OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
You spend a 4th on a one year guy when you're clearly not a contender. I can understand the reason of the trade, getting a great help for Caleb but i think Allen will stay with us for two more years. That's why i don't see Odunze here as much as i want it to.
If Allen left after this year it's fine. It's a 4th, which is a small price to pay for helping your rookie QB acclimate to the NFL. Keeping 32 year old Allen isn't a priority, and certainly doesn't preclude the Bears from taking the BPA WR.
I just don't see a DE at #9. If QB4 is still there, I think you trade down to 11-14 regardless if WR3 is there or not. If he isn't, I think the only way you pick a DE at #9 is if you have a massive medical flag on Latu, and even then you have 3 pass rushers in Turner, Verse and Murphy who could all fall to late teens (not including Newton although he might be an option too).

Of course, if the Bears think Verse is far and away the best pass rusher, they will and should take him. I just don't think he's excellent at either pass rushing or run defense. He feels like such a safe pick without immense upside at #9.
Agreed. I think the order of operations is like:

Top 3 WR>Turner>Alt>Trade down>Bowers

Verse isn't even in the conversation without a significant trade down imo. He's like a mid-to-late round pick.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
1000016740.jpg

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Loading up the trenches draft:
1000016750.jpg

Absolute steals with the last 2 picks here:
1000016758.jpg

Trenches and giving Caleb a familiar
weapon:
1000016754.jpg

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I'm very anti-trade down unless JJ falls to us and someone overpays. Assuming JJ doesn't fall to us, we're guaranteed one of the WRs, Alt, or Turner. I'd rather take any of those then trade down. This team doesn't need depth at this point, it needs starts/blue chip guys. It made sense to trade down in the past to fill holes, but we don't really have many holes right now.

Take the star, then fill in the gaps going forward with (ideally) draft picks that aren't top-10. We have 2 2nds next year to patch up any weaknesses that emerge this year. We have plenty of time to draft in the high teens, this may be our last shot at the top 10 in awhile.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I'm very anti-trade down unless JJ falls to us and someone overpays. Assuming JJ doesn't fall to us, we're guaranteed one of the WRs, Alt, or Turner. I'd rather take any of those then trade down. This team doesn't need depth at this point, it needs starts/blue chip guys. It made sense to trade down in the past to fill holes, but we don't really have many holes right now.

Take the star, then fill in the gaps going forward with (ideally) draft picks that aren't top-10. We have 2 2nds next year to patch up any weaknesses that emerge this year. We have plenty of time to draft in the high teens, this may be our last shot at the top 10 in awhile.
YEP.

I do not want the Bears to trade down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idionym and Pez68

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Allen left after this year it's fine. It's a 4th, which is a small price to pay for helping your rookie QB acclimate to the NFL. Keeping 32 year old Allen isn't a priority, and certainly doesn't preclude the Bears from taking the BPA WR.
You also need to consider the overall cap on the team and who would be up for contracts next off-season. How much less does Allen take on his next contract from the $23.1 mill he's making in 2024? You won't tag him, so he will be a complete free agent. Maybe he doesn't like the cold weather as he went to school at Cal and played for the Chargers in SD and LA.
Chicago doesn't have to take a WR this draft in round 1. If they end up with a DE that's also fine. They can always look for a WR in 2025, plus they currently have 2 seconds in 2025 to use to get one.

Reactions: Idionym

blondu

Jun 3, 2016
You also need to consider the overall cap on the team and who would be up for contracts next off-season. How much less does Allen take on his next contract from the $23.1 mill he's making in 2024? You won't tag him, so he will be a complete free agent. Maybe he doesn't like the cold weather as he went to school at Cal and played for the Chargers in SD and LA.
Chicago doesn't have to take a WR this draft in round 1. If they end up with a DE that's also fine. They can always look for a WR in 2025, plus they currently have 2 seconds in 2025 to use to get one.
Thing is the top 4,5 wrs in this draft are so proven are juicy on paper. Id rather risk it and trade up somehow to get a wr (a second pick)than wait for the next year.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Texans trading for Diggs, giving Stroud another weapon. I think Diggs has dropped off a bit, but that's still an exciting offense. Hopefully that's what the Bears do in a year or two if Williams looks good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thing is the top 4,5 wrs in this draft are so proven are juicy on paper. Id rather risk it and trade up somehow to get a wr (a second pick)than wait for the next year.
At this point, it would seem like 4QBs and 2WRs and Alt the OT should go off the board in the first 7 picks. Really on ATL and if they do end up trading down if another team is looking to jump the Bears for that WR3. ATL on paper should not require an Offensive player, but who knows.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bills WR group looks pretty poor now, they need to draft multiple WR's at this point.

I understand why they probably did this (Diggs is diva and not as good as he was a few years ago) but he still had nearly 1,200 yards + 8 TD's and was by far still most dangerous non-Allen part of offense.

Bills D is ? so this adds to issues for team, the window even with Allen in place may be closing

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Actual draft I did over the past 3 days with guys from another board:

1. Williams QB
11. Fashanu, OT(trade down)
69. Malachi Corley, WR
108. Christian Mahogany, IOL
122. Mohamed Kamara, EDGE
129. DeWayne Carter, DT

Status
Not open for further replies.