OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Who would excite you
Quite frankly, nobody. If the Bears keep Fields, then a guy like Dorsey would work. If the Bears go for Caleb Williams in the draft, then a guy like Kingsbury would work. I think ultimately Flus is going to go with familiarity and go with Frank Reich.

Looks like the Bears are interested in Tommy Rees, OC of Alabama,
Where you hear that?

Are you surprised?
Yes and no, if that make sense.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I'd assume most of the better OCs are being considered for a head coaching position. If they don't get that HC job, they'll likely stay where they are and not make a lateral move. So Bears will have to pick somebody with a lesser prominent resume or a former, now unemployed OC. In other words, prepare to be disapponted.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I'd assume most of the better OCs are being considered for a head coaching position. If they don't get that HC job, they'll likely stay where they are and not make a lateral move. So Bears will have to pick somebody with a lesser prominent resume or a former, now unemployed OC. In other words, prepare to be disapponted.

Correct

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

If you don't have time to watch a 7 and a half minute video (or don't want to get your hopes up before the Bears break your heart) at least watch the first play. How many times in 3 years now has Fields evaded pressure by taking a quick step up in the pocket? The take that Williams leaves the pocket at the first sign of pressure is nonsense. He evades pressure INSIDE the pocket and stays there all the time.

On the OC search:

Waldron is from the McVay coaching tree and revitalized Geno Smith's career. I think he would be good. 4200 yards last year, 3600 yards this year, 50 passing TDs to 20 interceptions over the past 2 seasons.

And that's despite a bad offensive line.

I think he's a really good option. Especially for a team that wants to foster more of a passing attack with a new QB.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

If you don't have time to watch a 7 and a half minute video (or don't want to get your hopes up before the Bears break your heart) at least watch the first play. How many times in 3 years now has Fields evaded pressure by taking a quick step up in the pocket? The take that Williams leaves the pocket at the first sign of pressure is nonsense. He evades pressure INSIDE the pocket and stays there all the time.

On the OC search:

Waldron is from the McVay coaching tree and revitalized Geno Smith's career. I think he would be good. 4200 yards last year, 3600 yards this year, 50 passing TDs to 20 interceptions over the past 2 seasons.

And that's despite a bad offensive line.

I think he's a really good option. Especially for a team that wants to foster more of a passing attack with a new QB.

If you hire the guy who's reputation is he turned around a vet QB, why do you think they would draft a rookie with him?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Last year was a deep at WR... not too much drop off from JSN to the third round, the year before was huge at the top, and a ton of intriguing, toolsy guys in rounds 2-4. This year though, I don't think there is much after the first 4-5 guys. Edge might get a starter in the early 2nd round.

Good draft for O-line and CB depth
I think it's crazy deep and strong. Last year it felt like every single guy except for JSN and Q. Johnston was a small guy with good speed. This year it feels like every other guy has size, length, and speed.

The top 3 this year I'd say would be clear QB1 last year.

Then you have guys like Thomas Jr, Franklin, Coleman who will all probably go in the 1st round in a strong draft. Tall deep threats with plenty of speed.

Then you have a group of ~5 or so who still would rank favorably to the tier 2 receivers before the draft last season.

This draft is so strong on WR that I'm honestly thinking that it might be worthwhile to drop down from 9 and pick up an extra pick and draft a receiver either later in the first or in the second, even though that might mean you miss out on Odunze or Nabers. And I'm very high on both those players.

If you hire the guy who's reputation is he turned around a vet QB, why do you think they would draft a rookie with him?
His reputation is that he made a written off QB into a viable starting QB in the league off of a strong passing attack. They'd draft a rookie with him because his experience in the passing game, and how good of a passer Geno Smith looked like with him at OC.

I don't think they'd pick him and go with Fields because his passing attack is too heavy for someone who hesitates to pass the ball.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
...This draft is so strong on WR that I'm honestly thinking that it might be worthwhile to drop down from 9 and pick up an extra pick and draft a receiver either later in the first or in the second, even though that might mean you miss out on Odunze or Nabers. And I'm very high on both those players....
From a draft value chart, you could trade #9 for something like #25 and #55-ish. Add the trade of Fields for another second (e.g. #33) and Bears could come out looking pretty good; two 1st + two 2nd......... CW + WR, center/safety, edge(?)

Reactions: Romang67

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
you'd rather have a kid with that kind of arm talent that needs to be taught/told/coached to play in structure more than a kid that can play in structure but has no arm talent...

caleb's big thing will just be less hero ball, don't think its a processing issue for him as evidenced by his td/int ratio, but you also don't want to coach all the hero ball out of him because thats where the mahomes comp comes in and what could make him a special player, they'll need to learn to live with the bad like teams do with mahomes, lamar, josh allen etc, as long as the good is elite elite..

the best qbs in the league are fearless wrt to making mistakes, they feel they can make every throw so they need to keep that in caleb from the start, sort of why they should start from scratch with a staff that isn't half way out the door where caleb's growth (mistakes) probably means their job but thats a different conversation...you really don't want that dynamic starting from game 1 if things get off to a rough start

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

throws like this why he goes one even though daniels just cooked this season, not going to be a conversation with that kind of arm talent unless he bombs his interviews or something

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
you'd rather have a kid with that kind of arm talent that needs to be taught/told/coached to play in structure more than a kid that can play in structure but has no arm talent...

caleb's big thing will just be less hero ball, don't think its a processing issue for him as evidenced by his td/int ratio, but you also don't want to coach all the hero ball out of him because thats where the mahomes comp comes in and what could make him a special player, they'll need to learn to live with the bad like teams do with mahomes, lamar, josh allen etc, as long as the good is elite elite..

the best qbs in the league are fearless wrt to making mistakes, they feel they can make every throw so they need to keep that in caleb from the start, sort of why they should start from scratch with a staff that isn't half way out the door where caleb's growth (mistakes) probably means their job but thats a different conversation...you really don't want that dynamic starting from game 1 if things get off to a rough start
Then they already messed up keeping Flus. He was on record preaching to Fields not to turn the ball over. Fields said it himself. That's the worst way to get a young QB comfortable. They need to learn what's their window like in the NFL. Now, next season, Flus will be on a playoff mandate...

Damn, they did it again.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Then they already messed up keeping Flus. He was on record preaching to Fields not to turn the ball over. Fields said it himself. That's the worst way to get a young QB comfortable. They need to learn what's their window like in the NFL. Now, next season, Flus will be on a playoff mandate...

Damn, they did it again.
yeah but flus held the fort down when he lost 14 straight as a head coach

Reactions: Pez68 and Idionym

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
best tape out of all the qbs in 23 though imo...some team might get a gift with daniels and nabers falling potentially outside the top 5

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think it's crazy deep and strong. Last year it felt like every single guy except for JSN and Q. Johnston was a small guy with good speed. This year it feels like every other guy has size, length, and speed.

The top 3 this year I'd say would be clear QB1 last year.

Then you have guys like Thomas Jr, Franklin, Coleman who will all probably go in the 1st round in a strong draft. Tall deep threats with plenty of speed.

Then you have a group of ~5 or so who still would rank favorably to the tier 2 receivers before the draft last season.

This draft is so strong on WR that I'm honestly thinking that it might be worthwhile to drop down from 9 and pick up an extra pick and draft a receiver either later in the first or in the second, even though that might mean you miss out on Odunze or Nabers. And I'm very high on both those players.

His reputation is that he made a written off QB into a viable starting QB in the league off of a strong passing attack. They'd draft a rookie with him because his experience in the passing game, and how good of a passer Geno Smith looked like with him at OC.

I don't think they'd pick him and go with Fields because his passing attack is too heavy for someone who hesitates to pass the ball.
Not alot of production though. Don't think there will be a Rice or Pickens or Puka or Doubs or Reed to be ready to be a 1 or 2 right away like we've seen the last two years. Well, combine hasn't happened yet, still plenty of time for guys to pop out.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Not alot of production though. Don't think there will be a Rice or Pickens or Puka or Doubs or Reed to be ready to be a 1 or 2 right away like we've seen the last two years. Well, combine hasn't happened yet, still plenty of time for guys to pop out.
this class is considered especially good at receiver, not so much at rb...there are like 6-7 guys likely to go 1st round and then some pretty intruiging guys like worthy, troy franklin etc that will go in middle rounds... a lot of it is about landing spots, the guys you listed have good passing offenses outside pickens, and he hasn't really met the preseason hype of his draft year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad