Better GM? Toronto vs. Winnipeg

Better Job?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
lmao, you actually think the Clowe contract is similar to Martins??

hahahahahaha.

Also Martins has one extra year in comparison to Masons -- who will likely not take the starting job from Helley ever, so again, ez choice, I'll take the 4th line plug thankyou very much.

I stand corrected. I said you claimed: A 2 year contract at 4.1M is worse than a 4th line player at 2.5M x 4 years that is no longer a line up option? What I failed to say was you claimed it was much worse. Keep the laughs coming Kelly/Hennig.

Much worse. Anyone with an ounce of reason would take a short 2 year contract for a proven goalie at 4.1M than a 4 year 10 million dollar contract for a 4th line plug that is looking like a player that has outlived his usefulness in the NHL. lol

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You'd likely take Andrew Copp over Auston Matthews so I'm not surprised.

I don't even like Martin, you're right he isn't a useful player anymore. But there are sure as hell better ways to spend money than on a 4.1million backup.

Chevy has done a marvelous job at straying away from bad contracts, so it doesn't even matter. It's just laughable how hard your banging the Martin drum in this thread.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I stand corrected. I said you claimed: A 2 year contract at 4.1M is worse than a 4th line player at 2.5M x 4 years that is no longer a line up option? What I failed to say was you claimed it was much worse. Keep the laughs coming Kelly/Hennig.

Much worse. Anyone with an ounce of reason would take a short 2 year contract for a proven goalie at 4.1M than a 4 year 10 million dollar contract for a 4th line plug that is looking like a player that has outlived his usefulness in the NHL. lol

But you also listed Dominic Moore's 1 year deal as a bad contract for Lou. Make up your mind.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But you also listed Dominic Moore's 1 year deal as a bad contract for Lou. Make up your mind.

Let's this discuss this. How does that look right now taking up a roster spot, with Leivo asking for a trade? He has been virtually a non 37 yr old factor this season.

And the assertion by Kelly was the Mason 2 years for 8.2M deal was much worse than the Martin 4 years for 10M. If so, why? and why are you avoiding this ridiculous assertion?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Let's this discuss this. How does that look right now taking up a roster spot, with Leivo asking for a trade? He has been virtually a non 37 yr old factor this season.

And the assertion by Kelly was the Mason 2 years for 8.2M deal was much worse than the Martin 4 years for 10M. If so, why? and why are you avoiding this ridiculous assertion?

Leivo plays C like Moore? Get a clue.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Leafs have the same number of series wins and fewer regular season points.

So 2 playoff wins makes them a better team over the last 2.5 years including this year. Let's have a look;

Since 15-16

Points - Jets, 236, Leafs 229
Goals For - Jets 636, Leafs 621
Goals Against - Jets 635, Leafs 638
Wins - Jets 106, Leafs 99

So, the Jets have 7 more wins and 7 more points while scoring 15 more goals and allowing 3 fewer.

Those 2 playoff games though...

I dunno about you, but I would much rather be ahead in playoff runs. A sweep just has a bad sound to it.

He also signed Marleau and presumably has the last say in drafting and the Leafs have done well there. If we compare;

Big UFA signings - Mason, Hendricks and Kulikov vs Marleau, Andersen and Zaitsev - advantage Leafs thought that may be more due to the city

Signings / extensions - Chevy has knocked it out of the park so far. Ehlers, Buff, Wheeler, and even short term Trouba and Hellebuyck were great signings.

Drafting - Laine and Matthews were both no brainers. Ehlers, Nylander and Marner as well. Who has done better with other picks? Its close.

Did you forget the extension Lou gave Rielly & Kadri? Those were bargains.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think there’s too much focus on individuals too. It’s better to look at management groups (especially for a team like the Leafs that seems to “manage by committee”) rather than just who the GM - no decision is ever likely made in isolation.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
These are core guys? Because I said half your core. Not half your team. Unless you have comprehension issues.

Jets had Buff, Wheeler, Little, Chef, Perrault, Trouba, Myers all on the team in the 2014-15 season. Oh and they made the playoffs that year FYI. And the following few seasons they had only added to that roster. Unless you want to tell me that Andrew Ladd was such a MASSIVE loss to the team that it knocked them down to two bottom 10 finishes, I would safely assume that the Jets were a good team that were going through growing pains and underachieved their potential largely due to poor goaltending and defensive woes (+Injuries).
You bolded all but the 7 top end players above. Why did you do that? There is no analysis that doesn't recognize that the Jets have remade their roster with young players. Only Enstrom, Little, Wheeler and Buff remain from the original core. Smart GM figured out which core to keep, and rebuilt the rest through the draft, trades and development. Also, signing Perreault was one of the best UFA moves in a long time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Again, I never said the core guys were in their prime 3/4 years ago. I said that half your core has been in place for a while. Which apparently makes me clueless to a few posters here. It's funny how defensive some people get.

Leafs "core" includes Rielly and Kadri from the old regime. Marner, Willie, Matthews, Andersen, Dermott, Lilly (hopefully), Brown, Hyman, etc. didn't make the team until last season. We didn't have a core of great players to carry the team or atleast grow with the team like the Jets did. We literally unloaded the old core we had and that was done so we can rebuild. Leafs tanking was a necessity. Us getting Marner and 4 and Matthews at 1 was something to team did actively to achieve. I don't see how that's a negative in any way. The peggy poster claimed that the Jets didn't intentionally tank to get to where they are which is a "no ****" statement because they never had a team that bad in personnel to ever tank. The only reason you guys got Laine from 6 was because you won the lottery. Which again, isn't a bad thing.
Don't post things that sound ignorant and other posters won't claim you're posting ignorant stuff.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You bolded all but the 7 top end players above. Why did you do that? There is no analysis that doesn't recognize that the Jets have remade their roster with young players. Only Enstrom, Little, Wheeler and Buff remain from the original core. Smart GM figured out which core to keep, and rebuilt the rest through the draft, trades and development. Also, signing Perreault was one of the best UFA moves in a long time.
It's like so many people here have comprehension issues. I said from this core you guys have, almost half the guys were on the team that made the playoffs 3/4 years ago. It's not an inaccurate statement. Relax.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Don't post things that sound ignorant and other posters won't claim you're posting ignorant stuff.
Right. Because HockeyDB lies to fit my narrative. I think you guys are the delusional ones here. I look at facts. I don't give a flying F about the Jets either way. The team could fold for all I care.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I think both teams are happy with how the season has gone. Playoff success will be key.

Reactions: libertarian

Cotton

May 13, 2013
this is pointless
the leafs tanked for Matthews and got Matthews
teams that tank for for last shouldn't be applauded for picking 1st

No, they didn’t tank. It’s been pointed out and highlighted for tinfoil hat wearers like you numerous times on this site on how they finished with the most points for a last place team in a decade, that they finished the season with a better record than the previous year, and that they didn’t pull any dismantling moves like is common for teams who actually tank.

you don't know what you're talking about...

The irony here is awesome.

Last edited:

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Right. Because HockeyDB lies to fit my narrative. I think you guys are the delusional ones here. I look at facts. I don't give a flying F about the Jets either way. The team could fold for all I care.

Your proverbial goat appears to have been gotten, friend. Perhaps a glass of warm milk might calm you down.

Reactions: King Clancy

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
No, they didn’t tank. It’s been pointed out and highlighted for tinfoil hat wearers like you numerous times on this site on how they finished with the most points for a last place team in a decade, that they finished the season with a better record than the previous year, and that they didn’t pull any dismantling moves like is common for teams who actually tank.

The irony here is awesome.

I don't have any problem with being proven wrong, but you know they were betting on that first pick
nothing about a tin foil about that

they were still tanking regardless. you don't get last in this league by trying to win
look at Vancouver and the sens

if you wanna give them credit for tanking while remaining core pieces then sure. they still had to gamble for the 1st pick
Toronto needed that 1st pick more than Winnipeg needed the 2nd

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Gotta love it here

Where the highest points total of a last place team in years = deliberate tanking

It's a wash as far as I'm concerned, the jets have had a lot of players from when they were the thrashers and have been retooling/rebuilding for years

The leafs have been rebuilding for like 2 years, and there's still not much in it

Can't you guys just enjoy 2 decent Canadian teams for once

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad