OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You can likely replicate the impact the top pass rushers in this draft will produce for this upcoming year with some of the names that are still out there in FA. So if all you're worried about is immediate need there isn't necessarily a reason to spend a top 10 pick on a lesser talent when someone like Alt is available (again, he won't be). Same goes for Odunze/Nabers.

They do need to address the long-term outlook at edge so I wouldn't be mad at the pick if it's Turner or Verse. But this may not be the ideal draft to do it when the premiere talents are at other high-value positions

Ah so Poles failed strategy from last year when he brought in Walker and Ngakoue?

Its nonsense and Turner is not lesser talent. He is top pass rusher in this draft forecast to go in same range as Alt

Its time for Bears to draft a pass rusher and stop relying on fixes in FA or trade. Its been problem for years not having and developing a pass rusher

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If the team is looking for a pass rusher, I'd trade down and look at the remaining player of Turner/Verse/Latu/Murphy over picking at #9. If they think one of those players is obviously better than the others (now or in 1-2 years), they should and will pick that one at #9.

I think the top 3 WRs are much and obviously better than DE1. I don't think it's close.

I'd be surprised if DE1 and WR3 are both on the board at #9. I'm not sure what the Falcons would have done in that case (Murphy II maybe?)

Reactions: Sarava and Idionym

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ah so Poles failed strategy from last year when he brought in Walker and Ngakoue?

Its nonsense and Turner is not lesser talent. He is top pass rusher in this draft forecast to go in same range as Alt

Its time for Bears to draft a pass rusher and stop relying on fixes in FA or trade. Its been problem for years not having and developing a pass rusher
Seriously, who is the last successful pass rusher they have drafted and developed? Alex Brown?

Ngakoue wasn't very good, but he at least provided something on the other side. Once he was out for the season, Sweat's impact nosedived. Need some juice there.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seriously, who is the last successful pass rusher they have drafted and developed? Alex Brown?

Ngakoue wasn't very good, but he at least provided something on the other side. Once he was out for the season, Sweat's impact nosedived. Need some juice there.

Brown really wasn't a pass rusher. He was more an all-around DE who's highest sack total was a season with 7

Trace Armstrong would be last true topflight pass rusher the Bears drafted and developed

Spellman showed promise before mental health issues

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019

But Poles' failed strategy was bringing in two mediocre pass rushers with no high end threat, this year Sweat is already in place. It's not really the same situation. I agree in principle with what you're saying, it's just that the consensus I've seen is that Alt really is a different caliber of prospect than Turner and is being pushed down the board a bit because this is a draft with a lot of QB-needy teams at the top and a couple of the best WR prospects in living memory.

Turner is probably being pushed up the board if anything because bad teams are always desperate for pass rushers. He's unpolished despite his immense physical talents and may not be a guy who projects to make a huge impact in year one. That doesn't mean they absolutely shouldn't draft him, they do need to address the position long term. Maybe he is enough of an athletic freak to simply overwhelm teams in combination with Sweat right from the jump.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Dallas Turner scares me....had a great season. Was underwhelming the year before with Will Anderson. I get a bit of bust vibes. I wouldn't be too thrilled if they picked him at #9.

My position is Alt or one of the 3 WR's at #9 - and if they're all gone, trade down.

Reactions: Romang67

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB

Failed stategy seems pretty over the top considering the team he inherited.
Poles had maybe 3 decent position groups when he took over. You cant overhaul the whole team instantly

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Dallas Turner scares me....had a great season. Was underwhelming the year before with Will Anderson. I get a bit of bust vibes. I wouldn't be too thrilled if they picked him at #9.

My position is Alt or one of the 3 WR's at #9 - and if they're all gone, trade down.
Dallas Turner DOES NOT scare me at all. I get the concerns but Turner is going to be really good. The ONLY three guys I want the Bears to considered at 9 would be (in no order) Odunze, Turner or Alt. If none of those three are available at 9, I suggest trading down.

Reactions: Idionym

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It seems this would eliminate the onside kick - was that addressed?

Banned surprise onside kicks and teams can only attempt onside kicks in 4th qtr and trailing. All teams must declare before kick when they will attempt onside kick as well

And teams are limited to just two onside kick attempts in a game

Teams can utilize an unbalanced formation (6 guys to one side) when attempting onside kick

• Haha
Reactions: ndgt10

Crow

May 19, 2014
You guys have any thoughts about banning the hip drop tackle? I haven’t looked into it too much yet but my initial reaction is that I hate it. It just seems like another opportunity to neuter defensive play and/or make a terrible, game changing, poor penalty call.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
You guys have any thoughts about banning the hip drop tackle? I haven’t looked into it too much yet but my initial reaction is that I hate it. It just seems like another opportunity to neuter defensive play and/or make a terrible, game changing, poor penalty call.
Don’t think it will be that big of a deal

Reactions: Crow

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Meh on the new kickoff rules.

And Goodell is drunk on power for the XMas day games, especially on a Wednesday. I don't like games (NBA or otherwise)on Christmas and thus I ignore those games.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It's a fairly uncommon tackle. About 1% of all tackles last season were swivel hip-drop tackles (non-swivel hip-drops are still allowed). And that was while it was a legal play.

Combine that with a very high injury rate, and I'm perfectly fine with banning it. Will the refs screw it up from time to time? Probably. But that doesn't make banning it a bad idea.

Reactions: Crow

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
1000016657.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad