Battlefield 1 - Charging Tanks on Horses Since 1914

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Tank drivers and pilots are a class you have to select and they don't get gear as good as infantry outside the vehicle. Good choice.

Is this not commonplace in prior games(and other series)? i mean it totally wouldn't surprise me that it's not but it just seems like such a no brainer.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Is this not commonplace in prior games(and other series)? i mean it totally wouldn't surprise me that it's not but it just seems like such a no brainer.

Nope, it's not commonplace. It makes a ton of sense though.

Previous classes were really just your support kit - healing, repairing, ammo refill, or useless (snipers --- half kidding because 90% of snipers don't know how to play objectives :laugh:). They also affected what types of weapons are available, but that's been less and less true over the past few iterations.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

No, for the longest time you just either walk up to a vehicle and take it or in recent games, you can spawn directly into it. But you can use your much needed attack chopper as a disposable taxi to your favorite sniper spot in Battlefield 4. By making it a direct spawn AND a class of sorts by itself, they prevent this. During the stream, you could see a few pilots that had bailed and had what looked like pistol/melee only.

You can repair your tank from inside now but it renders you completely unable to do anything else. You can still hop in to a passing vehicle or steal one, but to start with one you have to be whatever the tank class is.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

My only complaint is the stupid lady voice saying you've lost an objective. Hope you can turn that off.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Still pretty funny to see a tank roll by with SnoopDogg in it. :laugh:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
So does anyone know if there is a cap on players spawning as pilots or tank drivers at a given time or can there literally be 32 vs 32 plane or tank battles on conquest maps? Something tells me there'd be a cap, but it should be more than 2 vs 2 planes imo.

On a side note I hope they do a good job with the plane crashing animations. I know it's pre alpha, but one thing that kind of irked me with BF4 was seeing unrealistic plane crashes/collisions. If the wing of a plane hits an object or the ground, then that part of the plane should break off or be destroyed. This game brags/prides itself on having super realistic explosions and animations every time they release a new installment, yet falls short with stuff like this and it draws me out of the experience. Idk, maybe I'm just being too nitpicky here.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

WW1 game without the French or Russians

Going to be DLC. Sigh.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Going to be DLC. Sigh.

The Italians? Do they have a special ability to switch sides when they are losing? Wonder if British means commonwealth by extension because if there is Vimy Ridge and there's not a single word about Canada I will actually be upset.

I don't know why you would want to be the Russians. How they didn't lose sooner is a mystery. We rightfully criticize Stalin and the Soviets for not being prepared/under armed. The Russian WWI army was equally as bad if not worse.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Leaving out Russia is both dumb and could possibly be accurate. Their participation in the war changed the course of things in favor of the Germans temporarily and led to the birth of the Soviet Union.

You could actually use the excuse of "well this takes place after Lenin siezed power and signed the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk" for the Russians since that took them out of the war. This would also make sense since the US already had boots on the ground in Europe by that time and were playing a prominent role.

But nah, it's probably just because "money"

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So does anyone know if there is a cap on players spawning as pilots or tank drivers at a given time or can there literally be 32 vs 32 plane or tank battles on conquest maps? Something tells me there'd be a cap, but it should be more than 2 vs 2 planes imo.

I can't imagine that the new ability to spawn in a vehicle will eliminate the cap on the number of vehicles that Battlefield has always had. I imagine that you'll be able to spawn in a vehicle only if one is available and, if one isn't, you'll be given the option of spawning on foot or choosing a different class. That would discourage too many people from spawning as pilots or tank drivers.

They obviously feel that the Ottoman player base is larger and more worthy of marketing to than the French and Russians.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Leaving out Russia is fine. The Germans steamrolled them and only didn't completely break them because they were fighting multiple fronts. Now if their leadership had been better the world would look a lot different today, but that's another story.

French, I kinda get it. They fought in the same battlefields as Britain, America, and Germany. You literally can't release a game without America and Germany, and despite it being French land Britain is more iconic. Plus French gear really isn't that much different from British. Italy being included over them makes sense because Italy was Austria-Hungary's main enemy and Italy fought a lot in the mountains. If you want a MP map in the Austrian alps you need Italy, because no other ally fought around there. I'd say no France just allows them more diversity in battlefields. Same logic goes for why the Ottomans are in. Ottomans gives them both Anatolia and Middle East to make maps out of.

But anyways, the game looks really good. I might have to buy it.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I can't imagine that the new ability to spawn in a vehicle will eliminate the cap on the number of vehicles that Battlefield has always had. I imagine that you'll be able to spawn in a vehicle only if one is available and, if one isn't, you'll be given the option of spawning on foot or choosing a different class. That would discourage too many people from spawning as pilots or tank drivers.

I've looked more into it a bit and I guess there are two to three spots on some of the air vehicles (obviously varies between types planes), so it looks like there will be opportunity there to spawn in that class even if you can't be the one flying it.

Same with the tanks even more so. Don't know of what the cap will be for them, but I've seen some vehicles able to carry five people.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've looked more into it a bit and I guess there are two to three spots on some of the air vehicles (obviously varies between types planes), so it looks like there will be opportunity there to spawn in that class even if you can't be the one flying it.

That's a good point. Hopefully, they indicate whether there's already a driver/pilot in the vehicle, though. It'd be annoying to spawn as one, only to discover that someone else beat you to the controls and you're just going to have to be a passenger. In that case, many may just prefer to take a different class.

Dogewow said:
Same with the tanks even more so. Don't know of what the cap will be for them, but I've seen some vehicles able to carry five people.

I've heard it mentioned that personnel transports won't require tank drivers; anyone can drive those. Vehicles requiring special skills may be naturally limited to ones that can't hold more than a few people, since I imagine that those early tanks may be low capacity (someone correct me if wrong) and the planes, obviously, were only single- or double-seaters.

Sep 19, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamePhysic...efield_1_closed_alpha_switching_seats_upside/

uNLB4rd.gif

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Made me laugh. :laugh:

But in all seriousness that really should be fixed. Make it so you can't switch if the plane is upside-down or at a certain angle. Or just let you fall out.

Said it before, this game brags about realism and makes a big deal about new realistic features, (time it takes to get in and out of a vehicle) but overlook something basic like this. Hopefully its just an alpha issue. Gonna **** a chicken if they let this get into the real game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad