Battlefield 1 - Charging Tanks on Horses Since 1914

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's based in WW2 but the movie Enemy at the Gates touches on this a bit at the beginning. I'm not sure how true it is, but the start of the movie is a bunch of Russian soldiers invading a Russian town loading all the men up into a freight car and sending them straight to the front lines. They hand them a rifle to every other person some lucky to have more then a few bullets, and tell them to march forward immediately into gun fire under the threat of being shot if they tried to run.

If you haven't yet, play the original Call of Duty (from 2003). The Soviet campaign starts with a mission that mimics that scene from the movie in almost every detail, from the river crossing under air attack to instructions and threats about desertion being blasted into your ears to every other man receiving a rifle. In fact, just like in the movie, your character doesn't get a rifle and you have to wait for your partner to be killed before you can pick up his rifle and finally return fire. It's pretty intense. Every time that I watch Enemy at the Gates, I get the itch to replay Call of Duty, largely for that mission.

Sep 19, 2008
Little concerned about weapon accuracy and recoil

I mean just remember 1942 and the reticule :laugh:

Great thing about modern BF franchise is the ability to modify your gun, add new zooms, night vision, et cetera. Curious whether EA will put that in, although they promised they would. I try to be optimistic and open minded but all my time spent playing 2/3/4 has left me very biased in favor of the new era.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not being able to bail from your vehicle is probably my favorite change.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not being able to bail from your vehicle is probably my favorite change.

Where have you read/heard that? I've heard only that certain vehicles will be class specific, so that a tank driver can't fly planes and a pilot can't drive tanks, for example. That most likely does not mean that a tank driver is restricted from leaving the tank. That would be absolutely stupid, both realistically and fun-wise. There are also other vehicles, like cars and horses, that are pretty much pointless to even have in the game if you can't get out/off of them.

I imagine that a tank driver will be able to drive/control and hop between just about anything besides planes (or zeppelins) and a pilot will be able to do the same with anything besides tanks. In other words, I expect a little restriction, but not nearly enough that it's not BF anymore.

Beyond stressing expertise, another reason could be to curb abuse. For example, in other BF games, snipers could fly planes to hard-to-reach locations, only to abandon them and snipe from those positions. If DICE restricts things so that you can't be a sniper and have the ability to fly, then they greatly reduce that problem.

Maybe you're referring to something else, like pilots not being able to eject in flight (since there were no parachutes) or players not being able to exit vehicles that are in motion. Those could make sense. Not being able to exit vehicles at all makes no sense, though.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You can obviously get out of light and open topped vehicles (horsies)

You'll probably be bolted in to planes and tanks, though. No insta hopping out to repair, then back in. No bailing. You go down with the vehicle. It's going to be necessary because I imagine the anti-tank weaponry in this game will be a lot less spammable. There's also no guided ordnance for shooting down planes, so it makes sense to raise the stakes on both sides.

For WW1 to work, they need to up the realism a bit compared to BF4. They also must sell a game that feels different, so I'm confident there will be some rather large design decisions going on. Separating the assault and medic class is a good preview of that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You can obviously get out of light and open topped vehicles (horsies)

You'll probably be bolted in to planes and tanks, though. No insta hopping out to repair, then back in. No bailing. You go down with the vehicle. It's going to be necessary because I imagine the anti-tank weaponry in this game will be a lot less spammable. There's also no guided ordnance for shooting down planes, so it makes sense to raise the stakes on both sides.

It just sounds like you're speculating, based not on any info that's leaked, but on what you think would be realistic. When has Battlefield ever been realistic, though? All kinds of concessions are made at the expense of reality and in the name of fun. It's simply not fun to be stuck in a vehicle. It would also hurt the game to have people who aren't using the vehicle seriously or are attempting to crash it in order to get out of operating it. You need to let people leave for the sake of fun, whether it's realistic or not, and that's what DICE has always done. If you've actually read or heard that they're going to go against their game design philosophy and lock players into vehicles for the first time, then a link would be really appreciated. If you're just speculating, though, I wish that you wouldn't, or at least not make it sound like it's something that will be in the game.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
It just sounds like you're speculating, based not on any info that's leaked, but on what you think would be realistic. When has Battlefield ever been realistic, though? All kinds of concessions are made at the expense of reality and in the name of fun. It's simply not fun to be stuck in a vehicle. It would also hurt the game to have people who aren't using the vehicle seriously or are attempting to crash it in order to get out of operating it. You need to let people leave for the sake of fun, whether it's realistic or not, and that's what DICE has always done. If you've actually read or heard that they're going to go against their game design philosophy and lock players into vehicles for the first time, then a link would be really appreciated. If you're just speculating, though, I wish that you wouldn't, or at least not make it sound like it's something that will be in the game.

I don't see it to be a big deal to be honest. There were plenty of instances where I stayed in a damaged vehicle (while not an engineer) and took the risk of getting blown up so I could possibly deal some damage/get kills. They have a similar mechanic in Battlefront where jumping out of tie fighters/xwings takes time to bail out of, and it really isn't really an issue.

The one thing that killed me in other Battlefield games was seeing players bail out of their vehicle when they went under attack, I'm all for a change that could prevent this. Even if it was only a timer on how long it took to bail from certain vehicles.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
The game is $49,99 right now on Amazon... pretty goal deal considering it will be probably go for $79,99.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
this gameplay stream....

looks a little too Hardliney..... eek

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
never mind, im enjoying it alot more than at first. looks really cool

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tank drivers and pilots are a class you have to select and they don't get gear as good as infantry outside the vehicle. Good choice.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Hopefully they fix the planes collision mechanics...

Going headfirst into a windmill and into the ground and not blowing up :laugh:

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Hopefully the bayonet charge is not an unblockable ranged melee attack, but everything looks great so far. Some of those shots of soldiers in villages especially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad