GDT: WCSF GM01 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Wed. May 8th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | In Arturs We Trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
I see a lot of Canucks fans expecting that their star playes will have much easier time against Edmonton than they did against Nashville. It could be true, but:

It's playoff hockey. EVERY team plays very tight checking defence. Every inch of the ice is contested, no matter what team you are playing. That is not going to change. And Oilers are a very good defensive team by almost any measure. They allow fairly little in terms of shots and chances against and played very tight defensive hockey against Kings if you actually watched the games.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Please don't wake the bear. If you wake it it won't eat only you. It'll eat all of us. :laugh:
Maximum hatred and rivalry is the way this series is the most fun. I WILL poke every bear on that Coilers team. I'd even poke Ethan Bear if he still played for them.

He is a handsome fella.
And I've said it before but I don't even hate any of the Canucks players.
They are all pretty chill. Quite the difference from the rat party over a decade ago.

Found it. Almost 5 years ago.
Hey, watch what you say about my beloved rats.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Steve Kozari and Kyle Rehman are confirmed as the refs, I'm sure HF will take this news with humility and rational reactions.
The last game they reffed together with the Nucks was actually a decently reffed game (I started keeping track due to how bad it has been again this year). I gave them a +2 on my -3 to +3 scale and to have a + game is pretty rare. Means they didn't get in the way too much and didn't miss too much.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I'd even poke Ethan Bear if he still played for them
1715200486525.gif

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Like I understand why Oilers are the favorite because of McDavid.

But people just ignore that the horrible, horrendous, no good Kings outplayed the Oilers overall at 5v5 last series. I don't know how you get outplayed by the Kings but the Oilers managed to.

If you avoid taking penalties against the pp championships then you definitely can beat them.

What's your definition of outplaying them? Chucking more rubber toward the net than them?..

That might be the only description that fits.

In terms of actual scoring chances and quality of play, EDM clearly had the edge at even strength and those chances put pressure on kings forcing them to take penalties and letting their pp to go to work

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Like I understand why Oilers are the favorite because of McDavid.

But people just ignore that the horrible, horrendous, no good Kings outplayed the Oilers overall at 5v5 last series
. I don't know how you get outplayed by the Kings but the Oilers managed to.

If you avoid taking penalties against the pp championships then you definitely can beat them.
Based on which criteria?
(honest question. Would like to see some stats / analysis)

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
The last game they reffed together with the Nucks was actually a decently reffed game (I started keeping track due to how bad it has been again this year). I gave them a +2 on my -3 to +3 scale and to have a + game is pretty rare. Means they didn't get in the way too much and didn't miss too much.
I thought it was pretty good too.

Something I'm encouraged by is that Rick Tocchet said in an interview I saw that before round two began that the eight remaining coaches had a meeting with Bill Daly who said embellishment and diving are going to be cracked down on in the playoffs. That's encouraging I think from our point of view. I'll see if I can find the interview.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
They’re more likely to put up 9 than Canucks 6.
As a fan of both teams, this is the least true thing anybody could say. Canucks defense all year has been consistently pretty great and is clearly the team strength. They've also the star power to easily spot up 6 against weaker defensive teams.

Oddly enough, it was the Canucks who put up 8 against the Oilers earlier in the year.

Canucks have been scored on 6 or more times a total of 4 times over 88 games this season.

They've scored 6 or more 8 times. They also have a very large amount of 5 goal games.

Ironically, 2 of those 6 goal games are against the Oilers.

I thought it was pretty good too.

Something I'm encouraged by is that Rick Tocchet said in an interview I saw that before round two began that the eight remaining coaches had a meeting with Bill Daly who said embellishment and diving are going to be cracked down on in the playoffs. That's encouraging I think from our point of view. I'll see if I can find the interview.
They called embellishment against Dallas in game 1 so that's also promising. Good call too.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Found the video about Tocchet addressing diving. And I mistakenly said Bill Daly. I should have said Colin Campbell.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As a fan of both teams, this is the least true thing anybody could say. Canucks defense all year has been consistently pretty great and is clearly the team strength. They've also the star power to easily spot up 6 against weaker defensive teams.

Oddly enough, it was the Canucks who put up 8 against the Oilers earlier in the year.

Canucks have been scored on 6 or more times a total of 4 times over 88 games this season.

They've scored 6 or more 8 times. They also have a very large amount of 5 goal games.

200w.gif

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I see a lot of Canucks fans expecting that their star playes will have much easier time against Edmonton than they did against Nashville. It could be true, but:

It's playoff hockey. EVERY team plays very tight checking defence. Every inch of the ice is contested, no matter what team you are playing. That is not going to change. And Oilers are a very good defensive team by almost any measure. They allow fairly little in terms of shots and chances against and played very tight defensive hockey against Kings if you actually watched the games.
Oilers allowed 29 shots per game in the first round and they allowed 28.1 per game during the regular season. Quality of shots aside, it seems that Oilers didn't do much to suppress shots specifically (perhaps they did suppress more high danger shots).

Canucks 4th most offensive player (Boeser 73 pts) would be tied for 2nd on Kings and only 2 points back of their leader.

I have 100% confidence that Canucks will get more shots and chances against Edmonton than they did against Nashville.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Oilers allowed 29 shots per game in the first round and they allowed 28.1 per game during the regular season. Quality of shots aside, it seems that Oilers didn't do much to suppress shots specifically (perhaps they did suppress more high danger shots).

Canucks 4th most offensive player (Boeser 73 pts) would be tied for 2nd on Kings and only 2 points back of their leader.

I have 100% confidence that Canucks will get more shots and chances against Edmonton than they did against Nashville.
Which ranked 5th lowest in the league..?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Which ranked 5th lowest in the league..?
But you specifically said things tighten up in the playoffs. Obviously, Oilers didn't tighten up. Oilers continued to play their puck possession game. Nashville did not play in the postseason the way they did throughout the season.

Therefore, if Oilers keep doing what they've always done, Canucks will get more chances, and with better finishers than Kings, will produce more.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yeah that whole Nashville group of D led by Josi and McDonagh was just suffocating. A lot of credit to the Nashville forwards who play a great defensive game too.
Obviously the Oilers offense is on a whole other level but it should be easier for the Canucks to generate offense.

You know that statistically the Oilers are a better defensive team than the Predators right?
Literally had less goals against.

And the Kings were a better defensive team than the Canucks?
Literally had less goals against.

This series will be determined by offense.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
In game 4 and 5 kings looked amazing. Better then van did against Nashville. Seemed like the dumb coach said screw the 1-3-1 it's clearly not working against a fast goal scoring team like Edmonton (I said this months ago they'd get killed by Edmonton or Colorado). The kings played very fast hard hitting games but the oilers kept them to the outside and they could not beat Skinner in game 4.

I get it fans hate the oilers I do to and they just want to believe. That's fine. But people are not picking Edmonton just because everyone hates VC paranoia. They don't have demko, petey was a no show, the pp was not good, they struggled to score goals against Nashville. And Edmonton has two of the best players in the world and controlled the first round. It's up to this team to play better and prove everyone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad