OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is Marvin Harrison though. Also, 3 WRs most likely will go before 9. Harrison to the Cards, Nabers to Chargers, Odunze to Giants.
Assuming no trades. I think Chargers more willing to drop to 11 with Minny than AZ would. AZ already has Houston's 1st and 3rd this draft, so have extra draft capital already. No WR in the MIN pick range to take and I think they want to get Murray a weapon. Best weapon at 11 probably Bowers, but considering Murray's size, is he a fit with a top end TE?

Chargers can get the 3rd best OL at pick 11, maybe 2nd depending on whether the Jets view their OL addiitons enough to get through this season and want a weapon for AR.

Chargers would hope for:
top 5 of 4QBs and Harrison JR.
6-10 of Nabers, Alt, Turner, Odunze, then up to Jets to decide what to do. OL or weapon.

So would have OL/Bowers to select from or 2nd choice of Defenders.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Very casual football fan here but the new rules for kickoffs seem fine to me. Less touchbacks and hopefully less head injuries from guys running 50 yards into each other.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Maye falls out of the top 10

Caleb QB
Daniels QB
JJ QB
Harrison WR
Nabers WR
Odunze WR
Alt OT
Turner EDGE

Bears choice of Verse, Latu, Fashanu

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It was costly. Traded #9 plus BOTH 2025 2nd rounders to move up to #4.

View attachment 843146

Cards are not passing on Harrison Jr or other prospects potentially at #4 for a pair of 2025 2nd's

#9 + Bears 2025 1st + One of those 2025 2nd's is what it would likely cost

And frankly its not worth it. Sure Harrison Jr is amazing prospect but Nabers/Odunze are not far behind and if Bears trade down from #9 spot for more picks there are other WR's the Bears could draft in late 1st or early 2nd

This is a pretty deep WR draft

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8128.png

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
There are worse problems to have, but I'm still pretty stoked that we're not sitting here looking at picks #2/3 and discussing which of Maye, Daniels or McCarthy the team will pick.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Absolutely LOVE how this draft turned out. Loaded up with 3 studs on the DL, beefed up the OL, while still giving Caleb weapons at WR and RB.
1000016709.jpg

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I’ll be very surprised if Chicago stays at 9.
It's an interesting spot. I think the vast majority of people have 5 blue chip players in this draft. QB1, WR1-3, OT1. Maybe 6 if you count Bowers. But it sounds like 4 non blue chippers could go top 8. Some people have the other QBs as blue chippers too, but that doesn't really affect pick #9.

Poles has talked at length about how he doesn't want to trade down out of range of a certain tier of players. If WR3 (MAYBE OT1), is there at #9 I think he picks him. If not, I could see him drop all the way down to mid to late teens.

blondu

Jun 3, 2016
I can't see a scenario where Bears draft Odunze. Not that he can't fall that late, it's just the Allen trade. It's not the Bears way to draft a wr when we already have 2 great wrs

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I can't see a scenario where Bears draft Odunze. Not that he can't fall that late, it's just the Allen trade. It's not the Bears way to draft a wr when we already have 2 great wrs
But he does draft possible replacements when a particular position is approachiing free agency. Poles drafted two CBs when JJ was up for a new contract and drafted two DL when Justin Jones was up.

The combination of Allen possibly being being difficult to extend along with DJ Moore needing a new contract after 2025 could certainly push Poles to needing a WR. Surely, if he doesn't draft a potential WR1/2 this year, he definitely will next year when he has 3 picks in the first two rounds.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
32 year old Keenan Allen with a 1 year contract doesn't preclude the Bears from taking a WR. In fact, I think Oduzne's timeline is perfect for the Bears.

Next year we have an elite skill position group to make Caleb's transition to the NFL as comfortable as possible.

Over the next 2-5 years we have an elite WR tandem in DJ and Odunze for Caleb

Once Odunze's rookie contract is up, DJ will be around 32 and we can let him go. We pay Odunze to be the guy on offense for Caleb and spend resources elsewhere because, ideally, we now have an elite QB who doesn't need as much help (most elite QBs have 1 elite position player so the team can invest in other places).

It's actually perfect imo.

blondu

Jun 3, 2016
But he does draft possible replacements when a particular position is approachiing free agency. Poles drafted two CBs when JJ was up for a new contract and drafted two DL when Justin Jones was up.

The combination of Allen possibly being being difficult to extend along with DJ Moore needing a new contract after 2025 could certainly push Poles to needing a WR. Surely, if he doesn't draft a potential WR1/2 this year, he definitely will next year when he has 3 picks in the first two rounds.
You spend a 4th on a one year guy when you're clearly not a contender. I can understand the reason of the trade, getting a great help for Caleb but i think Allen will stay with us for two more years. That's why i don't see Odunze here as much as i want it to.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I just don't see a DE at #9. If QB4 is still there, I think you trade down to 11-14 regardless if WR3 is there or not. If he isn't, I think the only way you pick a DE at #9 is if you have a massive medical flag on Latu, and even then you have 3 pass rushers in Turner, Verse and Murphy who could all fall to late teens (not including Newton although he might be an option too).

Of course, if the Bears think Verse is far and away the best pass rusher, they will and should take him. I just don't think he's excellent at either pass rushing or run defense. He feels like such a safe pick without immense upside at #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad