Which?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Barzal not close.
He's on pace for 82 pts and if he does get that, it is way more impressive than the 69 pts Matthews got

Reactions: No Draft

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Went with Barzal. If he keeps his pace it's going to be more impressive.

Both have a great track record from their rookie seasons.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Scoring is up this year so you can't directly compare totals. Matthews finished 20th in scoring, and 30th in PPG among those who played at least 40 games, while Barzal is currently tied for 17th in points, and 21st in PPG. So edge Barzal, but not by as much. Matthews was also the better goalscorer and his inordinate lack of 2nd assists may have been an anomaly that made his totals underrate his total offensive contributions. He was also the better player away from the puck. I think it's close but I would give a slight edge to Matthews.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Switch goalies and Leafs don't make the playoffs and Isles do.
You need to stop making excuses. Leafs were The LAST place team in the nhl the year Matthews was drafted. He played on a line with 2 other rookies and led them to the playoffs, on a team with 7 other rookies (Hyman, brown, Marner, carrick, Zaitsev, nylander, Soshnkkov) he was the one other teams focused on. If all you’re looking at are points than you truly don’t understand how monumental what Matthews actually did.

This site is too quick to discredit what Matthews and the leafs did.

No one gave the leafs a chance to be relevant that year and Matthews made sure they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: bionic

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Barzal is having a better rookie season however they are the same age. Matthews is clearly the superior player.

Reactions: daddy

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Scoring is up this year so you can't directly compare totals. Matthews finished 20th in scoring, and 30th in PPG among those who played at least 40 games, while Barzal is currently tied for 17th in points, and 21st in PPG. So edge Barzal, but not by as much. Matthews was also the better goalscorer and his inordinate lack of 2nd assists may have been an anomaly that made his totals underrate his total offensive contributions. He was also the better player away from the puck. I think it's close but I would give a slight edge to Matthews.

Yeah, this is my reasoning too. Matthews by a slim margin, slim enough so that Barzal can still improve enough for me to pick him at the end of the year.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Mathews because I value goals much higher. Say 2pts a goal, 1pt for a primary, .5 for secondary. I have never liked assists being part of scoring. Guys can have 100pts and win the scoring title with 50 secondaries, 30 primaries, and 20 goals. That's just not impressive to me. When goalies can get secondary assists and a half points that just shows that it's not always a skilled situation. So 40 goals for an 18 year old kid on a terrible team with below-average linemates is a much more impressive situation then barzel playing with decent linemates and racking up assists.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Voted Matthews.

1) He didn't have the luxury of playing behind JT. Auston was the 1C by year's end.
2) He led the team to the playoffs.
3) Better play away from the puck.

All in all, close to a pick 'em. Both had awesome seasons.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Wow, that Freddy Andersen, must be the best goalie in the league with praise like this.
He is really good at the very least. Guy plays behind a team that lets up among the most shots in the league in combination with among most starts in the league (if not the most??) Meaning he faces most shots out of any goalie and he still has very respectible numbers, now i havent dug deeper to the qualiry of shots he is facing and such but im sure that he is a very good goalie and immensly valuable to the leafs.

I have seen that guy save alot of sure goals.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I've been more impressed by Barzal as a rookie, but he's obviously a few years older than Matthews was.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Mathews because I value goals much higher. Say 2pts a goal, 1pt for a primary, .5 for secondary. I have never liked assists being part of scoring. Guys can have 100pts and win the scoring title with 50 secondaries, 30 primaries, and 20 goals. That's just not impressive to me. When goalies can get secondary assists and a half points that just shows that it's not always a skilled situation. So 40 goals for an 18 year old kid on a terrible team with below-average linemates is a much more impressive situation then barzel playing with decent linemates and racking up assists.

This is silly. An entire play can be created by the player getting a secondary assist. A goal can also be an easy tap in.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Which one is better? Barzal currently at 70 pts, Matthews had 69 pts total.

We still have 12 games to play. Barzal will better 69 points easily. If Barzal gets close to 80 points, I would give him the edge. Right now it is a toss up 70 points in 70 games or 40 goals in 82. Points wise Barzal would win the Calder.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He is really good at the very least. Guy plays behind a team that lets up among the most shots in the league in combination with among most starts in the league (if not the most??) Meaning he faces most shots out of any goalie and he still has very respectible numbers, now i havent dug deeper to the qualiry of shots he is facing and such but im sure that he is a very good goalie and immensly valuable to the leafs.

I have seen that guy save alot of sure goals.
He is, but to say the only reason we're making the playoffs is because of him is just wrong.

Leafs are a real good team, really deep offense, average defense, and a top ten goalie is why we're a top ten team in the league, not solely because of Andersen.

Reactions: Sojourn

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews Draft + 1 vs Barzal Draft +3 right?

im still taking to 40g guy who led his team to the playoffs over the guy who may hit 20g on an awful team

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->