Better GM? Toronto vs. Winnipeg

Better Job?

• Total voters

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Lou has the track record, but I start to think if it is not time to take away power from him, that Martin deal and Patrick M deal.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Jets more likely to beat Blues in the first round than Leafs Boston.

leafs 6-1 since last season vs the bruins. I guess one loss though means they have no chance lol.

Freddie is 9-1-1 now vs the B's. I still like the leafs odds

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Steve Masons contract is much worse than Matt Martins.
Leafs are still paying 1.2 million per year of Kessel's salary to win cups in Pittsburgh and they are complaining about the Mason contract. Leaf fans talking about a short rebuild the team hasn't won the cup since 1967 when it was a 6 team league. The rebuild is over 50 years already so nothing short about it.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Leafs are still paying 1.2 million per year of Kessel's salary to win cups in Pittsburgh and they are complaining about the Mason contract. Leaf fans talking about a short rebuild the team hasn't won the cup since 1967 when it was a 6 team league. The rebuild is over 50 years already so nothing short about it.

I actually brought up Mason because TWS was whining about Martin and Moore's contract.

Also not sure a Jets fan should be going off about cups lol.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When did Winnipeg's rebuild start?
2011, and it was a tear down to the foundations rebuild.

I guess we can give the Leafs' GM an "incomplete", because they have some further rebuilding to develop the kind of quality depth they'll need (especially on D).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You'd likely take Andrew Copp over Auston Matthews so I'm not surprised.

I don't even like Martin, you're right he isn't a useful player anymore. But there are sure as hell better ways to spend money than on a 4.1million backup.

Chevy has done a marvelous job at straying away from bad contracts, so it doesn't even matter. It's just laughable how hard your banging the Martin drum in this thread.
He could alternate with banging the Polak drum, I suppose... :naughty:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
All I know if that the fact that some people only have contracts like Martin, Moore, and Polaks to bring up, sure as hell means Lou is doing a fantastic job. Remember the days of Jason Blake, Mike Komisarek, David Clarkson, Francois Beauchimin, etcetc -- ohhh boy, it's nice to have an intelligent management group.

Never seen such outrage over 2.5 million dollar contracts, or contacts under a million for 1 year though, it's quite funny.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
All I know if that the fact that some people only have contracts like Martin, Moore, and Polaks to bring up, sure as hell means Lou is doing a fantastic job. Remember the days of Jason Blake, Mike Komisarek, David Clarkson, Francois Beauchimin, etcetc -- ohhh boy, it's nice to have an intelligent management group.

Never seen such outrage over 2.5 million dollar contracts, or contacts under a million for 1 year though, it's quite funny.

Don't forget when the Leafs gave Jeff freakin Finger the lottery of a lifetime.

Reactions: Kelly

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Even if you don't mind stupid contracts, these players are regulars in the line-up. That's messed up...

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Even if you don't mind stupid contracts, these players are regulars in the line-up. That's messed up...

Preaching to the choir my man.

7th in the league tho, we aight.

I mean it could be worse, paying Matthias over 2million for his mere 3 points, yikes.

Last edited:

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB

7th in the league tho, we aight. Appreciate the concern tho.

You’d be more concerned if you didn’t have 5 underwhelming teams in your division to pad the stats with.

7th in the Central (Chicago) is 5 points out of a playoff spot. 4th place in the Atlantic is 8 points out (with 4 games in hand) but the Atlantic is just pukey outside of TB and Boston

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You’d be more concerned if you didn’t have 5 underwhelming teams in your division to pad the stats with.

7th in the Central (Chicago) is 5 points out of a playoff spot. 4th place in the Atlantic is 8 points out (with 4 games in hand) but the Atlantic is just pukey outside of TB and Boston
Fake news.

Against Atlantic - 13 points
Against Metro - 20 points
Against Central - 12 points
Against Pacific - 22 points

Toronto Maple Leafs Schedule

Take a look for yourself, don't play Buffalo at all until next month and have lots of divisional games in the next month or two.

Quickly added it up myself, so may have an error somewhere in there. But yeah, Leafs haven't padded their stats whatsoever because of the division they play in. 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Head-to-Head Results | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Menzinger

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

I mean it could be worse, paying Matthias over 2million for his mere 3 points, yikes.
Mathias was given a 2 year contract so the Jets would have a forward to expose in the expansion draft. You are so clueless

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yeah that doesn't make that contract look any better lol.

It's a nothing contract anyway, but if your fellow fans are bringing up Martin, Moore, and Polak, it's damn fair to bring up Matthias and Mason. Both are all equally bad, for bad players.

Every team has them, every GM gives them, they aren't crippling contracts, basically not even worth mentioning. That's been my whole point.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It’s a contract that allowed us to keep Perreault/Little/Ehlers/Lowry etc so I’m not sure how you could possibly say it’s bad...

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It’s a contract that allowed us to keep Perreault/Little/Ehlers/Lowry etc so I’m not sure how you could possibly say it’s bad...
Leafs signed Ben Smith 675 000 for the same reason, Matthias is @ 2million.

Also, pretty sure Ehlers wasn't eligible, and you guys also had to trade back from 13th overall to 24th overall.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I'd disagree that Mason is a bad contract. He's been a reasonable starter for years now with a career .911 Sv%. Just for comparison sake, Pavelec is a career .907.
He's had a few stinkers like the season opener against the Leafs obviously, and he's been injured, but if he's even partly responsible for pushing Hellebuyck into the goalie he is today, that's worth every penny of that contract.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
These are stupid arguments about meaningless contracts lol.

The only one that could possibly be thought of as bad was Matt Martin's and that was only because it was 4 years long.

Reactions: Kelly

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg

Also, pretty sure Ehlers wasn't eligible, and you guys also had to trade back from 13th overall to 24th overall.

Took Vesalainen at 24th who's currently leading all rookies in points in the FEL and is near PPG at 18 years old. That's some scouting.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Matthias was signed mainly to meet the exposure requirements for the expansion draft. The Jets needed to have another forward signed for this season who met the eligibility requirements, that's the main reason he got a 2 year deal from the Jets. Jets liked Matthias enough and had a ton of cap space, so it was no big deal, but there was more than just roster considerations in his deal. I don't expect fans from other teams to know these intricacies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Jets needed to sign Matthias for eligibility. The swap of first round picks was to protect Lowry/Armia/Perreault. Both were reasonable deals. Matthias was useful last season, and overtaken this season by our youth. No big deal. Jets have a ton of cap space still. Leafs don't, and they are burning that cap hit on Smith in the minors. Expansion draft bit different teams in different ways.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah that doesn't make that contract look any better lol.

It's a nothing contract anyway, but if your fellow fans are bringing up Martin, Moore, and Polak, it's damn fair to bring up Matthias and Mason. Both are all equally bad, for bad players.

Every team has them, every GM gives them, they aren't crippling contracts, basically not even worth mentioning. That's been my whole point.
Jets have talented players to keep Matthias out of the line-up, and a top-end young goalie that beat Mason out for the starter's role. Leafs apparently can't find anyone to replace Polak or Martin...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad