while I'm being optimistic...it's not completely unrealistic either to think that, had things been going better for the team overall.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
4 goals in 3 for Dzingel... Lock him up.

Also, guys, we’re on a 2 game winning streak. 1 more win and we’re tied for seasons best :laugh:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Karlsson, despite everything that's happened, is a +3 and has 11 points in his last 10 games. Slowly getting back to normal. We can say goodbye to that 1st round pick this season if he continues to improve. Wouldn't be surprised if he kept up this pace and finished with over 60 points to lead all dmen(Although Klingberg might have a say in that).

Definitely won't be hearing much more talk about trading him for the next 42 games me thinks.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Karlsson, despite everything that's happened, is a +3 and has 11 points in his last 10 games. Slowly getting back to normal. We can say goodbye to that 1st round pick this season if he continues to improve. Wouldn't be surprised if he kept up this pace and finished with over 60 points to lead all dmen(Although Klingberg might have a say in that).

Definitely won't be hearing much more talk about trading him for the next 42 games me thinks.

He needs to keep his focus. He was great last night.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You really can't stand for any criticism of Sens management/operations can you?

Marketing for this team is horrendous. No need to elaborate.

It's easy to make a claim, but without any examples to support your allegations, it proves nothing.

Someone posted that they saw some billboards in Tamps, promoting the the Lightning, and you immediately said that their marketing is better than the Senators .......... but you still refuse to give examples, or even a comparison.

Do people in Ottawa know there is a NHL team in Ottawa? Do they know where and when they play the games? If the answer to these two questions are yes, then perhaps their marketing is not nearly as bad as you claim it is.

So just what are you basing your claims on?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It happened a lot last night too. Oduya got the occasion shift on DZ face-offs with Karlsosn but it was mostly Chabot with EK. Last night he played 15:31 with EK, 0:28 with Ceci and 1:58 with Harpur, meanwhile EK only played 4:01 with Oduya. Chabot has spent 45.1% of his ice time this season with Karlsson next to him, far more than any other defensemen. Now a lot of that ice time has been when the senators are trailing late but even in the first period that number sits at 33.2%, which again is the most. The trend has been moving towards them playing together regardless of the score though.

Last night's game.

OTTAWA SENATORS LINES FOR 2018-01-06
EVEN STRENGTH
FORWARDS

DEFENCE

POWER PLAY
FORWARDS

DEFENCE

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We aren't making the playoffs, we can get that out of the way.

We knew we weren't as bad as the past 1.5 months, we knew we were bad, but playing well below their capabilities, and not enjoying the stiffing system. The last 2 games were different (3rd of the Sharks game).

Now is the time to trim the roster of non-essential, non-core pieces for any picks we can get. Get futures for NHL pieces we do not need.

If we lose, so be it, our initial draft spot gets better, but I think we will do just as well/better with youth subbed in for Thompson/Pyatt/Burrows/Oduya/Smith.

Get 5/6 mid round picks, open up salary, and open up room for Chlapik/White/Jaros/Paul/Gagne for some experience, and insert some of them next year on cheap ELC deals.\

Boucher doesn't like this of course, but Dorion is the guy at the helm. He should make that his priority.
It's not just Boucher though, since they're blocking the prospects at the AHL level as well, so Dorion is 100% behind this.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do people in Ottawa know there is a NHL team in Ottawa? Do they know where and when they play the games? If the answer to these two questions are yes, then perhaps their marketing is not nearly as bad as you claim it is.

So just what are you basing your claims on?
You’re basing the teams marketing on whether people know that they exist or not? If that was the goal why do people spend so much money on marketing. Seems easy to me

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
On another note Chabot is looking to be developing nicely. He had some really good one timers last night

kenempa

May 10, 2017
This game just proved that we're better off as an offensive team. We blew a 3-0 lead in the second trying to defend and dump. Anyways, I'm over it. I'm all in for Dahlin baby

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Harpur and Chabot are being brought along nicely I think. Really happy with both of them. White getting a taste, and Chlapik getting one earlier will be good for them. You let the kids just go out there and play a bit and get a feel for the game without pressure on them. White will get more ice time as his fundamental play improves. If he was a star things might be different, but the way this management brings along young players is clearly different than under Murray.

Slow steady growth, nothing handed out, nothing given for free, but good play rewarded and young players sheltered and protected. It's on the job training.

Chlapik and White will be even more hungry next season, and with these call ups, will have a host of things to focus on in the AHL. I have high hopes for both, and am glad that they aren't being relied on to win games of be difference makers at this point. The last thing a rookie needs is this fanbase's hopes pinned on them.

Our player development looks good so far, being patient is definitely hard though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad