Battlefield 1 - Charging Tanks on Horses Since 1914

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There's so many ways they can go with the campaign too. It's already said the story will be semi-fictional. That's fine, i dig alternate history fiction stuff.

You could do a bunch of stuff; What if the Schlieffen Plan actually worked like the Germans intended? The game could start in Paris with the allies having to break through (or liberate) France from Germany and then having to take the fight to them. What if the Germans don't roll the dice on sending Lenin back to Russia to jumpstart full on rebellion? Russia stays in the fight. Or even better; what if Lenin is sent back, but aligns the Russians with Germany? So many possibilities.

So pumped for this. Looks like it was made with so much thought and care compared to the junk COD: Mass Effect edition.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I will say, I'm very interested in this. Glad they went to something that hasn't been touched too much in mainstream games and it seems to be a good chance of pace for BF games. I may really be into this kind of thing :).

I really don't like the name much though.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think i seen a knight with a machine gun too. :laugh:

That shows the research they did. World War I was kind of a learning experience for countries on how to fight modern wars. That's why stuff like metal armor and cavalrymen were used despite being largely irrelevant against the newer, more efficient tech. It was the coming of age of humanity's bloodlust.

The more i watch the trailer, the more excited i get.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think that the music choice was on purpose conveying to the players that you won't just be an American. You'll be French, English, German, Palestinian, etc.

There's a lot of depth and variety there. Most people just assume it was nothing but bolt action rifles and trenches but that's completely wrong.

It looks a lot more interesting than CoD, I'll give them that.

I think i seen a knight with a machine gun too. :laugh:

Primitive body armor in WW1 was essentially steel plates.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's also a stronger focus on melee combat, Berlin said. In fact, DICE designed the hand-to-hand combat from the ground up for Battlefield 1, complete with a bayonet-charge ability, Sabres, trench clubs, and even shovels.

As for how DICE is using the time period to further the game's mechanics, Berlin said the period is rife with new technology.

"This was the first time ever that people saw light tanks, heavy tanks, armored trucks," he said. "If you pop your head up from a trench and see a tank about to roll over you--you should get out of there."

Battlefield 1's air combat will be just as nuanced, with dogfights, bombing raids, and strafing runs.

"We have bombers to clear the way for your troops," he said. "If you're in a bomber, you might want to have a buddy scouting, covering you from the ground.

"You can have these dogfights, with multiple people in planes--your buddy is in the rear seat shooting back at that guy while you fly alongside a bomber clearing the way for your troops."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-1s-multiplayer-reemphasizes-land-air-a/1100-6439576/

Assault and medic separated :yo:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I'm all for this, and haven't been a fps fan for years now. Something different and interesting for once!

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Take my money right now. That trailer was amazing. Off to pre-order, this is a much needed shift in grars from the modern shooter.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm shocked, but a little less shocked than I was a few minutes ago, now that I see that it's not Battlefield 5 or a main entry in the series. It does appear to be a spin-off, like Hardline was, since it uses the same 3-year-old Frostbite 3 engine that Hardline and Battlefield 4 did. Even still, it's really, really nice to get a WWI game at all.

So, the soldier in the teaser was looking up at a zeppelin, not a Titan (from Battlefield 2142). I hope that they make the zeppelins out a bit like the Titans, though... letting you pilot them, fire guns from them and launch planes from them. If they don't, they'll miss a golden opportunity.

This sets up quite the difference this Fall between a Call of Duty that's futuristic and a Battlefield set during the first modern war. It certainly won't be like some past years, when the newest games from each franchise seemed really similar. You could buy and alternate between both games and get completely different experiences. CoD: IF is going to whip the tar out of BF1 in sales, but that's OK, since BF1 is a spin-off and WWI isn't going to appeal to as many gamers.

Finally, what I hope that this is is a prelude to a return to WWII. There will be a lot of demand for that after this and it would make a lot of sense, chronologically. I could see a modern/futuristic Battlefield 5 based on an all-new Frostbite 4 engine being released Fall 2017, then a spin-off of that with a WWII theme (i.e. a sequel to Battlefield 1942) being released Fall 2018. This is what I'd like to see DICE do. If they're going to constrain the main entries in the series to modern themes, at least give us historical themes as spin-offs in the odd years.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
WW1 theme seems ridiculous. How will you be able to explore the map when it's trench warfare? Where's the levelution?

These guys are going off exploring:

sj8qohs2yc6xbxpx1bmm.jpg

WWI wasn't all sitting in trenches and pounding away with artillery.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
WWI wasn't all sitting in trenches and pounding away with artillery.

Like I said in the other thread that was asking if we wanted another WWII FPS there is actually quite a lot more to the First World War than sitting in trenches getting pounded by artillery before going over the top into machine gun fire.

The opening months of the war with the schlieffen plan was actually a pretty quick and mobile one. This lasted untill the French finally brought up enough reserves to
blunt the german attack roughly 50 miles from Paris. Then came the race to the sea where both sides attempted to outflank each other while building up fortifications. It was only after that, that the trench warfare as we all know it set in.

Still that was just the Western front. The Eastern front was huge and had a lot of different terrain like fighting on small boats in flooded swamps, vast open plains where armored cars were used, and massive medival styled fortress towns.

The Italian campaign was literally a mountain of one. Soldiers climbing up shear rock faces as riccohets cause stone fragments to go flying and explosions depositing rock slides everywhere.

All this and I haven't even gotten to the air war, the introduction of tank warfare, or the classic cavalry charges in the middle east.

The Great War has so much potential.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I will buy this game.

May wait for the price to drop because of the infamous reputation EA/Dice has when releasing a new game. But Battlefield 4 is one of my favorites, and have wanted a WW1 game for a while. Always loved the brothers in arms, medal of honor, and even earlier releases of COD.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Looking forward to seeing some gameplay. Will probably buy the game regardless since I'm all about BF. Interesting to see that they've gone in a different direction instead of more future crap.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As a history buff and major, i have to nod my head in approval towards DICE.

It looks like they put a fair amount of research into it. All the smaller details of the war; horses and cavalrymen, tanks, air battles, zeppelins and even what looked like naval battles. They clearly didn't settle for the tired old "the war was fought in the trenches" only retelling that seems to be prevalent these days.

I dunno if i get it day one, but i will pick it up at some point.

While this is basically what i've been asking for going on years I am a little unsure on the look... the characters don't look flu ridden or malnourished or dirty or injured enough and the landscape should be a fing nightmare... it looks way to clean.

World War 1 is a big thing for me. I transcribed the diaries of soldiers for a museum for a year, had most of my fathers extended family die in WW1 and last year traveled to the Somme and then to Galipoli.

jfpAJwQ.jpg

world-war-one-causes-resized.jpg

wounded-930x600.jpg

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Like I said in the other thread that was asking if we wanted another WWII FPS there is actually quite a lot more to the First World War than sitting in trenches getting pounded by artillery before going over the top into machine gun fire.

The opening months of the war with the schlieffen plan was actually a pretty quick and mobile one. This lasted untill the French finally brought up enough reserves to
blunt the german attack roughly 50 miles from Paris. Then came the race to the sea where both sides attempted to outflank each other while building up fortifications. It was only after that, that the trench warfare as we all know it set in.

Still that was just the Western front. The Eastern front was huge and had a lot of different terrain like fighting on small boats in flooded swamps, vast open plains where armored cars were used, and massive medival styled fortress towns.

The Italian campaign was literally a mountain of one. Soldiers climbing up shear rock faces as riccohets cause stone fragments to go flying and explosions depositing rock slides everywhere.

All this and I haven't even gotten to the air war, the introduction of tank warfare, or the classic cavalry charges in the middle east.

The Great War has so much potential.

Oh god or the Turkish campaign to the Battle of Sarikamish, one of the worst plans ever.

Or the Battle of Tannenberg where the Russians lost 170,000 men killed or captured to the German's 15,000...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Russia's foray into the war in general was a catastrophic failure.

They had the largest army, sure, but they were woefully under-trained and worse, under-equipped. If i recall, my reading led me to a statistic that the Russians had enough arms for only like one out of every 3 troops.

Then it got worse when the Czar took personal command...

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Russia's foray into the war in general was a catastrophic failure.

They had the largest army, sure, but they were woefully under-trained and worse, under-equipped. If i recall, my reading led me to a statistic that the Russians had enough arms for only like one out of every 3 troops.

Then it got worse when the Czar took personal command...

It's based in WW2 but the movie Enemy at the Gates touches on this a bit at the beginning. I'm not sure how true it is, but the start of the movie is a bunch of Russian soldiers invading a Russian town loading all the men up into a freight car and sending them straight to the front lines. They hand them a rifle to every other person some lucky to have more then a few bullets, and tell them to march forward immediately into gun fire under the threat of being shot if they tried to run.

Sep 19, 2008
Did remind me a little of my BF1942 days and I do like the horses

Still on the fence about this one

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
It's based in WW2 but the movie Enemy at the Gates touches on this a bit at the beginning. I'm not sure how true it is, but the start of the movie is a bunch of Russian soldiers invading a Russian town loading all the men up into a freight car and sending them straight to the front lines. They hand them a rifle to every other person some lucky to have more then a few bullets, and tell them to march forward immediately into gun fire under the threat of being shot if they tried to run.

That story is pretty true from the battle of Stalingrad. The first world war was much worse. instead of every other guy getting a rifle, some regiments were sent at the enemy lines with nothing.

I think like LickTheEnvelope alluded to the battle of Sarikamish was much worse. After a coup in 1913 the Ottoman Empire joined the side of the Central Power's and invaded Russia when war broke out. This invasion was about 100,000 strong and led by the Ottoman war minister himself Enver Pasha. The mistake he made was attacking in January in the middle of winter with troops more prepared for desert fighting that had never seen snow.

He lost almost half of his army to the cold weather before he even got to Sarikamish. Once there he attacked a numerically superior force that was already dug in and prepared. Taking almost 30,000 killed in battle he retreated and lost more soldiers to the elements.

In the end he had less than 10,000 troops out of the nearly 100,000 soldiers that had embarked on the campaign. To make things worse Enver Pasha refused to take the blame for the outcome and made a scapegoat out of the Armenian soldiers under his command saying they defected to the Russian and underminded moral. As punishment he kicked off the Armenian genocide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad