17 Lindros
18 Francis
19 Dionne
20 Kariya

Last edited:

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
Where's Steve Yzerman:amazed: :confused:

He's probably at home in the Detroit area.

I did forget someone in the one of my lists. I forgot that Lidstrom is a captain. I'm going to redo my Top 10 best all-time Captain's List. Here is my new updated list.

Captains
1. Messier
2. Beliveau
3. Clarke
4. Sakic
5. Lidstrom
6. Chelios
7. Stevens
8. Francis
9. Mario
10. Bourque

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I did forget someone in the one of my lists. I forgot that Lidstrom is a captain. I'm going to redo my Top 10 best all-time Captain's List. Here is my new updated list.

Captains
1. Messier
2. Beliveau
3. Clarke
4. Sakic
5. Lidstrom
6. Chelios
7. Stevens
8. Francis
9. Mario
10. Bourque

Wow Lidstrom has been Captain for 5 or 6 games and is already on this list!!!!!! Above Mario Lemieux too and Ray Bourque! Nice One.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
modern forwards:

Lemieux
Gretzky
Howe
Jagr
Esposito
Lafleur
Sakic
Trottier
Clarke
Bo. Hull
Mikita
Bossy
Messier
Yzerman
Br. Hull
Fedorov
Forsberg
Lindsay
Francis
Selanne
Lindros
Kariya
Thornton
Kurri
Naslund
Please define "modern" for me. Because you have Lindsay and Howe, but not Richard, even though Richard played at the same time. And Beliveau started after Lindsay and Howe did, and you don't have Le Gros Bill on your list.

And I would sincerely hope that this is not in order. If you honestly think that Terrible Ted Lindsay, unquestionably the No. 2 LW of all-time, is below Forsberg, and especially Hull and Fedorov, you have serious problems. And if you think Lindsay is right above Francis, Selanne, Lindros, Kariya and Thornton, you have problems of SGY19 proportions.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Captains
1. Messier
2. Beliveau
3. Clarke
4. Sakic
5. Lidstrom
6. Chelios
7. Stevens
8. Francis
9. Mario
10. Bourque

Wow, Lidstrom isn't even close to the top ten let alone being in the top 5.

One player a lot of people underrate for his leadership is Phil Esposito. He was an outstanding leader in the 72 Summit Series.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
modern forwards:

Lemieux
Gretzky
Howe
Jagr
Esposito
Lafleur
Sakic
Trottier
Clarke
Bo. Hull
Mikita
Bossy
Messier
Yzerman
Br. Hull
Fedorov
Forsberg
Lindsay
Francis
Selanne
Lindros
Kariya
Thornton
Kurri
Naslund
You actually think that Naslund is the 25th best forward of the last 40 years. He won't get close to the HHOF. Bure and Linden are better than him. There are so many players that you left out that are better than him.

Ogopogo*

You actually think that Naslund is the 25th best forward of the last 40 years. He won't get close to the HHOF. Bure and Linden are better than him. There are so many players that you left out that are better than him.

You think Linden was better than Naslund!?!?!?!!?

:eek:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
You think Linden was better than Naslund!?!?!?!!?

Oh yeah. It's very close but I would give the edge to Linden and here's why. Linden was by far the better captain. He led the Canucks deep into the playoffs in 94. Naslund has only won one playoff round since being captain. Performance in the playoffs as well, Linden was a lot better. Linden actually elevates his play during the playoffs where as Naslund drops his play. Linden also brings defensive play and toughness to the table where Naslund doesn't. Offensively it's really not close because Naslund is better than him.

If I had to pick one player it would be Linden just because of his play in the playoffs.

Ogopogo*

Oh yeah. It's very close but I would give the edge to Linden and here's why. Linden was by far the better captain. He led the Canucks deep into the playoffs in 94. Naslund has only won one playoff round since being captain. Performance in the playoffs as well, Linden was a lot better. Linden actually elevates his play during the playoffs where as Naslund drops his play. Linden also brings defensive play and toughness to the table where Naslund doesn't. Offensively it's really not close because Naslund is better than him.

If I had to pick one player it would be Linden just because of his play in the playoffs.

Linden had one good playoff run and that makes him better than Naslund? I disagree.

Naslund had 3 of the best years back to back to back, in NHL history. Less than a dozen players have ever had 3 seasons that good consecutively. Many players have had one good playoff run.

Last edited by a moderator:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Linden had one good playoff run and that makes him better than Naslund? I disagree.

Naslund had 3 of the best years back to back to back, in NHL history. Less than a dozen players or less have ever had 3 seasons that good consecutively. Many players have had one good playoff run.

It's not just one playoff run. Linden has been a great playoff performer throughout his career. I would easily rather have Linden than Naslund on my team during a playoff run. Naslund is better than then Linden during the regular season but during the playoffs Linden is quite a bit better than Naslund.

It's very close but I would take Linden because of his leadership, defensive abilities, toughness but most importantly his play in the playoffs.

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
Wow, Lidstrom isn't even close to the top ten let alone being in the top 5.

One player a lot of people underrate for his leadership is Phil Esposito. He was an outstanding leader in the 72 Summit Series.

I disagree. Lidstrom is doing a great job leading the Red Wings. This team lost both Shanny and Yzerman, yet they are doing better than ever and they don't miss either one. The team hasn't missed a beat.

Randall Graves*

I disagree. Lidstrom is doing a great job leading the Red Wings. This team lost both Shanny and Yzerman, yet they are doing better than ever and they don't miss either one. The team hasn't missed a beat.
Better than ever? :biglaugh:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Most lists are pretty good in my oppinion. Only major thing I'm seeing is Paul Coffey as a top 6 defensemen ever? I don't even know if I'd put him top 10, let alone top 6. He was good offensively-but that's about it really. He wasn't as well round as a lot of guys.

My D list:

Orr
Harvey
Shore
Potvin
Bourque
Kelly

1datsyuk3*

"better than ever":biglaugh: do you even watch the games, we suck balls...

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
"better than ever":biglaugh: do you even watch the games, we suck balls...

I think their record so far is very deceptive. I think they are better than that. They aren't playing to their potential. I will admit they do miss Shanny, but they don't miss Yzerman. Even though Yzerman was Captain for longer, Lidstrom is a better captain. He's more of a leader.

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
Forwards
Alexander Mogilny
Alexander Ovechkin
Alexei Kovalev
Bobby Hull
Dany Heatley
Evgeni Malkin
Gordie Howe
Guy Lafleur
Ilya Kovalchuk
Jari Kurri
Jaromir Jagr
Joe Sakic
Luc Robitaille
Marian Gaborik
Mario Lemieux
Mats Sundin
Maurice Richard
Maxim Afinogenov
Michel Briere
Patrik Elias
Pavel Bure
Peter Forsberg
Phil Esposito
Ryan Smyth
Sidney Crosby
Steve Yzerman
Teemu Selanne
Wayne Gretzky

Defencemen
Bobby Orr
Brian Leetch
Bryan McCabe
Chris Chelios
Chris Pronger
Dion Phaneuf
Eric Desjardins
Lubomir Visnovsky
Mathieu Schneider
Nicklas Lidstrom
Raymond Bourque
Scott Niedermayer
Tommy Albelin
Uwe Krupp

Goalies
Curtis Joseph
Dominik Hasek
Dwayne Roloson
Evgeni Nabokov
Felix Potvin
Jocelyn Thibault
John Vandiesbrouck
Martin Brodeur
Miikka Kiprusoff
Milan Hnilicka
Olaf Kolzig
Patrick Roy
Roberto Luongo
Terry Sawchuk
Tony Esposito
Vladislav Tretiak

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think their record so far is very deceptive. I think they are better than that. They aren't playing to their potential. I will admit they do miss Shanny, but they don't miss Yzerman. Even though Yzerman was Captain for longer, Lidstrom is a better captain. He's more of a leader.

Back to the old game of making ridiculous comments about Yzerman eh? Fun stuff. in a similar vein.... Bobby Clarke didn't care about winning at all, Rocket Richard would have been better if only he had some intensity to his game, Bobby Hull could have been an All-Time Great if only for his lack of speed and Eddie Shore could have been greater if only he would have got his hands dirty and finally Gordie Howe was a brittle, injury prone player.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Erh?
4 Norris
3 Cups
7 First All Star
1 Conn Smythe

And that's not even close to top ten?

The poster meant top 10 captains, not top ten dmen. ;)

For dmen he is definetly top 10 or at least very close to it. For captains, I think we'll have to give him more than 10 games before we judge.

SGY19 said:
I think their record so far is very deceptive. I think they are better than that. They aren't playing to their potential. I will admit they do miss Shanny, but they don't miss Yzerman. Even though Yzerman was Captain for longer, Lidstrom is a better captain.He's more of a leader.

Wow, I've seen ridiculous stuff on HF, but this borders on choochian. He might be a good leader, I'm not in a position to judge, but in terms of captains, it's simply absurd to say he's better than Yzerman.

You even contradict yourself in your post. If Lidstrom is a great leader, why is his team is not motivated enough to play to its potential?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Erh?
4 Norris
3 Cups
7 First All Star
1 Conn Smythe

And that's not even close to top ten?

Like the previous poster said top ten captains and to be considered one of the best leaders we will have to play a lot more games as captain. As for top ten defencemen of all time I would put Lidstrom just outside the top ten.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Interesting concept. I'll bite. (Anything to get more debate going).

Goalies:
1) Hall
2) Hasek
3) Dryden
Note: No legitimate drop-off here. As good as it gets. I do have concerns about Hasek being compatible as a back-up. Sorry, Nalyd, but Hasek's attitude wasn't always his strong suit. Went with Dryden because nobody had a better eight-year run than Dryden. Individual awards + Cups = best run ever.

Defencemen:

Coffey-B. Park
Lidstrom-Fetisov
Horton-Chelios
Pilote
Notes: I have Fetisov and Chelios ahead of Coffey, but Coffey and Park get the nod for the top pairing due to offensive upside. Chelios and Horton were double-tough and incredibly difficult to play against. Pilote is ridiculously underrated - viewed as a transitional Norris winner between Harvey and Orr. He had terrific skill and a mean streak. An all-star eight straight years. No weaknesses among the second and third pairings.

Forwards:

Kharlamov-Morenz-Jagr
D. Moore-Esposito-Cook
Bucyk-Apps-Geoffrion
Gainey-Trottier-C. Conacher
Schmidt
Notes: The first line would have incredible speed and skill. Might have to break them up and put a gunner like Espo on the line. You really start to notice the decline in talent on the left side. Kharlamov's a legend, and Moore had an incredible peak, but there is a drop-off to Bucyk, who set position scoring records based on longevity. Gainey offers little offensive upside from the fourth line. I'd take Trottier ahead of Apps, but Apps moves up based on offensive upside. A lot of new fans will be upset to see Yzerman left off. But there are only so many centre spots to go around. Same thing for Sakic, M. Bentley and H. Richard. (Geez, I've already got the centres locked up for the No. 3 team). One name you won't see on my No. 2 or even No. 3 team: Marcel Dionne. Hockey's biggest choke artist.

Paul Coffey in the top 6 defensemen of all time is ridiculous, and even more ridiculous is excluding Bourque from top 5, let alone top 3.

Top 10 Defensemen:

Orr
Bourque
Shore
Harvey
Lidstrom
Robinson
Potvin
Chelios
Leetch, Pronger or Stevens

Paul Coffey could be the most overrated of defensemen all-time. I mean you should be able to play defense right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad