• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Mathews because I value goals much higher. Say 2pts a goal, 1pt for a primary, .5 for secondary. I have never liked assists being part of scoring. Guys can have 100pts and win the scoring title with 50 secondaries, 30 primaries, and 20 goals. That's just not impressive to me. When goalies can get secondary assists and a half points that just shows that it's not always a skilled situation. So 40 goals for an 18 year old kid on a terrible team with below-average linemates is a much more impressive situation then barzel playing with decent linemates and racking up assists.

so youre saying 80 assists isn't impressive

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Scoring is up this year so you can't directly compare totals. Matthews finished 20th in scoring, and 30th in PPG among those who played at least 40 games, while Barzal is currently tied for 17th in points, and 21st in PPG. So edge Barzal, but not by as much. Matthews was also the better goalscorer and his inordinate lack of 2nd assists may have been an anomaly that made his totals underrate his total offensive contributions. He was also the better player away from the puck. I think it's close but I would give a slight edge to Matthews.
You cant compare scoring from year to year, especially when there have been no major rule changes. Sometimes players just have a good season. Saying scoring is up this year is irrelevant.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Mathews because I value goals much higher. Say 2pts a goal, 1pt for a primary, .5 for secondary. I have never liked assists being part of scoring. Guys can have 100pts and win the scoring title with 50 secondaries, 30 primaries, and 20 goals. That's just not impressive to me. When goalies can get secondary assists and a half points that just shows that it's not always a skilled situation. So 40 goals for an 18 year old kid on a terrible team with below-average linemates is a much more impressive situation then barzel playing with decent linemates and racking up assists.
first off matthews was not an 18 year old kid he was 19 going on 20 for most of the season after having already played a year pro in Switzerland. Second of all 2 points for a goal is a joke, you're just trying to make things up to fit your narrative.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Are we including playoffs as well? Matthews has 4 goals, 5 points in 6 games against the # 1 team in the NHL regular season

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You cant compare scoring from year to year, especially when there have been no major rule changes. Sometimes players just have a good season. Saying scoring is up this year is irrelevant.

Scoring IS up this year. By about .2 GPG. PPs are also up, which is partly the reason for the goal increase, which also means a larger percentage of the scoring increase will be felt by top 6 players. How is that irrelevant?

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
first off matthews was not an 18 year old kid he was 19 going on 20 for most of the season after having already played a year pro in Switzerland. Second of all 2 points for a goal is a joke, you're just trying to make things up to fit your narrative.
When's his birthday? It would have to be stupid late for him to turn 20 the year after he was drafted. He should still be 20 now I'm pretty sure. The Swiss thing was in place of his senior year in HS. Hell Laine isn't even 20 yet. I don't think you know what you are talking about. And this isn't to favor Mathews over Barzel I just don't respect secondary assists being considered the same as a goal it makes no sense. A goal is you physically giving your team a tangible point on the scoreboard that can help them win a game. You just so happening to be the 2nd to last person to touch it before that goal is likely had no difference but in stats they count that equal and it's not. If that's the case the prime hank sedin would be worth Ovi++++++ because his 10 goals and 100 assists were the most dominating force hockey had ever seen!!!!

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
but if youre talking about playoffs doesn't it make sense to talk about the best playoff team?

(and to answer your question, go ahead and count it, barzal will still have more points)
What does it have to do with anything? We shouldn’t talk about Matthews in the playoffs cause he didn’t face Pittsburgh? You do know you can be the #1 team in the regular season and not win the cup.....

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
but if youre talking about playoffs doesn't it make sense to talk about the best playoff team?

(and to answer your question, go ahead and count it, barzal will still have more points)

Ok, let’s wait and compare Brazal’s rookie playoff scoring to AM’s numbers last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Lol no it's not it was established in the off season that they were going to call hooking, holding and slashing more often which they did and it has directly resulted in more scoring across the league. Just look at the top 50 scorers the last 4 seasons compared to this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->