Which?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Tough decision. I do enjoy watching Barzal and believe that a 70 point (still has a chance to hit 80) rookie year is unheard of. However, Matthews did score 40g, and looks poised to do such again next year barring any injuries. Tough choice indeed depending on what your team needs are (playmaking C who can drive the play, or big two way F who is a potential 40g threat), I'm still leaning towards Matthews based solely on his prowess to find the back of the net.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This thread asked who had a better rookie season. Not the criteria you and @Kelly tried to insert here. Barzal may still hit 80 points this season. Something around the 30 point mark you questioned, something about an unsustainable 12% shooting %. You would be better off just admitting you were wrong about him falling off a cliff as the sample of games grew narrative you like to bring up often here, and just give him credit as others have.

Barzal has 70 points in 70 games in today's game for a rookie, this is hard to do. Is this a big enough sample for you now? Really has fallen off there right bud? So take your pick, he is producing more impressively than Matthews as a rookie, and as a 20 year old. Whether you want to use PPG or actual production of 70 to 50 this season.

Variables/context of rookie seasons absolutely need to come into any type of comparison between two players. It would be pointless to ignore them. Ignore them if you so choose, but it leads to poor analysis (something you’re quite familiar with lol).

Also, if you haven’t noticed, but Barzals goal scoring DID cool down from earlier in the season lol (can’t even keep your own arguments straight).

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I think Barzal has had the more impressive rookie season, but I do think that Matthews will have the better career.

Matthews season was somewhat expected, being a 1oa pick and having a fair bit of hype. He lived up to that hype. I don't think many people would have picked Barzal to have this type of year. He is a crazy dynamic player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Variables/context of rookie seasons absolutely need to come into any type of comparison between two players. It would be pointless to ignore them. Ignore them if you so choose, but it leads to poor analysis (something you’re quite familiar with lol).

Also, if you haven’t noticed, but Barzals goal scoring DID cool down from earlier in the season lol (can’t even keep your own arguments straight).
Throwing mud on the wall and hoping it sticks does not get you off that easy here. Where were you in Barzal threads when he passed that magical sample of 61 pts? Where were you he hit that 69 pts. And now 70 when you cited Barzal's unsustainable 12% shooting pertentage. You all but inferred he was going to fall off a cliff at the 30 game mark. Now he has reached and surpassed those magical barriers. It's crickets from you. Isles and Barzal fans recall your posts. Lol

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews, easily.

He is so much more defensively responsible, while still putting up 40 Goals. Led his team to the playoffs while facing the tough matchups, night in, night out. No Tavares to help shoulder the load either.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just a note. Barzal still has 12 games to add to his rookie season. 80 pts is not out of the question. That would put him in very select rookie company.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Throwing mud on the wall and hoping it sticks does not get you off that easy here. Where were you in Barzal threads when he passed that magical sample of 61 pts? Where were you he hit that 69 pts. And now 70 when you cited Barzal's unsustainable 12% shooting pertentage. You all but inferred he was going to fall off a cliff at the 30 game mark. Now he has reached and surpassed those magical barriers. It's crickets from you. Isles and Barzal fans recall your posts. Lol

While it’s always cute that you pay so close attention to my posts, I predicted that his goal scoring rate wouldn’t last - and my analysis seemed to be proven correct. Nice try though ;)

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Just a note. Barzal still has 12 games to add to his rookie season. 80 pts is not out of the question. That would put him in very select rookie company.

Yeah yeah. Even if he reaches 80, I still take what rookie Matthews and Laine did last season over what Barzal is doing now.

Can’t ignore context, Bucky. Only looking at point production and pretty much nothing else is a very flawed way to analyze players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
While it’s always cute that you pay so close attention to my posts, I predicted that his goal scoring rate wouldn’t last - and my analysis seemed to be proven correct. Nice try though ;)
You can't even get that right. He is shooting 12% right now. Maybe it would help next time if you knew Barzal is an elite playmaking Center before making posts that his production is going to fall off a cliff due to all things a 12% shooting percentage. It's one of the dumbest assertions I have come across in all my time on these boards.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You can't even get that right. He is shooting 12% right now. Maybe it would help next time if you knew Barzal is an elite playmaking Center before making posts that his production is going to fall off a cliff due to all things a 12% shooting percentage. It's one of the dumbest assertions I have come across in all my time on these boards.

Previous claims about Barzal had nothing to do with total production - but rather goal scoring, which again, cooled off considerably for him this season.

Mintoregano

Oct 4, 2017
Matthews, easily.

He is so much more defensively responsible, while still putting up 40 Goals. Led his team to the playoffs while facing the tough matchups, night in, night out. No Tavares to help shoulder the load either.

Not to mention much less powerplay time, two rookie linemates and in a year where scoring was way down compared to this yr. Barzal is very impressive but the answer should be clear here

Reactions: Menzinger

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Previous claims about Barzal had nothing to do with total production - but rather goal scoring, which again, cooled off considerably for him this season.

Then why did you bring up that magical 61 point sample size? And until Barzal reached this mythical barrier. You were dismissing his fast start at the 30 game mark until a bigger sample size was reached. Well here we are at the 70 game sample mark. Barzal has 70 points.

Is Barzal's rookie season not legitimate as the ones you recognized with far less points at 61 or 69 over 82 games and not 70?

BTW Barzal is still shooting 12% currently as he was when you posted he would not be able to sustain a 12% shooting percentage at the 30 game mark. So whatever your reason for posting this was, Isles and Barzal fans know. <wink wink> You were wrong on what ever acccount you now want to portray.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Then why did you bring up that magical 61 point sample size? And until Barzal reached this mythical barrier. You were dismissing his fast start at the 30 game mark until a bigger sample size was reached. Well here we are at the 70 game sample mark. Barzal has 70 points.

Is Barzal's rookie season not legitimate as the ones you recognized with far less points at 61 or 69 over 82 games and not 70?

BTW Barzal is still shooting 12% currently as he was when you posted he would not be able to sustain a 12% shooting percentage at the 30 game mark. So whatever your reason for posting this was, Isles and Barzal fans knows. <wink wink> You were wrong on all acccounts.

Lol what are you even talking about anymore?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm not sure it is an easy comparison.

Barzal's points are sexy but he has Taveres taking the top match ups where as Matthews was dealing with being a #1 C right off that bat. Always makes me think of Bernie Nichols for some reason.

Then compare systems and the Islanders is more conducive to offense.

Ice time? Looks about the same, and I'm not sure what Barzal's power play situation is, I'd guess he's on the top unit but could be wrong.

Matthews is also the superior possession/defensive player with two less year grooming in the minors after draft.

It's hard to say which accomplishment is greater and the Islander's have a lot to be excited about but I like my guy.

Heck of a year, would be interesting to see how he would do as the man.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know what Barzal's stats are when playing 5v5 but last season and up until his most recent injury, Matthews was leading the NHL in 5v5 scoring. So that should account for a lot because he is not always relying on the power play.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
The guy who can put the puck in the net, was the #1 C for a team that was anchored by mostly young inexperienced players that actually made the playoffs.

I’m sure none of those things matter though if one guy ends up with 10ish more points in the regular season.

Barzal is having a wonderful rookie season, I don’t want my tone from above to try and discredit the fact that he is having a great season. Just not as valuable of a rookie season that AM had last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille